Rockett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have a 2022 Big Bend with a 2.3L and "my dealer said" to change my oil every 7500 miles. Is that the right time? I have typically changed at 5000 with my other vehicles, but I haven't had a newer vehicle in a while. I was also wondering about the accuracy/validity of the Ford Pass app. I have 4700 miles and it says my oil life is at 54%. I appreciate any insight.
Sponsored

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
this is point of contention for many especially "old school" guys. The app is going off a 10k interval which is what I have been doing for about 10 yrs now since using full synthetic. Others cant bare to wait 10k. I will continue doing 10k changes.

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oil changes cost Ford, and most other manufacturers nothing, since consumers like us pay for them out of our own pockets. That said if changing your oil more often than at the recommended interval prevented engine wear and damage wouldn’t it make sense that Ford, and other manufacturers, would recommend changing oil more often to prevent engine damage and warranty claims that do cost them money?

So, maybe the dealer is recommending the oil be changed at 7,500 because they do make money from service. Nah, that couldn’t be it….

FurdBroncur

Big Bend
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have changed the oil once thus far on mine around 6000 miles. I have about 13k on it now and will likely change the oil once it gets cold here.

I don't anymore, but I worked with oil analysis and monitoring previously. Oil life really depends on how you drive and what loads (heavy towing or aggressive offroading) rather than a specific mileage. Colder weather also impacts oil life performance. That said, 5000 miles is very aggressive for typical light driving, but for someone who tows the max capacity every weekend might not be enough. I'm comfortable in the 8k -10k range for oil changes since my bronco is more of a daily driver than anything else.

Evans67bro

Black Diamond
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F250, 67Bronco,2022 BD,2023 BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
10,000 miles just as the manual states. Dealers make money on oil changes. And they tend to lead to other "maintenance " items the dealers make more money on. Modern engines with modern synthetic oils can easily go 10k. I have been doing 10k on all my ford trucks both work and personal and never had an issue for almost 20 years.

Sponsored

cyberfalco

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JK, 2000 Ram 2500, 1993 FZJ80, 1994 FZJ80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I use Amsoil on all of my vehicles and they all get an oil and filter change every 5000 miles or once a year whatever comes first.

Yeah, I have vehicles that barely make it 1000 miles in one year.

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If I only drove the Bronco all year long (which has been the trend this first year), I'd only put about 7500 miles on it in one year. Here in the NE, I am choosing to do an oil change and tire rotation every 6 months (before Summer and then before Winter). If I drove up to 20k miles a year, I would still do a twice a year schedule. If the Bronco was not my DD, I'd probably change it just once a year regardless of miles.

FlyingScot

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I've been doing 6k intervals, but for a modern full synthetic oil that's probably still a bit wasteful. Waiting on the most recent oil analysis from Blackstone before I start stretching it out.

The German brands are up around the ~10k mark on their OCIs without incident, and some of those engines can be pretty hard on the oil. If you feel like you have too much free time and a desire to pack on fairly useless knowledge, go poke around bobistheoilguy.com forums.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Intervals should vary based on usage. I drive a lot of city and offroad miles so I'm doing 5k intervals. I haven't checked the manual but often they have "severe duty" maintenance recommendations which are shorter.

I did my very first at 2500 to get that blend out of there and get right to full synthetic.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm a creature of habit, oil change and 5-wheel rotation faithfully every 5k running full synthetic

Sponsored

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Oil changes are cheap insurance. The only thing that happens to oil is it gets dirty from combustion.The combustion waste is what enters the oil and changes its ability to meet its minimum purpose. Regardless if it is synthetic, blend or good old dinosaur goo, the cleaner the oil the better. Changing it often ensures it is cleaner.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I change the oil in my 2019 VW Jetta every 5K. Per the manufacturer it says every 10K. It is so dirty at 5K, I can't imagine driving it more miles before I change it. I drive in a very hot climate- So Fl and it's driven about 70 miles a day.

To add to that I bought a used 2017 VW GTI a few years ago- certified with 6K on it. The oil I assume had been changed. At about 8700 miles I checked it and it looked very dark, so I decided to change it early. Filthy black and stanck up the garage. The filter was a cartridge type so I got to see the filter- it was sludge caked. So it had not been changed since new.

So, synthetic or not I change every 5K or once a year. My Bronco is coming up to only 2200 miles in 7 months so it will go 1 year before 5K miles, then I will change it. It still looks very clean so far.

GoTigersGoBronco

Badlands
First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If look at the oil at 5,000 miles, it will appear very dirty and smell diluted.

If you test the oil at 5,000 miles, the results will very likely show lots of life left and minimal dilution.

I change mine fairly frequently because I enjoy it. I will also admit, its not very necessary.

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I change every 5,000 miles because 10,000 is too long and anything in-between the math is too hard to keep track of.;)

And @GToddC5 ,
Point of order... South Jersey is not the North East!:LOL:
Ford Bronco Oil change insight 1668101595023

Or maybe you're more of a picture person:

Ford Bronco Oil change insight 1668101637450
Sponsored