Sponsored

Oil change in my 2.7L - how much capacity?

STONEWALKER

Wildtrak
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wildtrak, 2020 VW Cross Sport
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Howdy folks, got a question for you that could be answered by looking at my owners manual but I'm not anywhere near my ride at the moment and I need to pick it up on my way home. How much oil will I need to complete the oil change in my 2.7L? I've looked online and everything says 6 quarts, but every video I see says they use 7 quarts. I know that I should just get extra but I was gonna purchase from Costco today and they only sell in 6 packs.

Thank you in advance for your time and response.
Sponsored

OP
OP
STONEWALKER

STONEWALKER

Wildtrak
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Sponsored

Todd H.

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I replaced with 6 qts. only - I double checked after a couple weeks and the dip stick reads FULL. Not just enough, not mostly full, but FULL.

OP
OP
STONEWALKER

STONEWALKER

Wildtrak
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It's funny how it all varies from person to person. I let mine drain fully while we ate dinner, added 6 quarts to the last drop and cycled the engine to prime the system. After a 60 idle, the stick read low. After a couple of glugs from the next (7th) quart the stick read perfect middle. So anyways, I have a spare 3/4 of a quart of oil in the back just incase.

Thank you all for the feedback, it was nice to get under there and show her some love.
Side note: I was shocked to see how much dirt and mud was still underneath crammed in all the available spots including the top side of the bashplates and splash guards. I will certainly have to work on my post play cleanup routine!

wjtinfwb

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep GC, Excursion, Focus ST, Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Mine is pretty close to full after 6 qts., another 1/4 bottle and it's perfect. Same is true of our Focus ST which also uses 5w-30. I always have a half container available as a result.

bravely

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
3490 s leonard rd, new palestine in 46163
Vehicle(s)
1973 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Howdy folks, got a question for you that could be answered by looking at my owners manual but I'm not anywhere near my ride at the moment and I need to pick it up on my way home. How much oil will I need to complete the oil change in my 2.7L? I've looked online and everything says 6 quarts, but every video I see says they use 7 quarts. I know that I should just get extra but I was gonna purchase from Costco today and they only sell in 6 packs.

Thank you in advance for your time and response.
This has been discussed a lot. When I brought mine home, the first thing I did was check the oil level. It was a bit over the full mark; so, that's where I fill it to...about 6.5 qts

OP
OP
STONEWALKER

STONEWALKER

Wildtrak
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Not a bad plan, thank you for sharing!

Sponsored

Dan-O

Outer Banks
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Just for future reference. If you have the Ford Pass app you can find owners manual there that states oil capacity 6 quarts. Wondering if filter is taking the additional .5 quart people are mentioning. Mine takes 6 even with filter change.

jim kufner

Black Diamond
First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think I ended up using like 6.25-6.5 when I changed mine
dip sticks for many auto. co. farmed out to china,cheaper make shure the correct dipstick is being supplyed to ford. had big problem with cat engins once.

WarthogJr

Black Diamond
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What is the serial number on the dipstick? How long is it in mm? From the tip, how many inches before the hash marks begin? What is the exact degree of vehicle incline when you took the measurement? Ambient temperature? Tire pressure? Day of the week? Elapsed time after turning the engine off? Brand of oil? Type of rag? Pretty sure all of these have been discussed ad nauseum. Go with your gut…along with the spec of 6 qts in the manual.
Sponsored