Sponsored

Poll: 17" or 18" wheels with 35" tires

Which do you feel looks better, 17" or 18" wheels with 35" tires?

• Total voters

Wtb13000

Wildtrak
First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Alright, should be a simple poll, but feel free to add in your reasoning in the comments.

I used the word "looks" intentionally and kept it close with 17"-18" to assume those are the best performing for off-roading/35" tires, but all reasons are welcome in the end.
Sponsored

gerby151

Badlands
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22Bronco Badlands (Honcho) '09 Harley Davidson
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would think for off roading it would be a combo of smaller diameter wheel and the lowest load rating you could get for the best sidewall flex. Obviously you do need a tough sidewall for puncture resistance.

NormanBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Cheese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I went with 17s and have 37 inch tires but the local dealership has several broncos on the lot with 18" rims and 35" tires and I think they look great

MJJ

Wildtrak
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon, Jeep Wagoneer, Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
17’s look better Than 18’s. It all depends if you can get the wheel you want in a 17”. Some only make 18 and above.

Roofus

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

IMHO 17’s provide the best of both worlds. Better performance from having more rubber, but also strong offroad looks from tire poke.

If you’re never going to offroad then I’d think some 19 or 20’s with performance tires on an OBX would give the closest Range Rover vibes.

Sponsored

Beachin 74

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F-150, 2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
17's have much more of a choice for tires. Anything above that you get pigeonholed into more heavy-duty tires for trucks.
And if you air down for a larger contact patch or flotation, smaller rim is the way to go.

tractorcrusher

Black Diamond
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
17’s look better Than 18’s. It all depends if you can get the wheel you want in a 17”. Some only make 18 and above.
It also seems like there are less larger tires available for 17" wheels nowadays. Definitely not impossible to find but when I was searching for 35s for my 17s the selection went down significantly.

Discount Tire

Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
IMO the 17" is the tried and true option. Several tire and wheel options to choose from. The 18" and higher sizes look good as well, but option can be limited. Starting gain more popularity though!

MJJ

Wildtrak
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon, Jeep Wagoneer, Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
IMO the 17" is the tried and true option. Several tire and wheel options to choose from. The 18" and higher sizes look good as well, but option can be limited. Starting gain more popularity though!
If you are looking at the lower end of the wheel market (cast & flow forged) they are plenty of 17’s. When you move up to a custom wheel manufacturer (forged, custom offsets) I have found that many wheels start at 18”. BC Forged is an example. They have a few options at 17 but most are 18 and up.

LanceIto

Raptor
First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I went with 17s and have 37 inch tires but the local dealership has several broncos on the lot with 18" rims and 35" tires and I think they look great
How do you like the 37s? Any regrets?

Sponsored

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
17's have much more of a choice for tires. Anything above that you get pigeonholed into more heavy-duty tires for trucks.
And if you air down for a larger contact patch or flotation, smaller rim is the way to go.
17” vs 18” will have virtually zero contribution to your contact patch when aired down. Biggest factor is 80% tire diameter, 20% tire width. If OP is running 35x12.5” wheel size is irrelevant.

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looking for the 15/16 option...

Reactions: Fly

Beachin 74

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F-150, 2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
17” vs 18” will have virtually zero contribution to your contact patch when aired down. Biggest factor is 80% tire diameter, 20% tire width. If OP is running 35x12.5” wheel size is irrelevant.
I disagree. Keeping the tire OD the same, with a smaller rim OD you have more room on the side wall so when airing down the contact patch grows a little wider but also "longer".
For every increase in rim size on the same tire diameter the contact is being less when airing down.

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I disagree. Keeping the tire OD the same, with a smaller rim OD you have more room on the side wall so when airing down the contact patch grows a little wider but also "longer".
For every increase in rim size on the same tire diameter the contact is being less when airing down.
I understand your premise, I’m just not sure how much of a difference it makes in practice. I’m taking my OBX surf fishing again tomorrow and will look at the side wall @18psi. From what I remember you could hardly tell it was aired down by the naked eye.

I do think if you’re comparing 17’s to 20’s and beyond the difference could add up.

kpark_67

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It all depends on if your Bronco is a street or trail vehicle. If street, it doesn't matter how big. On the trail an aired down tire is part of your suspension and greatly affects traction so the smaller the tire the better. If I could fit 15" wheels with 35" (or larger) tires around the brakes, I would.
Sponsored