_finack

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Lincoln MKZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Off topic 100% screw USAA. Flash back 18 year e-1 old me wants a sport bike. I'm pre-approved for 10k. Usaa sends me a blank check to take to the dealer for a bike... And they're cost savings structure is terrible. Higher rank you are better rates so low ranks get the shaft by making up for the colonel's savings.
Sounds like it's based on risk like any other loan.
Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

my bet is they went with that honeycomb design for weight reduction and it is proving too difficult to make and going to more traditional methods will result in a heavier top and throw their gvwrā€™s all out of whack. If you recall certain accessories were not allowed because they increased the gvwr too much, I wonder if this is part of the issue?
The big issue I still have with the whole honeycomb layer is that if it's been applied over the whole cap (where the majority of the delams appear to be happening), is too thin to provide any meaningful strength. My hypothesis is they have the base fiber layer, matrix, MIC veneer and the honeycomb sheet is a buffer for the MIC sheet to adhere to and allow for different expansion rates. Most new head gaskets are laminated steel to account for thermal expansion differences between the iron block and aluminum head. The point of a honeycomb for strength is that it retains its shape so that the upper and lower "veneers" have a rigid backing to disperse the loads. If it's crushed, there is no strength benefit and it just becomes a glob of crap that occupies a space.
I might be completely wrong but this is how it works in woodworking. If I was going to un cluck this in the short term it would be try and utilize the existing equipment but instead of applying the MIC veneer, just build a few more layers of fiberglass/epoxy, alternate a few layers of alternating direction woven fiberglass mat, gel coat and paint. Of course this would require equipment modification and more labor but I truly believe they could save the current design faster and cheaper than tooling up an entirely new plant. Long term? Sure, Webasto broke contract and has cost Ford tons of $$ and cred, so they should move on.

JDS

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TT Roadster, Reatta convertible.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The announcement is that with a little origami and some spray lacquer you can create a top of equal quality out of the drawings they sent earlier so problem solved.

Brongo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Would be very odd to send to homes...logistics nightmare. Probably some truth to replacements being sent and possibly quantities, etc... But they would ship to dealers, standard practice for recall.
My mailman is gonna be pissed.

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
As I prepare for my Off-Roadeo session this coming Monday, I hope to pick up some Bronco swag at 50% off! I see an opportunity! Ha-ha!!!
I love the shirts and hats that I bought, but be prepared for a disney type pricing experience. ;)

Sponsored

WyoBronc

Wildtrak
First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger, 2021 Bronco BB, 2006 Saturn Vue
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The Air Force is a heavily CYA environment.
You say that like itā€™s remotely true. Good thing Iā€™m saving all my venom for those ass hats at Ford.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's paid in full by my bank (USAA), I elected to use the 2% interest rate offered to allow me to invest in funds with a higher return... not hard to do.

Second, as noted elsewhere, when you order through Military Auto Source (which is an base exchange program that supposedly is to benefit the service member), you must provide all funds 30 days (or more) in advance of the delivery.

I think that covers it pretty concisely. The bottom line is that my Bronco is paid for and my Bronco has been built, so why hasn't it been shipped???

Screenshot 2021-08-11 at 22-51-05 Military AutoSource (MAS) Official Site Shop Your Military B...jpg
Just think of it as a lay-a-way program.
Lol

bigtexyahoocom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 S2000
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I felt the same way until we bought my wife's '18 Discovery. Been 3yrs with zero problems. These broncos can't go 3 days without issues at this point.
Thatā€™s awesome! Might have to reconsider if things have turned around for LR

Ig_bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sounds like it's based on risk like any other loan.
Sure there was no rate, no downpayment just "here's 10k and crippling debt"

Sponsored

RogueSqdn

First Edition
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

You say that like itā€™s remotely true. Good thing Iā€™m saving all my venom for those ass hats at Ford.
Well, my question to is whether you were ever on PRP? šŸ˜‰

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Webasto broke contract and has cost Ford tons of $$ and cred, so they should move on.
Phil....I see this as Ford using Webasto as a whipping boy to cover up their own cluck-up.

After all, the MIC top is Ford's engineering design, produced on equipment Ford owns, using commodities and processes Ford specified. Folks circling 2023 on their calendars for a Modular top should recognize that product was developed by the same Ford staff who brought you the famous MIC.

My guess from afar is that Farley tried to quickly make his reputation by cutting corners and understaffing critical areas of the organization. His chickens have come home to roost

TxBadlands

Badlands
First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jaguar f-pace
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I felt the same way until we bought my wife's '18 Discovery. Been 3yrs with zero problems. These broncos can't go 3 days without issues at this point.
Well you lucked out with Range Rover.. I ordered a 2018 Jaguar FPace in 2017 and they had to tow it off my driveway with 23 miles on it.. glitch in the computer had it not shifting out of eco mode after stopping and it wouldnā€™t fire on multiple cylinders. They ended up finally buying back my car and putting me in a new one at a 30k loss to them because they switched models and mine was no longer available with a 6cyl turbo.. but even with the new car, the media turns off and restarts while driving for no reason, half the time my Bluetooth chooses to not work or my usb connection fails.. itā€™s been a never ending stream of bullshit quirks since I got it. The biggest issue was/is them not believing me from the initial issues because the computer didnā€™t report any issues and still doesnā€™t.. or so they say. Iā€™m impressed and glad your car hasnā€™t been a dumpster fire like mine. Iā€™m still driving it, but my husband has sworn me off of ordering anymore cars after the jag and now the bronco fiasco šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø

Steelbama

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tacoma/2015 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
He is correct, the AF is a bureaucratic nightmare with piss poor leadership, shity standards and piss poor promotion culture. Pretty sure this is what all the services evolved into.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.