Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco HE
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Has anyone tried or have a recommendation on a topside oil change? I've done this on German cars a lot and it works pretty well, usually every other change is a drain plug pull. Any risk to doing it on the 2.3 motor?
Sponsored

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I've always considered it, but the oil filter location and its drainage chute path makes it more practical to just drain the oil from the sump itself. Zapping off the skid plate bolts with an impact makes things so much easier.

I've also done extractor oil changes on a few other vehicles with top mounted oil filters and its so convenient.

67BroncoG1

Base
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2D Squatch, '67 Bronco, '24 Grenadier -ordered
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Land Rover actually provides a metal tube that goes to the bottom of oil pan. Just attach your vacuum extractor and change the easy to reach top mounted oil filter. It takes all of 5 minutes to change the oil.

Unfortunately the 2.3L oil filter is in a terrible location. I have considered installing a remote oil filter but it don't want to be the guinea pig.

OP
OP
HertiageMerica

HertiageMerica

Heritage
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco HE
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Land Rover actually provides a metal tube that goes to the bottom of oil pan. Just attach your vacuum extractor and change the easy to reach top mounted oil filter. It takes all of 5 minutes to change the oil.

Unfortunately the 2.3L oil filter is in a terrible location. I have considered installing a remote oil filter but it don't want to be the guinea pig.
Innovator and thought leader was what I was thinking would be the descriptor if you did the filter relocation 😜

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
I would say, try it. It kinda works for the 2.7 but there is around .25 qt left which is easy to handle after removing the dumb design drain that lets all 6 quarts out at once.

Gotchaa

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I used a mityvac a few times now for oil changes, it works fine from above. I plan on every 3rd change from the plug for good measure
Sponsored