Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, if you can do those calculations, by what percentage would it improve mpg to put 33" tires on my OBX with the 4.27 axle?
I'm getting 1953 rpm at 70mph. I don't know how that is going to affect mpg but it's definitely in a reasonable range. I'd guess 1-2 mpg better than a sasquatch.

This is what I use for the calculations. The 10A has a 0.636 overdrive. http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html
Sponsored

ldstruckn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Raptor, xterra pro4-x, 2018 sti, bmw x1
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Fuel economy tests aren't setting the cruise at 65mph. Compare the EPA numbers on your raptor. Only fair comparison.
my raptor's window sticker says 18 which is more than the bronco's window sticker...would make more since if the raptor had a smaller, more efficient engine or weighed less than the bronco but neither are true.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am seeing a recurring theme around here. If, If & buts were candy and nuts we might just get our Bronco's by Christmas. Which Christmas is anyone's guess. :cool:

DustyBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

On the other hand, you can get 60MPG+ with the plug in hybrid Pacifica and you can fit an entire mattress in the back for your overlanding adventures:

Pacifica.jpg
Cactus Grey looking good with black wheels...

GoldenKnight

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
my raptor's window sticker says 18 which is more than the bronco's window sticker...would make more since if the raptor had a smaller, more efficient engine or weighed less than the bronco but neither are true.
Raptor isn't shaped like a box either

Sponsored

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

There is no need for that kind of torque in a rig with such a limited payload and tow rating. You can't really tow with it, you can't really haul with it, it will make for a crappy racecar... it is what it is and it doesn't need 400+lb-ft to lug itself around. My old junk may not have the torque to match a Bronco but payload and tow ratings are there so I can actually use what I do have.

The Bronco is not for me, it can not do what I need to do. But when my wife's future car gets the same rating as what my old junks get real world... I start doing comparisons in my head. Especially when it starts smelling like gas Super Duty mileage. There being such a swing between trim levels is also thought provoking.

In my opinion yes.

The OBX rolls on 32's and is rated 4mpg highway better than a BD which also rolls on 32's. OBX has 3.73's standard, 4.27 optional with locker. BD only has 4.46 with locker. My money says they tested the 3.73 OBX.

I actually checked into switching to OBX but when you add advanced 4wd it adds the locker and 4.27's so they getcha there.

It is a shame that the 3.73 is not an option
in BD, go ahead and throw in a locker too. The parts exist because that is the only ratio they make for the Ranger and it has a locker in the same rear axle they put under a Bronco. I guess I am spoiled by the truck market where they don't have all these trim levels and you can just pick your gears and if you want a locker.

I still don't get how a SAS gets the same mileage as a BD while it is spinning heavier, wider more aggressive tires though.
I was thinking the same thing today. Ford could have went with a 3.45. or 3.55 road gearing in the OBX since it is designed to be more for the DD, mall crawler, light off roader group like me, and put the 3.73 on the option list. They have done this with other vehicles in the past, and I'm surprised they didn't do something like that. Oh well, I've gotta a lot of thinking to do before the '22 order banks open.

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Raptor isn't shaped like a box either
This is the piece many aren't getting who are comparing mileage to other types of vehicles like the Ranger or F-150. The aerodynamics on this thing are AWFUL for fuel efficiency - much worse than a Ranger or F-150. That isn't a knock - it's designed that way for a reason - but it is reality.

It's why highway mileage isn't a bigger difference, and in fact in a couple cases the same or worse than city mileage. Wind resistance at 70+mph is going to kill mileage no matter how you drive it.

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
How does the 2.3 badlands get 17 combined but when you add the Sasquatch (2.3 Sasquatch) it goes up to 18 combined?

adding Sasquatch gives you better MPG? It is better only on the highway and I guess the bigger tires don't need to turn at as high an rpm for the same speed but this is a surprise too me.

I guess Sasquatch is the way to go.

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
I was thinking the same thing today. Ford could have went with a 3.45. or 3.55 road gearing in the OBX since it is designed to be more for the DD, mall crawler, light off roader group like me, and put the 3.73 on the option list. They have done this with other vehicles in the past, and I'm surprised they didn't do something like that. Oh well, I've gotta a lot of thinking to do before the '22 order banks open.
with a 3.45 or 3.55 and the ten speed you have 3 over dive gears and you would never be in the top gear. Only with the 3.73 or lower does the top get become usable.

I have had other trucks where I could only use the top gear going down hill because the diff gearing was too high.

Ecobeast

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’m only really surprised that so many here are surprised by these numbers at all. I also think that there’s still a group who’s going to be surprised that they never hit these numbers going down the highway on 35s at 75mph. With aerodynamics like this I’m thinking the MPG will drop hard at faster highway speeds. The bronco is a brick shaped 4x4. You gotta love it for what it is or look elsewhere it can’t be everything to everyone.

Sponsored

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
with a 3.45 or 3.55 and the ten speed you have 3 over dive gears and you would never be in the top gear. Only with the 3.73 or lower does the top get become usable.

I have had other trucks where I could only use the top gear going down hill because the diff gearing was too high.
Yeah, I think 3.73 as an option for everything 32" tire and under across the board would be awesome. Clearly it works on both the Ranger and the OBX.

Too high of rear gear is no fun.

Username_not_found

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
There seems to be a typo in the Ford/Bronco Nation document. Originally Badlands is on the 2.7 spreadsheet twice but if you go to Bronco Nation website it is revised and under 2.7 the non Sas BD is now grouped with the Base. BB and OBX in 2.7 mpg.
This just adds to the confusion. So the 2.7L gets worse MPG than the 2.3 for Base, Big Bend, OBX, but manages to improve for the Black Diamond? Additionally, the Black Diamond gets the same MPG as the sasquatch on 35s for the 2.3L engine?

ManSquatch

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Bronco, 17' F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How does the manual get worse mileage than the auto? There's no torque converter