Sponsored

Ford posts official Bronco mule off-road testing video

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Last edited:

dmtndan

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Silverado, 2014 Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Another vid of beating a RR on rutted sand hills. Pretty impressive, but certainly more of a momentum rig.

Only issue I have with this video is many of the rangers seen here are not actually the ā€œraptorā€ variant that just came out. There is a couple in the video, but most of these are modified rangers or ranger wildtrax. You can tell by the facia, the bed hooks, the headlights (trim levels) and the narrower body panels in comparison to the new model. Otherwise this video is still kinda fun, but not the best for comparison if itā€™s strictly to just look at the Ranger Raptor.

5863F701-B4C8-4520-9B21-69C30EFD0CA8.jpeg

7B99B774-DECE-4D5A-8C2C-A390128A7D5A.jpeg

Skeets

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 2015 Ram 3500
Another vid of beating a RR on rutted sand hills. Pretty impressive, but certainly more of a momentum rig.

Thanks again Ox what we saw going up the gorge is more tan most of them will ever see in their lives. The fact it can do that shows what they're shooting for. As to the mud where i live there wasn't that much mud in the bottom of lake mead when it was really low,,,,,,,because our climate dries it out fast...... I can sure see where it's something you'd be mindful of! That video shows us a bit more and while not rock hopping over 5 ft boulders is nice to see because it reminds us of how capable it's probably going to be.........:^) Besides taking a 50K++ Bronco rock crawling isn't something folks of normal means really aspire to do to protect our investment. Being more practical has it's advantages in that many of us own smaller toys that do it quite nicely and cost less to break and repair... . and with an ecoboost we know the Bronco will most likely be built to tow them there giving us another advantage over a jeep. This new Bronco may just fit a bigger niche than we thought.

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Wondering how new Bronc is getting better than RR travel without being even wider?
Thought I had vid of RR on tight trail, but it was F150 Raptor. I couldn't find any vid of
a RR on a tight trail really.

Interesting vid of just sand hills @ low speeds showing travel. RR does not have available lockers?
The Ranger Raptor does have a locker in the rear as standard - you can hear at 4:55ish they specifically didn't turn the locker on to see what the traction control would do. I'm sure it would have had an easier time of it if they had engaged it.

Unlike the F150 Raptor the RR didn't have an available Torsen for the front, that's something I'm hoping to see in the Bronco.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Wondering how new Bronc is getting better than RR travel without being even wider?
Thought I had vid of RR on tight trail, but it was F150 Raptor. I couldn't find any vid of
a RR on a tight trail really.

Interesting vid of just sand hills @ low speeds showing travel. RR does not have available lockers?

good video to show why the Bronco needs SFA ā€¦ not enough wheel travel in IFS. If you want wheel travel in IFS it would have to look like the KOH pic earlier, long arms narrow chassis, and we know that ain't happening . First video was the chassis and rear suspension. If you put long arms on that chassis your with end up at full size truck width and I don't think that is what Ford was shooting for.

I thought the whole Bronco "thing" was a more specialty suv, something to compete with the Wrangler.

Soccer moms buy the Wrangler not because its capable off-road but because its cool looking and it can't ride to bad, because it has SFA , because they are still buying them. So Ford has to make the Bronco "cool" for the masses but still give the hard-core guys something to work with and compete with. We all know the first time the Jeep makes a climb the Bronco can't you will never hear the end of it! Right know the closest thing is the Explorer, not exactly an off roader. but I have had mine on the beach and in some "situations" in the woods, and it will get through ok but with no approach or departure angles you can't get to carried away or you will leave half the body in the woods. If someone wants a Bronco that handles well on the highway, has some clearance for off road, and can fit the quick trip to the store in the back, Ford has the baby bronco, they don't need to put IFS on the Bronco to make it ride good they need it to compete and make the Bronco easily modified and capable from the start(i.e. Troller). If a person wants a full-size Bronco with IFS then buy a new F-150, put a cap on the back, and take to the upholsterer and have him finish the inside, its easy to make a pass through to get from front to rear. My hope is that Ford is heading the way I'm thinking and will not disappoint with the final product just a question of how many they will sell and if no SFA I'm afraid it will leave some sales on the table, loose more from no SFA than if it didn't have IFS, they have others models with IFS but nothing with SFA, other than the SD.

Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
good video to show why the Bronco needs SFA ā€¦ not enough wheel travel in IFS. If you want wheel travel in IFS it would have to look like the KOH pic earlier, long arms narrow chassis, and we know that ain't happening . First video was the chassis and rear suspension. If you put long arms on that chassis your with end up at full size truck width and I don't think that is what Ford was shooting for.

I thought the whole Bronco "thing" was a more specialty suv, something to compete with the Wrangler.

Soccer moms buy the Wrangler not because its capable off-road but because its cool looking and it can't ride to bad, because it has SFA , because they are still buying them. So Ford has to make the Bronco "cool" for the masses but still give the hard-core guys something to work with and compete with. We all know the first time the Jeep makes a climb the Bronco can't you will never hear the end of it! Right know the closest thing is the Explorer, not exactly an off roader. but I have had mine on the beach and in some "situations" in the woods, and it will get through ok but with no approach or departure angles you can't get to carried away or you will leave half the body in the woods. If someone wants a Bronco that handles well on the highway, has some clearance for off road, and can fit the quick trip to the store in the back, Ford has the baby bronco, they don't need to put IFS on the Bronco to make it ride good they need it to compete and make the Bronco easily modified and capable from the start(i.e. Troller). If a person wants a full-size Bronco with IFS then buy a new F-150, put a cap on the back, and take to the upholsterer and have him finish the inside, its easy to make a pass through to get from front to rear. My hope is that Ford is heading the way I'm thinking and will not disappoint with the final product just a question of how many they will sell and if no SFA I'm afraid it will leave some sales on the table, loose more from no SFA than if it didn't have IFS, they have others models with IFS but nothing with SFA, other than the SD.
I truly hope there is both an IFS and solid front axle option for the Bronco, I think the option of both would be for the best. However, I think Ford may be going more for a "jack of all trades, master of none" with the Bronco. It will be good on the rocks, good on the sand, good going fast, good on the highway. But it won't necessarily "rule the roost" in any one category. It may be not quite as good of a desert runner as a raptor; but it will be close. It may not be quite as good in the rocks as a wrangler; but it'll be close. Etc. I think that Ford would be smart to do this, as long as they figure out how to easily fit bigger tires. Articulation is important which is the main thing that a SFA gets you, along with durability. But I don't think it's going to be a dealbreaker for a lot of people, and they could easily draw sales away from Wrangler with a better all-around vehicle. If Ford just copied the wrangler there wouldn't be enough to differentiate them, and nobody would want Bronco over the iconic wrangler.

I will say this as well: I was doing some light off-roading in my jeep this past weekend, not honestly that different from what the Bronco was doing in the video. And I was going maybe 1/4 the speed that it was to avoid my teeth getting rattled out. A vehicle that could conquer moderate boulders significantly faster than a Wrangler can would definitely have a market as well.

Also another interesting thing: That Bronco video has a 94% like/ 6% dislike ratio. That alone is pretty telling for what people realistically want out of a Bronco. My dad who has switched over to explorers after his Bronco II and hasn't been super happy with his current one sent me the "take my money" meme when I sent this video to him.

Last edited:

Skeets

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 2015 Ram 3500
I truly hope there is both an IFS and solid front axle option for the Bronco, I think the option of both would be for the best. However, I think Ford may be going more for a "jack of all trades, master of none" with the Bronco. It will be good on the rocks, good on the sand, good going fast, good on the highway. But it won't necessarily "rule the roost" in any one category. It may be not quite as good of a desert runner as a raptor; but it will be close. It may not be quite as good in the rocks as a wrangler; but it'll be close. Etc. I think that Ford would be smart to do this, as long as they figure out how to easily fit bigger tires. Articulation is important which is the main thing that a SFA gets you, along with durability. But I don't think it's going to be a dealbreaker for a lot of people, and they could easily draw sales away from Wrangler with a better all-around vehicle. If Ford just copied the wrangler there wouldn't be enough to differentiate them, and nobody would want Bronco over the iconic wrangler.

I will say this as well: I was doing some light off-roading in my jeep this past weekend, not honestly that different from what the Bronco was doing in the video. And I was going maybe 1/4 the speed that it was to avoid my teeth getting rattled out. A vehicle that could conquer moderate boulders significantly faster than a Wrangler can would definitely have a market as well.

I think you've got it nailed nick. The ride and the power will play a major roll.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Also another interesting thing: That Bronco video has a 94% like/ 6% dislike ratio. That alone is pretty telling for what people realistically want out of a Bronco. My dad who has switched over to explorers after his Bronco II and hasn't been super happy with his current one sent me the "take my money" meme when I sent this video to him.

I was trying to keep my hopes up for the SFA but thanks buddy for shooting down my theory. :( LOL

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
...Also another interesting thing: That Bronco video has a 94% like/ 6% dislike ratio. That alone is pretty telling for what people realistically want out of a Bronco. ...
There are less than 1k responses, and people are desperate for any kind of info. It doesn't mean anything. I could just as easily claim that the public overwhelmingly loves the look of the "Bronco" in that video, even though its obviously an ugly POS.

You've said before that you would be unwilling to go hard off road in an expensive vehicle, so the speed that some race driver is going in some hunk of junk someone else paid them for means nothing again, I bet he could drive your Wrangler a lot faster than you too.

eta: I bet if Ford made the comments public we'd see a very different story.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Only issue I have with this video is many of the rangers seen here are not actually the ā€œraptorā€ variant that just came out.

Ford Bronco Ford posts official Bronco mule off-road testing video 7B99B774-DECE-4D5A-8C2C-A390128A7D5A

Good catch, first vid is just a modded normal ranger. Although that guy was wheeling harder
than any other stockish IFS rig I have wheeled with.

Sponsored

BroncoRevital

Badlands
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, past; 94 FB, 86 FB, 84 Bronco2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I truly hope there is both an IFS and solid front axle option for the Bronco, I think the option of both would be for the best.
I do too and Iā€™m still holding out hope that they do. That sliver of hope with that whole ā€œRock Monsterā€ thing.

Not that I want it for extreme rock crawling but I think the Bronco with its dimensions would be better suited with a solid front.

If Ford just copied the wrangler there wouldn't be enough to differentiate them, and nobody would want Bronco over the iconic wrangler.
I donā€™t think that would be the case. I think people are looking for a more civil slightly roomier Jeep. The Bronco would fit that perfectly. Thereā€™s no product for that and I think is whatā€™s missing. A more civil capable vehicle is what people want.

Can Ford do if with IFS? Maybe and it would make for a good all around I suppose but with its short wheel base as a two door itā€™s much better suited for a SFA. Plus we already have enough vehicles in that category.

Judging by this teaser that front end is not up to my standards. They will already have an off-road truck for going fast and driving through sand. In fact, two of them now. The Bronco should be build for trails. Not speed.

Last edited:

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Maybe and it (IFS) would make for a good all around I suppose but with its short wheel base as a two door itā€™s much better suited for a SFA
Can you elaborate on this some more??

Skeets

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 2015 Ram 3500
You guys are giving up.........Come on I know I rained a little on your parade but that's why I stressed the platform to you. If they give you that and it's adaptable, a lift and some AArms and some good shocks and guess what you just picked up what you thought you lost, I could be wrong but don't think I am because selling them is the number one priority. The numbers of guys that won't buy it because it doesn't have a solid SFA is probably pretty small. Proof in point how many of you would buy a Raptor if cheaper? How many of you wanted the ranger raptor? I wanted the ranger raptor myself because it would do 99% of what i would want it to. That ZR2 is a pretty capable rig and it rides damn nice because of those hybrid shocks. You really think Ford isn't capable of improving on that when they already have 2 Raptors in the can. Rock crawling is a real expensive hobby if you're a purist. You aren't going to be taking just about any factory rig to do it without modifications anyway. Most guys aren't going to shred the sides of their Bronco's and tear it to hell with a aluminum body. I know I'm raining on you again but reality's a bitch. If you can afford to take a $50K vehicle out and shred it , it's immaterial in the equation and you most likely already have an old jeep or a side by side for the purpose. That's what you're going to tear up unless your wallet is bigger than your mind. They've got a plan for us and given they've built the raptors don't get all weepy about a SFA. If most of us had a Raptor or it's equal I'd bet you wouldn't hear a peep out of us. Great off road capability, great power, great ride, and one damn sexy truck your buddies would love to have..........now who's pulling my leg? I think we're all going to be delighted with what they bring to market. I think it's going to be a hell of a rig that built for the long haul and able to be driven on vacation with your family in comfort. A vehicle that you can take out on a weekend and be happy about where you went and what you saw and get home in comfort. Lest not we forget guys modify Raptors every single day for more wheel travel because of the platform they sit on so if they build it with a SFA consider it a bonus because a Raptor goes most places most of us will ever venture, and that's not disappointment you see on the faces of the guys that own them,,,,,,,is it?

Last edited:

BroncoRevital

Badlands
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can you elaborate on this some more??
For me the Bronco is and should be more trail oriented. An off road vehicle you can maneuver well and get through spaces trucks canā€™t. The short wheel base make this possible and with that short wheel base the vehicle is less stable for high speed off-roading. Let the Ranger Raptor handle that aspect. With a short wheel base and some what narrow vehicle a solid front axle would be better suited. Long A arms start to make it too wide.

It wonā€™t be a deal breaker if itā€™s IFS I just think with small dimensions itā€™s better suited for a SFA. An ideal situation they would create and very callable IFS but weā€™ll see I guess.

BroncoRevital

Badlands
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@Skeets you're missing the point. I love your enthusiasm but I think I speak for most when I say Iā€™m not buying a Bronco for Raptor qualities. An IFS is perfect for a Raptor. It suits its purpose and yes, can go all kinds of great places and you can have a blast with it. However, the Bronco is a different beast and IFS isnā€™t something that gets me excited for it. I donā€™t need a Bronco to haul ass in the desert with. I need a Bronco that can take on trials, rocks and can maneuver well in tight spaces. Iā€™m not looking for an extreme rock crawler but Iā€™m not looking for a short wheel base Raptor either.
Sponsored