First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge Charger RT 5.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yea if I had $80k there would be 0 chance of me spending it on a Defender lol. I would build and order the most glorious HD truck the world has ever seen instead.
Sponsored

tomdaniel

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

New Defender is way too bourgie for me. Might be a nice SUV, but doesn't fit my needs at all. Miss Beckham can keep it.

Brongo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
https://www.motortrend.com/news/land-rover-defender-2021-suv-of-the-year/

anyone else seen this? $80k Defender SUV of the year. how many people can afford that?? and it’s gonna be a mall crawler at that price point. so out of touch especially during these times...maybe it’s just me...
In all the trails and beaches I've ever been through, I've always seen lots of jeeps and pickups. I've never encountered a Land Rover. Maybe I need to go to classier trails and beaches.

JohnWayne

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2018 F350, 2015 Transit, 2015 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't mind how they look and the pricing is high but I would be very worried about the reliability. TFL purchased one for testing and it broke with with engine failure at less than 200 miles. The second unit was damaged by the dealer drilling through a wiring harness trying to mount a winch. They said the wiring harness couldn't be replaced so now they are on their third.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah, they aren't that expensive comparatively speaking. They start at $46k, more or less; Badlands prices.

TJconvert2.7

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Let’s not kid ourselves. The weight of the new defender means you’ll want to upgrade powertrain if you plan to do any off roading or overlanding that constantly takes you up big mountains. And that engine upgrade? $13,000
Their base power train is 19hp shy of the Broncos optional power train.

and weren’t 90s D90 engine specs nothing impressive? 182hp.

TJconvert2.7

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Land Rover offers TEN wheel options for the base D90, including 18” white steelies.

Ford offers 16” steelies.

cool Ford.

weird, and they have a white roof on their build and price.... so Jeep, Land Rover and Mini can supply white roofs (and Kia) but Ford dropped that ball...

Sponsored

BroncoTodd

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model X 100D
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm about to spend close to $60k on a FORD that doesn't even have leather or power seats, no option for a roof that can match the color of the body, can't bear the weight of a large child on the top, and can barely tow a canoe... so yeah, I can imagine $80k for an optioned out Defender.

Maybe the Bronco will get consideration next year. I'm not sure of the rules, but would guess that you would actually have to be in production by the time the car is reviewed to be in consideration. If not, at least be willing to hand over a version that is baked enough to give to evaluators at the car mags.

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I'm not a fan of the Defender. Too plasticky looking. I would get a RR Sport before I bought a Defender.

It won the SUV of the year because it's competition was quite lackluster.

Butzy

Base
First Name
Butzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 & bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Apparently, I'm way out of touch because I think the Bronco is pricey as all hell. 28500 for the base I could deal a little better with if Ford didn't skimp on the wheels. Though pre-approval could get me an FE, I don't see 60k in value here.

TJconvert2.7

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Looking at old Broncos on IG, I wish Ford offered a color matched dash

MississippiMule

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Toyota 4Runner, 1976 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Apparently, I'm way out of touch because I think the Bronco is pricey as all hell. 28500 for the base I could deal a little better with if Ford didn't skimp on the wheels. Though pre-approval could get me an FE, I don't see 60k in value here.
Costs less than a Jeep Wrangler a few years old and used with a soft top and not even close to the features of the Bronco Base.
Sponsored