Sponsored

Poll V8 vs Diesel Option

**Warning** Hypothetical! If Ford only offered one of these options, which would you prefer to see

• Total voters

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Before I say anything else, this is a totally hypothetical question that has no bearing on reality! I have no insider knowledge and also don't care to be lectured on "false hope". This is purely a "just out of my own curiosity where does everyone stand", type of question. Partly inspired by the lackluster response to the Bronco Raptor.

I love V8's and I love diesels. My favorites are diesel v8's but that is too insane even for this hypothetical question. I imagine that the vast majority of forum members, and probably the market in general would prefer a V8 option to a diesel option. If I had to choose myself, I would choose a diesel. I am curious to see if I am part of the 1% or more like part of the 10% or heck maybe even half of you would prefer the diesel!

I grew up around diesels (trucks and tractors) and have always been a fan off their efficiency and power delivery. Though they are practically always less powerful than a gasser of similar size, they almost always deliver that power in a manner that makes them deceptively more competitive and useful (via the low end immediate torque). I also love V8's and the high transient power they offer as well as the amazing sound, though diesels have their own form of angelic clatter imo. My dream Bronco would be a 3 liter inline 6 diesel backed by a manual.

Curious what other people think about our fantasy powertrains?
Sponsored

jehines3

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX350L, Chevrolet Silverado, Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Electric. 4 hub motors, portal axle style, 350-mile range. 400HP total, 750lb-ft would do just fine.

Mike E

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands SAS 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve owned a diesel trucks and now a Jeep Wrangler with a 3.0 diesel. This vehicle with a 3.0 is a dream come true scenario if you like torque and fuel mileage.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Before I say anything else, this is a totally hypothetical question that has no bearing on reality! I have no insider knowledge and also don't care to be lectured on "false hope". This is purely a "just out of my own curiosity where does everyone stand", type of question. Partly inspired by the lackluster response to the Bronco Raptor.

I love V8's and I love diesels. My favorites are diesel v8's but that is too insane even for this hypothetical question. I imagine that the vast majority of forum members, and probably the market in general would prefer a V8 option to a diesel option. If I had to choose myself, I would choose a diesel. I am curious to see if I am part of the 1% or more like part of the 10% or heck maybe even half of you would prefer the diesel!

I grew up around diesels (trucks and tractors) and have always been a fan off their efficiency and power delivery. Though they are practically always less powerful than a gasser of similar size, they almost always deliver that power in a manner that makes them deceptively more competitive and useful (via the low end immediate torque). I also love V8's and the high transient power they offer as well as the amazing sound, though diesels have their own form of angelic clatter imo. My dream Bronco would be a 3 liter inline 6 diesel backed by a manual.

Curious what other people think about our fantasy powertrains?
Not to hijack but one of my customers was in his birth country of Costa Rica a couple weeks ago and said he drove a diesel Ranger at a local Ford dealer. Said it was quiet, tons of power and all around awesome vehicle.

OP
OP
TeocaliMG

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Electric. 4 hub motors, portal axle style, 350-mile range. 400HP total, 750lb-ft would do just fine.
I would take this assuming the 4 motors are inboard of the chassis, and not actually in the wheel hub as unsprung weight. I would also entertain the idea of trading half or more of the battery pack for a 0.5 or 1 liter diesel range extender

Sponsored

Chrome_Pony

Badlands
First Name
Chrome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2.3L Badlands High, 2017 LWN Duramax Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As much as a I truly loved the bored out 302 sound on my '75, now I would absolutely love a small turbodiesel powered Bronco to match my LWN Duramax Colorado. 30MPG in a near-fullsize 4x4 pickup is no joke.

OP
OP
TeocaliMG

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not to hijack but one of my customers was in his birth country of Costa Rica a couple weeks ago and said he drove a diesel Ranger at a local Ford dealer. Said it was quiet, tons of power and all around awesome vehicle.
wonder if it was the 2.0 I-4 panther or the 3.2 I-5 (puma I think)

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Gas mileage/range is the biggest weakness of the Bronco IMO. I'm getting 14.5MPG in city at best right now with the 2.7.. about the same on the trails. With only a 21 gallon fuel tank, I'm getting just about 300 miles range. Not great for an off-road vehicle.

Because of that, give me an eco-diesel with great fuel mileage and tons of torque units.

marjen

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Sponsored

jay-rod427

Badlands
First Name
Jerod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Carbonized gray 2 dr BadLands Sans-Squatch ordered
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'd take a small diesel if anyone at all could get one right. No manufacturer has made a reliable powerful and efficient small diesel in decades. Thanks a lot government bullshit.

OP
OP
TeocaliMG

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd take a small diesel if anyone at all could get one right. No manufacturer has made a reliable powerful and efficient small diesel in decades. Thanks a lot government bullshit.
I'm not super familiar with GM's 3.0 I-6. Is that showing a lot of issues? I thought it was a pretty brilliant design. As for Ford I always thought the 3.0 Lion was a bit long in the teeth to bring stateside and try and meet emissions or power expectations. The 2.0 panther seems to have been an excellent platform though from what I have seen, its in the Ranger Raptor to boot!

The only thing I would challenge from what you said though is power. I don't doubt that modern diesels have more issues, but diesels of the 80's and 90's, especially small ones, were not known for power in the least. My 6.9 idi V8 has 170 hp for example lol but I still love it.

jay-rod427

Badlands
First Name
Jerod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Carbonized gray 2 dr BadLands Sans-Squatch ordered
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm not super familiar with GM's 3.0 I-6. Is that showing a lot of issues? I thought it was a pretty brilliant design. As for Ford I always thought the 3.0 Lion was a bit long in the teeth to bring stateside and try and meet emissions or power expectations. The 2.0 panther seems to have been an excellent platform though from what I have seen, its in the Ranger Raptor to boot!

The only thing I would challenge from what you said though is power. I don't doubt that modern diesels have more issues, but diesels of the 80's and 90's, especially small ones, were not known for power in the least. My 6.9 idi V8 has 170 hp for example lol but I still love it.
Nothing back then was exactly a powerhouse. LOL But relative to the gassers back then they were just fine.