Sponsored

Portable electric impact driver - Who carries one ?

AttackGuy64

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seems like the general consensus is a portable battery powered impact wrench. No one runs a plug in model ?
Nope. Never even seen one on the trail. Some nutcases carry air impact tools if they have a tank big enough. Never seen that on a Bronco before, just big trucks. The train horn crowd if you know what I mean.
Sponsored

TEAMSLO

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Bronco 2.7 4d Oxford White & 22' JLURD
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I carry a Ryobi 1/2", started with Ryobi for a few items and just gradually increased. Have around 7 spare batteries from kit purchases. Have been swapping on over to Milwaukee for a few things but it's pretty costly. Waiting for the Ryobi to fail but its been performing solid.

I bring the impact for wheel changes which powers my mechanical screw jack among other things.

There was one time specifically that I was extremely tired, was a long day up and down long mountains spotting a group. Hadn't hydrated properly and I was cramping even to turn lugs with my fingers once loosened. Wished I had the impact that day for sure.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Footer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I bring the impact for wheel changes

This is pretty much what I am looking to carry one for. Seems like a no brainer over a lug wrench.

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I carry a Ryobi 1/2", started with Ryobi for a few items and just gradually increased. Have around 7 spare batteries from kit purchases. Have been swapping on over to Milwaukee for a few things but it's pretty costly. Waiting for the Ryobi to fail but its been performing solid.

I bring the impact for wheel changes and also my mechanical screw jack among other things.
We use Ryobi right alongside Milwaukee at work and they have performed basically the same. I have a boat load of Ryobi stuff for my personal use and still use a drill, impact and Sawzall back from when they were Nicad and blue in color. When was that ,1994 or somewhere close ? I was sold on Ryobi when they chose to keep the same battery format and not make you buy a whole different setup every time they decided to improve or change models. I built my house using nothing but Ryobi power tools :)

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I guess I'll take the other side. I don't carry one and probably never will. Storage space is limited in a Bronco and I try to keep weight down. I don't carry redundant tools, I can do anything an electric impact will do with the hand tools I'll carry anyway, albeit slower. Jumper battery, recovery gear, jack, tire chains all have no duplicate in my kit.

Full disclosure, I didn't even have one at home until a couple years ago and it sure is sweet. Dewalt 20v.

Sponsored

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just wondering if anyone has this as part of their onboard tool kit ? If so, any recommendations ?
I have two sets of wheels and tires--my "street" shoes (in the profile pic) and the KO2s that came with the Bronco. I run the white wheels for the Heritage look and keep a less-expensive set of Wrangler ATs on them to save wear-and-tear on the KO2s for actual off-roading.

Once I committed to two sets of tires, I figured a good impact driver would make life much easier switching them out frequently (and it has!). And since I have it (DeWalt 20v), I figured, why not take it when we go off-roading? If I do get a flat, wouldn't I be much happier using the impact driver rather than the tire iron that comes with the jack?

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You should go with whatever battery system you already have or that’s available at your local hardware store. Dewalt, makita, Milwaukee are all about the same in price and performance.

I think all of the brands I listed has a 12v charger available for purchase.
Those three brands you mentioned are nearly equal in quality and reliability, but they are all quite a bit better than several other brands. I would just add that unless someone has already mistakenly heavily invested in a different brand than those, maybe it's time to start the transition. :)

OP
OP

Footer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And since I have it (DeWalt 20v), I figured, why not take it when we go off-roading? If I do get a flat, wouldn't I be much happier using the impact driver rather than the tire iron that comes with the jack?

My thoughts exactly !

Shrek27

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sponsored

mattymik

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Odyssey, 2023 WildTrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I was born a Milwaukee, WI, man, and I’ll remain a Milwaukee, 18V, man til the day I die. (Or until they make a 24V version because obviously)

OP
OP

Footer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was born a Milwaukee, WI, man, and I’ll remain a Milwaukee, 18V, man til the day I die. (Or until they make a 24V version because obviously)
Milwaukee definitely has the best selection of products by far. I started with Makita 18V so i've continued to grow that ecosystem, but intentionally went with Milwaukee for 12V to open up other options. Their 12V products REALLY put out. I'm kind of blown away. If i was starting over I'd be all Milwaukee.

Poppavein

Black Diamond
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I bought the Milwaukee M18 inflator due to the recommendations in this forum.
I figured I might was well get an M18 impact since I now have the battery. (Also got an M12 ratchet.)
I’m shocked at the prices for these, especially since I already had the equivalent air tools.
But I was also surprised that the lug nuts are 100 ft lbs, all my past vehicles have been 75.
Haven’t decided yet if I have room to carry the impact.

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is the torque stick I was recommended by someone on here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KDD3YKW/

It flexes when you hit 100lbs, kind of an odd sensation the first time. I do still go and check each lug with a torque wrench and sure enough, its like dead on every time. Supposedly they do need to replaced after so many uses, but unless your rotating your wheels once a week, I doubt I'll ever wear it out.
Sponsored