Sponsored

Poll for failed 10 speed transmissions on Bronco after flat towing.

Failure after neutral towing of bronco or bronco raptor with 10 speed transmission

• failed and both transmission and transfer case replaced no warranty had to pay for replacement

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Huntingbigun

Raptor
First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F350 4x4, 98 Ls Tj on tons
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
EDIT SOLD RAPTOR WENT BACK TO 392 JEEP< Hope Ford gets this right for rest of the folks I am done.

After joining the failed transmission club on 9-11 after flat towing and reading the threads thought I do a poll, my Braptor has 10,000 miles and failed after one day of flat towing, i had flat towed jeeps for years so not a novice at the process. I had charge line from coach to Braptor as well Demco airforce one airbrake kit from my diesel pusher.. I had also flat towed over 3,000 miles on this trip alone with zero issues.

After disconnecting the tow, dash showed neutral tow engaged, it shifted out and said put in park. Then when I started it loud grinding sound from tranny and unable to pull forward as shift indicator showed 7th gear and unable to downshift even manually. Reverse did work and transfer case shifted into all modes normal including back into neutral tow The tranny was stuck in 7th gear and multiple codes with wrench. Multiple codes for speed sensors shorted or inop along with powertrain or 4 wheel drive fault.

My dealer who has been outstanding from 2250 miles away logged in reading all codes and after I verified it was in neutral tow mode currently, said it was ok to tow it back to Fl from Colorado. They pulled pan on the transmission found severe metal and burned fluid, they pulled it and another strange thing was water was trapped between transmission and transfer case in the housing almost half full, Best guess is the air-conditioning which drains on top of the tranny entered the space and no where to drain out as it really appears to be watertight but no sealant. No i rock crawl not ford rivers or play in the mud, you can see water stain on shop floor by the transfer case.

Inspecting the transfer case fluid it was also burned so Ford authorized both to be replaced with new. But now hard to have lot of faith that it will not happen again. so feel free to take poll and post if you in the club lol. Should pick it up next week as I also had multiple failures of the back up sensors front and rear.

thinking about lemon law, hate to but.............................................
Ford Bronco Poll for failed 10 speed transmissions on Bronco after flat towing. ac drain.JPEG
Ford Bronco Poll for failed 10 speed transmissions on Bronco after flat towing. big metal
Ford Bronco Poll for failed 10 speed transmissions on Bronco after flat towing. metal tranny
Ford Bronco Poll for failed 10 speed transmissions on Bronco after flat towing. transfer case water stain on floor and case.JPEG
Ford Bronco Poll for failed 10 speed transmissions on Bronco after flat towing. water stain tranny.JPEG
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bsenecal

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger crew cab, '17 Fusion sport, '68 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
After joining the failed transmission club on 9-11 after flat towing and reading the threads thought I do a poll, my Braptor has 10,000 miles and failed after one day of flat towing, i had flat towed jeeps for years so not a novice at the process. I had charge line from coach to Braptor as well Demco airforce one airbrake kit from my diesel pusher.. I had also flat towed over 3,000 miles on this trip alone with zero issues.

After disconnecting the tow, dash showed neutral tow engaged, it shifted out and said put in park. Then when I started it loud grinding sound from tranny and unable to pull forward as shift indicator showed 7th gear and unable to downshift even manually. Reverse did work and transfer case shifted into all modes normal including back into neutral tow The tranny was stuck in 7th gear and multiple codes with wrench. Multiple codes for speed sensors shorted or inop along with powertrain or 4 wheel drive fault.

My dealer who has been outstanding from 2250 miles away logged in reading all codes and after I verified it was in neutral tow mode currently, said it was ok to tow it back to Fl from Colorado. They pulled pan on the transmission found severe metal and burned fluid, they pulled it and another strange thing was water was trapped between transmission and transfer case in the housing almost half full, Best guess is the air-conditioning which drains on top of the tranny entered the space and no where to drain out as it really appears to be watertight but no sealant. No i rock crawl not ford rivers or play in the mud, you can see water stain on shop floor by the transfer case.

Inspecting the transfer case fluid it was also burned so Ford authorized both to be replaced with new. But now hard to have lot of faith that it will not happen again. so feel free to take poll and post if you in the club lol. Should pick it up next week as I also had multiple failures of the back up sensors front and rear.

thinking about lemon law, hate to but.............................................
Ford Bronco Poll for failed 10 speed transmissions on Bronco after flat towing. water stain tranny.JPEG
Luckily your dealer is standing by you.
What I find strange is there are numerous people flat towing their Rangers and as we have both one of those and a Bronco I am on the Ranger forum, there has been little to no issues that I have read about and it has the same running gear as the 2.3 Bronco.
Good luck with yours.
Brian

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I figured I'd just wait till the last day or miles on my extended warrantees, and then do some flat towing...video my perfect connections and exactly following Fords instructions.... that way the bronco will get a fresh tranny and t-case. Then throw the video up on social media. that will get @Ford Motor Company attention I bet.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Sorry for your experience. Sounds like yolu did everything right, even a charge line, and still had issues. How about adding a tow without issues option and a drivetrain spec.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Huntingbigun

Huntingbigun

Raptor
First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Sorry for your experience. Sounds like yolu did everything right, even a charge line, and still had issues. How about adding a tow without issues option and a drivetrain spec.
Done vote away

OP
OP
Huntingbigun

Huntingbigun

Raptor
First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Great idea for a poll and place to share info. I'll let some folks know if a couple of the flat tow failed threads.

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
@Huntingbigun shouldn't the 4th poll option say "no warranty" rather than "warranty"?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Huntingbigun

Huntingbigun

Raptor
First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
OP
OP
Huntingbigun

Huntingbigun

Raptor
First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I am filling a lemon law claim for the transmission as well reporting this to NTSB phone number 888-327-4236 everyone that has a failure should at least call report defect thanks

mitruckguy

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 1941 Dodge WC, 1993 Mazda Miata
Your Bronco Model
Base
Luckily your dealer is standing by you.
What I find strange is there are numerous people flat towing their Rangers and as we have both one of those and a Bronco I am on the Ranger forum, there has been little to no issues that I have read about and it has the same running gear as the 2.3 Bronco.
Good luck with yours.
Brian
The Bronco and Ranger have different transmissions and I think different transfer cases too.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What's it take to tow it on a trailer? With all the issues that have been reported, maybe just getting a trailer is cheaper/less hassle. I don't know if that really works (maybe cheaper to steal?), but at least seems like a lower-risk option. Note, have never done either...

aknavy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Mine self destruction, covered by warranty, and I'm back to flat towing a Wrangler.
Sponsored