Sponsored

Question for the experts - differences between Badlands and Badland w/ Sasquatch?

Maximus3311

Badlands
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021...Nope. 2022...still no. 2023? Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey everyone - like a lot of you I've been watching (and honestly stewing a bit) the drama unfold over the last few days.

I have a fully loaded Badlands on order and depending on what we're told considering my options. I live in Colorado so a soft top (for me) is a no-go. I'm sticking with the MIC and keeping my fingers crossed.

Fine dropping from LUX to High.

The SAS package I'm sort of torn on. My thinking (and this is where I need all your help) is as follows: Drop the Sasquatch package and just upgrade the wheels for $995 (I like the looks of those better than the stock badlands wheels). Seems like people seem to like the 33" tires that come stock with the Badlands so I'll stick with those until they wear out.

When it comes time to buy new tires (and assuming I want to go to 35" tires) I'll pay a shop to add a 2" lift and remove the crash bars (although the crash bar removal is something I'm guessing I can do myself). Then just buy 35" tires and have them mounted. From what I've been able to gather, as long as I don't want to go bigger than 35" tires the gearing that comes with the Badlands should be more than sufficient.

And for whatever it's worth - living in Colorado I will be hitting trails. But nothing extreme. Much more on the moderate to mod/hard trails where I'm going over some Boulders but not pushing the vehicle to anywhere near it's limits (plan is moderate-ish trails and then dispersed camping).

Most of you have probably forgotten more than I'll ever learn about this so I'd definitely appreciate any advice/guidance. And feel free to tell me if my plans are either dumb or unrealistic or...etc?
Sponsored

Alex Sector

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm in the same situation. But I want to add LUX...

Non-SAS BL w/ SAS wheels and tires w/o a lift looks slightly off to me.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Realistically the only thing of importance you're giving up is gearing (assuming auto since you said fully loaded). 4.46 instead of 4.70. Everything else is trivial and can be easily upgraded.

BroncoPls!

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Rivian R1S, 22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A "Std" Badlands is more than capable to handle most trails/obstacles. You just need to be more careful about your line. It is also very easy to "Squacth" a Badlands. Faced with what is happening right now and what I have learned from owning my Bronco, I would order the std and aftermarket upgrade later if you want. A set of Bilstein 6100 shocks and SAS coils and your better than a factory SAS.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Realistically the only thing of importance you're giving up is gearing (assuming auto since you said fully loaded). 4.46 instead of 4.70. Everything else is trivial and can be easily upgraded.
its not even a remote issue with the 10spd either. This isn't the days of 5 gear transmissions except maybe the MT stuff.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Maximus3311

Maximus3311

Badlands
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021...Nope. 2022...still no. 2023? Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A "Std" Badlands is more than capable to handle most trails/obstacles. You just need to be more careful about your line. It is also very easy to "Squacth" a Badlands. Faced with what is happening right now and what I have learned from owning my Bronco, I would order the std and aftermarket upgrade later if you want. A set of Bilstein 6100 shocks and SAS coils and your better than a factory SAS.
That's great to know - and I think that's going to be my plan. Since I'll need to replace the tires anyway when I do this I figure I save the @$4100 on SAS (minus $995 for upgraded wheels). So if the parts labor come out to anywhere close to $3100 (not counting the 35" tires) then I guess I'm ahead...

nwGTS

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 GTS, BMW M3, VW Golf
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey everyone - like a lot of you I've been watching (and honestly stewing a bit) the drama unfold over the last few days.

I have a fully loaded Badlands on order and depending on what we're told considering my options. I live in Colorado so a soft top (for me) is a no-go. I'm sticking with the MIC and keeping my fingers crossed.

The SAS package I'm sort of torn on. My thinking (and this is where I need all your help) is as follows: Drop the Sasquatch package and just upgrade the wheels for $995 (I like the looks of those better than the stock badlands wheels). Seems like people seem to like the 33" tires that come stock with the Badlands so I'll stick with those until they wear out.

When it comes time to buy new tires (and assuming I want to go to 35" tires) I'll pay a shop to add a 2" lift and remove the crash bars (although the crash bar removal is something I'm guessing I can do myself). Then just buy 35" tires and have them mounted. From what I've been able to gather, as long as I don't want to go bigger than 35" tires the gearing that comes with the Badlands should be more than sufficient.

And for whatever it's worth - living in Colorado I will be hitting trails. But nothing extreme. Much more on the moderate to mod/hard trails where I'm going over some Boulders but not pushing the vehicle to anywhere near it's limits (plan is moderate-ish trails and then dispersed camping).

Most of you have probably forgotten more than I'll ever learn about this so I'd definitely appreciate any advice/guidance. And feel free to tell me if my plans are either dumb or unrealistic or...etc?

Though I'm not in the unfortunate position of needing to choose because Ford is telling me to, I did choose the Standard Badlands over the SAS for the exact same reason.

I didn't need the 4.7 instead of the 4.46 and I wanted the Badlands optional wheel.
I'll run these 33"s until they give out, then go 2" lift with 35s with modded crashbars. It's a good plan as long as they build your bronco with a MIC still in play.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I believe regardless of what options you drop, as long as you stick with the MIC, you will hung out to dry until MY24. I would keep the MIC myself as it is important to me. By the time your Bronco can be built, the other options may be once again available. I did not go with the Sasquatch option. I have no regrets. Good luck.

stonerdoom

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How relevant is the gearing with 35s during day to day road driving?

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Badlands
  • Gearing
    • Automatic - 4.46 gear ratio
    • Manual - 4.70 gear ratio
  • Suspension
    • HOSS 2.0
  • Wheels/tires
    • 17x8.0 +55 wheels
    • 285/70r17 BFG KO2 All-Terrain
  • Body
    • Standard width fender flares
Badlands with Sasquatch
  • Gearing
    • Automatic - 4.70 gear ratio
    • Manual - 4.70 gear ratio (unchanged from std)
  • Suspension
    • HOSS 2.0 with minor lift (less than 1/2")
    • Rear stabilizer bar
  • Wheels/tires
    • 17x8.5 +30 wheels
    • 315/70r17 Goodyear Territory MT
  • Body
    • Wide width fender flares
---

As @Tricky Dick mentioned... the only thing that is difficult to upgrade is the gearing. But it should be noted the vast majority of people will be perfectly fine on the 4.46 axle ratio—these things come equipped with 10-speed automatic transmissions so you will not be hurting for gears. Unless you are a serious off-roader, the 4.46 gearing will only become an issue you intend on installing tires larger than 37".

Also worth noting that Ford Performance already has a 4.70 axle upgrade kit, and has plans for a 4.88, 5.13, and 5.38 upgrade kits. So gearing can be changed later—but it'll be a little pricey.

Sponsored

Fonz54

Badlands
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Commander, Porsche Cayenne, Mercedes C250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry coming late to the party. Is Ford working on MIC 3.0? Or are they just going to discontinue the MIC and go with another hard top model?

Fonz54

Badlands
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Badlands
  • Gearing
    • Automatic - 4.46 gear ratio
    • Manual - 4.70 gear ratio
  • Suspension
    • HOSS 2.0
  • Wheels/tires
    • 17x8.0 +55 wheels
    • 285/70r17 BFG KO2 All-Terrain
  • Body
    • Standard width fender flares
Badlands with Sasquatch
  • Gearing
    • Automatic - 4.70 gear ratio
    • Manual - 4.70 gear ratio (unchanged from std)
  • Suspension
    • HOSS 2.0 with minor lift (less than 1/2")
    • Rear stabilizer bar
  • Wheels/tires
    • 17x8.5 +30 wheels
    • 315/70r17 Goodyear Territory MT
  • Body
    • Wide width fender flares
---

As @Tricky Dick mentioned... the only thing that is difficult to upgrade is the gearing. But it should be noted the vast majority of people will be perfectly fine on the 4.46 axle ratio—these things come equipped with 10-speed automatic transmissions so you will not be hurting for gears. Unless you are a serious off-roader, the 4.46 gearing will only become an issue you intend on installing tires larger than 37".

Also worth noting that Ford Performance already has a 4.70 axle upgrade kit, and has plans for a 4.88, 5.13, and 5.38 upgrade kits. So gearing can be changed later—but it'll be a little pricey.
When did the Badlands get the HOSS 3.0 package? Man I must have been abducted by aliens! :alien:

Grift3r

Base
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Squatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I also live in CO and a soft top is fine.... :D

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry coming late to the party. Is Ford working on MIC 3.0? Or are they just going to discontinue the MIC and go with another hard top model?
We don't know, but there is no real reason to believe Ford is discontinuing the MIC hard top.

They aren't stopping production on hard tops, they just know they cannot make enough of them to fulfill the current outstanding orders. So they are incentivizing folks to drop them from their order.

Fonz54

Badlands
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We don't know, but there is no real reason to believe Ford is discontinuing the MIC hard top.

They aren't stopping production on hard tops, they just know they cannot make enough of them to fulfill the current outstanding orders. So they are incentivizing folks to drop them from their order.
Ah I see. Thanks
Sponsored