First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
MY WT is scheduled to be built in the next week or so.

I bought a Heritage grille (if anyone wants to buy a brand new WT grille DM me) and want to paint it silver with a shine.

I have a garage that can paint the grille. They said they just need the color code I want.

Questions I have for anyone who knows something about....painting grilles!......

+The grille I have is from Ford parts/never used. Does it need to be sanded/scuffed or otherwise prepped in some way before painting it?

+Is there a silver color code anyone would suggest? I want to avoid a dull silver or or a gray. Looking for a silver and has some shine to it but not super duper shiny if that makes sense. Would I take something like Ford Argent silver and then add a topcoat to give it that subtle shine? Or is there a silver color for car grilles that has some shine in it?

Thanks! Can't wait to post pics when this madness that is my creative process is over and it all comes together.
Sponsored

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I bought a Heritage grille (if anyone wants to buy a brand new WT grille DM me) and want to paint it silver with a shine.

I have a garage that can paint the grille. They said they just need the color code I want.

Questions I have for anyone who knows something about....painting grilles!......

+The grille I have is from Ford parts/never used. Does it need to be sanded/scuffed or otherwise prepped in some way before painting it?

+Is there a silver color code anyone would suggest? I want to avoid a dull silver or or a gray. Looking for a silver and has some shine to it but not super duper shiny if that makes sense. Would I take something like Ford Argent silver and then add a topcoat to give it that subtle shine? Or is there a silver color for car grilles that has some shine in it?

Thanks! Can't wait to post pics when this madness that is my creative process is over and it all comes together.
Yes.
If they are a paint shop, they will know how to properly prep it.
Wipe with wax/grease remover.
Scuff with a scotchbrite or 600 grit by hand, followed by scotchbrite. Every square inch of it.
Wipe again with W&G remover.
Wipe with tack cloth.
Spray adhesion promoter per can instructions.

Silver codes are up to the customer (you).
A quick way to pick a color is to look at silvers you like, google the paint code for what it is (example is to google 2015 Chevy truck silver or 2021 Ford Bronco Silver),once you find what the color is actually called, google paint codes for that color.

I like two main shades of grey/silver for accents or bases for candy/flake work.
Those are Galaxy Grey and Orion Silver.
Both are House Of Kolor and two totally separate ends of the grey/silver metallic spectrum.

The beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so pick a silver like you want and roll with it.
All manufacturers pretty much have a great silver in the lineup.
I am partial to Porsche colors as being a bit more vibrant than most.

rguest3

Badlands
First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-350, F-450, 2022 Bronco, (2) 77 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Ford Argent would be the correct Silver color if you are going for the Early Bronco look. Top with Clear Coat for shine. Body color around the edges of the Grill.

The current 6G Bronco has the Iconic Silver which also would look great on the center of the Heritage Grill.

I went with a Black Center for a Special Decor Grill.

Ford Bronco Questions about painting grille silver dsc_8062

Ford Bronco Questions about painting grille silver dsc_8061

OP
OP
rodmf

rodmf

Wildtrak
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
That looks really really cool. Nice work! And thanks for the info. All of this helps.

I have seen others talk about painting the outer edges of the grille the body color to create a frame.

Why do you think that looks better than the default, which is does not have the outer edge painted? Just curious because I've seen many swear by that as the superior direction.

ericwayne

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
DM'd you regarding the WT take-off grill.

THX

Sponsored

rguest3

Badlands
First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That looks really really cool. Nice work! And thanks for the info. All of this helps.

I have seen others talk about painting the outer edges of the grille the body color to create a frame.

Why do you think that looks better than the default, which is does not have the outer edge painted? Just curious because I've seen many swear by that as the superior direction.
The Early Bronco G1 had the Body Color around the center of the Grill.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Here's silver on Heritage grille and then a painted surround on a grille like your WT. Your call, painted surround mimics the EB a little better.

Ford Bronco Questions about painting grille silver pxl_2022071561-jpg (1)
Ford Bronco Questions about painting grille silver 2021 Ford Bronco Pope Francis Center-First Edition_01

Last edited:

CGCarolinaBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Base (Hubby) 2021 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My 2021 Big Bend Grill is a great grey color. I actually bought my wheels to match the grill. Stock Ford Color I am sure.

IMG_7630.jpeg

IMG_6697.jpeg

KRAKEN

Black Diamond
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2 DOOR BRONCO, 2014 F150 XLT, 2006 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
What wheels are those?... looks great!

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s an opinion thing, really. But I personally like the body-colored surround look.
I did mine and it is one of the top 5 favorite changes/additions I’ve done.
To me it helps disguise the bulk of the plastic grille, invokes more of the 1st gen look, and just plain looks better.
Ford Bronco Questions about painting grille silver 1B9F88BF-F30C-4D3F-8D89-1C1FE0329C92

Sponsored

rguest3

Badlands
First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It’s an opinion thing, really. But I personally like the body-colored surround look.
To me it helps disguise the bulk of the plastic grille, invokes more of the 1st gen look, and just plain looks better.
Ford Bronco Questions about painting grille silver 1B9F88BF-F30C-4D3F-8D89-1C1FE0329C92

Your Bronco looks great!

I agree. The painted surround makes it look more finished.

OP
OP
rodmf

rodmf

Wildtrak
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Wow, these Broncos look amazing. Thanks for sharing.

You guys have inspired me to go to body color the frame of the grille.

The garage is asking for paint codes.

Anyone know where I can find the paint codes for....

Argent Sliver?
I don't know that I need a code for a clear coat? I'm guessing they can probably handle that.
Cactus Gray?

rguest3

Badlands
First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wow, these Broncos look amazing. Thanks for sharing.

You guys have inspired me to go to body color the frame of the grille.

The garage is asking for paint codes.

Anyone know where I can find the paint codes for....

Argent Sliver?
I don't know that I need a code for a clear coat? I'm guessing they can probably handle that.
Cactus Gray?

The Body Color code is inside your drivers side door frame. Cactus Gray is NE, another ford Color Code is M7457.

The Early Bronco Argent Silver Color code:

Ford MX7031021

Ditzler 8568

OP
OP
rodmf

rodmf

Wildtrak
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This is great. Thank you!

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Wow that painted grill surround does look nice. I have the plain all black base grill and feel it needs a bit of spicing up.

Is the dark gray grill color stock? That would be a good match for my Ranger charcoal color wheels and other parts. Maybe I should consider swapping to a gray/charcoal color grill, if the grills are all compatible between trim packages?
Sponsored