Sponsored

Poll for failed 10 speed transmissions on Bronco after flat towing.

Failure after neutral towing of bronco or bronco raptor with 10 speed transmission

• failed and both transmission and transfer case replaced no warranty had to pay for replacement

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ranbronc

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Early Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How can I see if the Jan 2023 update was applied?

I took SSM 51415 to the dealer yesterday and not sure what they did , no technician notes on invoice, service manager had speech problem , no idea what he was saying..
Sponsored

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So this is only an auto issue?

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4dr, 2008 Mustang GT CS (Wife's), MH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
How can I see if the Jan 2023 update was applied?

I took SSM 51415 to the dealer yesterday and not sure what they did , no technician notes on invoice, service manager had speech problem , no idea what he was saying..
When you go into tow mode you will get serval new warnings, also when you come out of tow mode you will get some new warnings.

Ranbronc

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Early Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When you go into tow mode you will get serval new warnings, also when you come out of tow mode you will get some new warnings.
thanks...confirmed it has been updated......inside the Bronco is the wife's job

G6Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G6 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
EDIT SOLD RAPTOR WENT BACK TO 392 JEEP< Hope Ford gets this right for rest of the folks I am done.

After joining the failed transmission club on 9-11 after flat towing and reading the threads thought I do a poll, my Braptor has 10,000 miles and failed after one day of flat towing, i had flat towed jeeps for years so not a novice at the process. I had charge line from coach to Braptor as well Demco airforce one airbrake kit from my diesel pusher.. I had also flat towed over 3,000 miles on this trip alone with zero issues.

After disconnecting the tow, dash showed neutral tow engaged, it shifted out and said put in park. Then when I started it loud grinding sound from tranny and unable to pull forward as shift indicator showed 7th gear and unable to downshift even manually. Reverse did work and transfer case shifted into all modes normal including back into neutral tow The tranny was stuck in 7th gear and multiple codes with wrench. Multiple codes for speed sensors shorted or inop along with powertrain or 4 wheel drive fault.

My dealer who has been outstanding from 2250 miles away logged in reading all codes and after I verified it was in neutral tow mode currently, said it was ok to tow it back to Fl from Colorado. They pulled pan on the transmission found severe metal and burned fluid, they pulled it and another strange thing was water was trapped between transmission and transfer case in the housing almost half full, Best guess is the air-conditioning which drains on top of the tranny entered the space and no where to drain out as it really appears to be watertight but no sealant. No i rock crawl not ford rivers or play in the mud, you can see water stain on shop floor by the transfer case.

Inspecting the transfer case fluid it was also burned so Ford authorized both to be replaced with new. But now hard to have lot of faith that it will not happen again. so feel free to take poll and post if you in the club lol. Should pick it up next week as I also had multiple failures of the back up sensors front and rear.

thinking about lemon law, hate to but.............................................
ac drain.JPEG
big metal.jpeg
metal tranny.jpg
transfer case water stain on floor and case.JPEG
water stain tranny.JPEG
we sold wrangler to buy ford bronco, big mistake. Bronco's continue to fail flat tow by seasoned drivers. Great ideas, BAD engineering and awful customer satisfaction. My trans fix cost me $6,287.00 plus 3k for a car hauler. ford SUX!

Sponsored

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

We ordered a 2024 Black Diamond non-SAS 2.3 automatic for my wife’s daily and to be flat towed behind our diesel pusher, even after reading about all the problems. Does anyone know which transfer case is having the issue of going back into gear? Or are both? Ours will have the cheaper version WITHOUT the automatic 4wd option.
In the mean time we flat tow a 2022 Gladiator. Previously towed a 4wd Excursion but had to disconnect the rear driveshaft. I wish Ford had the option of a manual t-case.

2ndgenirish

Badlands
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am interested in your observation about water and the possibility of water intrusion. You speculated that the water came from A/C condensate.

This is the strongest lead I have seen for this problem.

I also flat tow my 2023 Badlands and I also and VERY worried about it.

Thanks for your work here.

SuperDave150

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150, Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

@Ford Motor Company
i got the “System off to save battery“ message today on my 2023 OBX with Advanced 4WD. (It had been parked for about 5 days)
I noticed that the transfer case mode had switched itself from 4A (which I always leave it in during snowy weather) into 2H.

While this isn’t a big deal as a daily driver, it would be catastrophic if I were flat towing - for the transfer case to shift itself back to 2H in the event of low voltage, etc.!!! That would certainly explain some “mysterious“ contested transfer case and/or transmission failures when flat towing (recreational towing).

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4dr, 2008 Mustang GT CS (Wife's), MH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You know I got that message “System off to save battery“ the other day, was only parked for less than a couple of hours. Had never seen it before. I was in 4H so did not notice anything out of the ordinary.
Sponsored