TexSooner17

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 1500 Denali
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
New to the forum as I just placed an order for a non-sas OBX. Since it is Thanksgiving week and orders get submitted on Thursdays, I have a bit of time to make any tweaks. Currently, here is how have it optioned:

-Modular Bumper
-Tonneau Cover
-Onyx Leather Interior EDIT: NAVY PIER/ROAST LEATHER
-Aux Switches
-Floor liners
-Safe Deposit (I'm in Texas so I'll be topless a lot)
-High Package
-Tow Hitch
-2.7L engine

I've spent hours pouring through the forum on different upgrades, but the thing I cannot quite pin down is rear locking differential and the final drive ratio.

As I mentioned above, I did not go with the sasquatch package because I just don't really think I can pull off 35s and will mostly be using this on pavement. So, I didn't want spend the extra $$ and immediately switch out the tires. My plan is to lift the OBX an inch (maybe even just a 1 inch leveling kit) and put the Grabber A/TX 275/70R18 with the SL Load Rating tires on.

Generally, my most extreme "off-roading" is dirt roads out in the country or a bad parking lot outside of a college football game (nothing extreme). Is it worth upgrading to the rear locking differential and the 4.27 drive ratio given that I'll be running 33s and an inch lift? I won't lift it any higher or ever go to 35s.

Also - if you have any other recommendations on the size of lift (if any) to throw the Grabber 33s on it or any other advice, I'd appreciate it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

geoking

Outer Banks
First Name
george
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 , 2020 F150, 1934, 1948, 1958 , 1966
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
New to the forum as I just placed an order for a non-sas OBX. Since it is Thanksgiving week and orders get submitted on Thursdays, I have a bit of time to make any tweaks. Currently, here is how have it optioned:

-Modular Bumper
-Tonneau Cover
-Onyx Leather Interior
-Aux Switches
-Floor liners
-High Package
-Tow Hitch
-2.7L engine

I've spent hours pouring through the forum on different upgrades, but the thing I cannot quite pin down is rear locking differential and the final drive ratio.

As I mentioned above, I did not go with the sasquatch package because I just don't really think I can pull off 35s and will mostly be using this on pavement. So, I didn't want spend the extra $$ and immediately switch out the tires. My plan is to lift the OBX an inch (maybe even just a 1 inch leveling kit) and put the Grabber A/TX 275/70R18 with the SL Load Rating tires on.

Generally, my most extreme "off-roading" is dirt roads out in the country or a bad parking lot outside of a college football game (nothing extreme). Is it worth upgrading to the rear locking differential and the 4.27 drive ratio given that I'll be running 33s and an inch lift? I won't lift it any higher or ever go to 35s.

Also - if you have any other recommendations on the size of lift (if any) to throw the Grabber 33s on it or any other advice, I'd appreciate it.

I would seriously consider adding tube doors if they can configure and price for you?

ChapEJF

Outer Banks
First Name
Everett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco OBX/BD Mashup
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Good setup, I have a similar OBX but with the 2.3L. I have similar use case plans but I would recommend the Locking Rear Differential and upgraded gears. The cost is negligible and the confidence that it brings in sand (I'm in Florida) or other bad terrain is huge.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Take our word for it, there will be no rush to solidify your order. BTW, just pony up and add the SAS.

OP
OP
TexSooner17

TexSooner17

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 1500 Denali
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks all! I think I'm going to upgrade the gearing. Probably won't go tube doors as I doubt I'll take the doors off. I have heard about the build issues, a best friend of mine from HS is a sales guy at our local ford dealer so he has been upfront on expectations.

Sponsored

HorizonHunter

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd say you can never go wrong with having the rear locker, just in case. Front lockers are less vital. Are you adding the modular bumper and aux switches for resale value?

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR Base Sasquatch 2.3 in VB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Go with the Advanced transfer case and that should also get the rear locker and 4.27 gearing.

OP
OP
TexSooner17

TexSooner17

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 1500 Denali
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Go with the Advanced transfer case and that should also get the rear locker and 4.27 gearing.
Dumb question, that is the automatic four wheel drive function right? I think you're right and good idea.

Adding the modular bumper because I like the look / having the front tow hooks and the aux switches because I'll probably add lights to the front and optionality.

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR Base Sasquatch 2.3 in VB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Dumb question, that is the automatic four wheel drive function right? I think you're right and good idea.

Adding the modular bumper because I like the look / having the front tow hooks and the aux switches because I'll probably add lights to the front and optionality.
Yep...that is the one with the auto four wheel drive setting. Aux switches are a good call, I have them, not sure when/if I'll use them. Didn't do the modular bumper, I figured something better will pop up on the aftermarket and I'm currently liking the stuff from Addictive Desert Designs.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Everyone has glanced over your build, but how did you get Onyx leather? There are 2 interior options on the OBX - Navy Pier and Roast. They come in either cloth or leather. There is no Onyx.

As others said, get the 4A advanced transfer case which will give you the rear locker and gearing.

Sponsored

Blitzjb

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

-Modular Bumper
-Tonneau Cover
-Onyx Leather Interior
-Aux Switches
-Floor liners
-High Package
-Tow Hitch
-2.7L engine

I have the 2.3 with no special differentials etc.... Drives great on the Beach! Consider the cloth in hot climate, I have the Navy Pier Cloth. I love it, it is denim like...(my 1st cloth seats in over 20 yrs). The "leather" you paid for is "leather trimmed vinyl"
Ford Bronco Question for OBX Owners bronco beach

Last edited:
OP
OP
TexSooner17

TexSooner17

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 1500 Denali
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Everyone has glanced over your build, but how did you get Onyx leather? There are 2 interior options on the OBX - Navy Pier and Roast. They come in either cloth or leather. There is no Onyx.

As others said, get the 4A advanced transfer case which will give you the rear locker and gearing.
Ah I misspoke, I meant Navy Pier/Roast. Not sure where I got onyx from.

j_anderson

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ah I misspoke, I meant Navy Pier/Roast. Not sure where I got onyx from.
The Onyx stuff you see on the build sheet is the dark plastic parts of the interior like the base of the console and rear cargo area, etc..

I have Navy Pier cloth and love it! The photos and renders of the interior just don't do it justice.

jehines3

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX350L, Chevrolet Silverado, Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks all! I think I'm going to upgrade the gearing. Probably won't go tube doors as I doubt I'll take the doors off. I have heard about the build issues, a best friend of mine from HS is a sales guy at our local ford dealer so he has been upfront on expectations.
Just curious, now you got me wondering. If you don't plan to take the doors off, Your offroading is not very extreme, what about the OBX is drawing you into the Bronco/