First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Are you in 4H or 4L? I have a 2.3 7MT, climbing steep river banks in 4L it feels just like you're describing, heavy kinda tractor-ish. I assumed it was the low gearing. 4H doesn't have the same feeling. I have a BD so the 4.46 gears.
I’m on flat sand (check profile picture) and either in 4wd hi or lo produces the same results.

OP
OP
JaredWilm28401

JaredWilm28401

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
@Jarodw

@JaredWilm28401 I apologize. I misunderstood what you were trying to say - that you start out strong but then things happen and it bogs down. So maybe it stores a code that the shop can read. Outside of that I wonder if something is getting heat soak and going into self-protect mode.
That’s ok haha. I’m not the best at explaining, so it’s not your fault.
But that very well could be the issue.
The only critique on your response is that I work for ford and I’ve had it at the service dept and they can’t figure it out. So it’s not throwing a limp code that we can figure out.
These trucks are still so new, I feel like the collective knowledge of this forum can better at diag than the individual dealers experience in dealing with them.
I really appreciate your comments!

Sponsored
OP
OP
JaredWilm28401

JaredWilm28401

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
OP
OP
JaredWilm28401

JaredWilm28401

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
No worries, have some fun ready all that! IDK if that’s your problem or not, but it almost makes sense if the trans heats up. And you might be one of the few that run in sand?
Possibly the only base 2.3/7spd. Love being the guinea pig haha
I for sure have the grinding noise from day one though

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m not sinking in. After about 10 minutes of successfully driving and stoping and driving again and stopping, for some reason out of nowhere, It feels like I’m dragging an anchor through the sand.
I’m in the same depth, dryness and angle and for no reason, it feels like my parking brake locks up.
I’m absolutely spitting sand out behind me in 4wd before this starts.
Sounds overheating related? Maybe ABS brakes or transfer case. They may be getting a hard workout in sand without mechanical locker or LSD. I doubt turning off the traction stuff fully disables the ABS-based limited-slip differential. Does it start working again after a cooldown?

Long shot, but you could also try updating the ABS module software. There were bugs in the 21-22 2.7L ABS.

OP
OP
JaredWilm28401

JaredWilm28401

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Sounds overheating related? Maybe ABS brakes or transfer case. They may be getting a hard workout in sand without mechanical locker or LSD. I doubt turning off the traction stuff fully disables the ABS-based limited-slip differential. Does it start working again after a cooldown?

Long shot, but you could also try updating the ABS module software. There were bugs in the 21-22 2.7L ABS.
I have a 23 but that could still be an issue. It very well could be something due to over hearing. I kept a close eye on my transmission temp and it was slightly hotter than normal but nothing alarming. However- that makes the most sense now that you say that. And yes, after waiting, it goes back to normal.

Ogre

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BD 2dr 7MT CG, '18 Indian Chieftain
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have a 23 but that could still be an issue. It very well could be something due to over hearing. I kept a close eye on my transmission temp and it was slightly hotter than normal but nothing alarming. However- that makes the most sense now that you say that. And yes, after waiting, it goes back to normal.
Definitely keep us updated. This could be good information to have.

Sponsored
OP
OP
JaredWilm28401

JaredWilm28401

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Definitely keep us updated. This could be good information to have.
I absolutely will. Thanks for the insight! Sustained 4wd may be extremely light sustained 4wd
I’m taking it to some light trails this weekend so I’ll post an update after I get back.

SuperDave150

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150, Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I absolutely will. Thanks for the insight! Sustained 4wd may be extremely light sustained 4wd
I’m taking it to some light trails this weekend so I’ll post an update after I get back.
Here’s another thought - be a good Guinea pig and upgrade the intercooler to a bigger one, in case you‘re getting heat soak there.

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Here’s another thought - be a good Guinea pig and upgrade the intercooler to a bigger one, in case you‘re getting heat soak there.
My thoughts went the same direction. High intake temps can change the map the engine uses, lowering power output to protect itself. The situation may still be considered "normal," and as a result won't throw a code, even though it's taking protective action.
Sponsored