Sponsored

Raptor First Oil Change - - Be Aware (or BEWARE!)

Toffs

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I took my Raptor to my local Ford Dealership for its first oil change this past weekend. I only have 3,000 miles on the Braptor, but I am in the crowd that — right or wrong — believes an early oil change can’t hurt and may be beneficial. After waiting an hour for their quick lane service, I got my vehicle back and drove off. As we were driving I had my wife look at the receipt and tell me how many quarts were added. The receipt stated that 6 quarts of 5W20 were added. I immediately pulled over to look at the receipt (as though my wife was incapable of reading) and verify through the owner‘s manual that the 3.0 liter takes 7.5 quarts. Not only does the 3.0 take 7.5 quarts, it takes 7.5 quarts of 5W30. I then manually checked the oil level and it did show a low oil level. I immediately turned around and went back to the Ford Dealership. The Ford advisor took my receipt and stated that she needed to speak with the technician that performed the service. The tech came out and removed the dipstick showing me that the oil level was “reaching” the hash marks. I asked how many quarts did you put in? His response: 6. I then asked why would you put in 6 quarts if the manual calls for 7.5 quarts? His UNBELIEVABLE response was that new engines do not require 7.5 quarts. HUH? At that very moment, the service manager walked up and asked the tech how many quarts he put in; he responded 6. The service manager then told him that was wrong and 7.5 should have been put in. I then asked what weight he put in — he stated 5W30. I asked why my receipt said 5W20 and he said it was an error. The service manager then asked him how he knew it was an error. The tech went into an explanation as to how oil is retrieved and the service manager accepted the explanation, confident that the correct weight was used. They then took my vehicle and topped it off with the missing 1.5 quarts.

I decided to post this merely to remind people to trust but verify. Don’t fall into the trap that you are at an authorized Ford Dealership thus the service will be correct (as I did — driving off without looking at the receipt). More importantly, if something doesn’t sound right (“new engines do not require 7.5 quarts”) elevate your concern and have them support what they are stating. Luckily, I had a service manager that intervened immediately.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Toffs

Toffs

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
do your own oil changes. You caught the error because you had a receipt. What else did they screw up that was not on the receipt.

:confused:
Well, I debated stating in my initial post that I always do my own oil changes but life circumstances have placed me in a position where I presently cannot. Irrespective, there are plenty of people out there that cannot/will not do their own oil changes and believe that the trusty Ford dealership can do no wrong on something so simple — that is my point. Did they do anything else wrong — I hope not — but I did check (including all bolts on bash plate).

Obiwan

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't care to share personal info
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
For those doing their own oil changes on their Raptors is the drain plug one time use? If so what is the proper relacement plug? I was under the impression it was not the same plug as the 2.7L but would love some clarification so that I can have some on hand.

I, like you, OP, feel the first oil change should be early. However I believe in much earlier.

First 20 minutes, then at 500 miles, 1000, and 3000 initially. After that would depend on use and heat. As an engine builder who would break motors in on the dyno and then drain and inspect filter cores after the first 20 minutes of higher idle / low to medium load there is a considerate amount of particulate matter initially that is best to get out early. Everyone will have their own opinion. I was building 1000+ HP motors and that was my formula. Worked fantastic for long term bearing and journal health.

Sponsored

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Lots of ignorant dealer tech posts on here today serving as a good reminder why I do all my own service work even though it is a "hassle" to recycle used oil, those 37's are dang heavy, I don't have the time, and sometimes it is cold/hot outside, etc.

V1Rotate

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The Ford quick lane’s are a joke, I’ll never take anything to one again. Took my Wildtrak in for an alignment after I installed a lift and when I picked it up the alignment report showed the camber still out of spec. When asked they swore that the camber wasn’t adjustable on the Broncos so they couldn’t do it. Ouch

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

For those doing their own oil changes on their Raptors is the drain plug one time use? If so what is the proper relacement plug? I was under the impression it was not the same plug as the 2.7L but would love some clarification so that I can have some on hand.
It’s the same one as the 2.7, and it is reusable.

Obiwan

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I'm doing my own also get one of these you will thank me later.

Ford Bronco Raptor First Oil Change - - Be Aware (or BEWARE!) PXL_20230211_001454109
I am aware of these, Is the consensus still that they don't allow a full drain unless the bronco is leaning to that side? Based on there being additional height to contend with as a result of the plug itself in the pan? Never inspected the Raptor pan to know if this is accurate or not. Open to more info.

Sponsored

Obiwan

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Basing that on reviews like this one, logic seemed sound:

Ford Bronco Raptor First Oil Change - - Be Aware (or BEWARE!) Screenshot 2023-02-10 at 18-27-06 Amazon.com RONIN FACTORY - Easy Oil Drain for 2015 Ford F150

Ford Bronco Raptor First Oil Change - - Be Aware (or BEWARE!) Screenshot 2023-02-10 at 18-27-27 Amazon.com RONIN FACTORY - Easy Oil Drain for 2015 Ford F150

Last edited:

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I took my Raptor to my local Ford Dealership for its first oil change this past weekend. I only have 3,000 miles on the Braptor, but I am in the crowd that — right or wrong — believes an early oil change can’t hurt and may be beneficial. After waiting an hour for their quick lane service, I got my vehicle back and drove off. As we were driving I had my wife look at the receipt and tell me how many quarts were added. The receipt stated that 6 quarts of 5W20 were added. I immediately pulled over to look at the receipt (as though my wife was incapable of reading) and verify through the owner‘s manual that the 3.0 liter takes 7.5 quarts. Not only does the 3.0 take 7.5 quarts, it takes 7.5 quarts of 5W30. I then manually checked the oil level and it did show a low oil level. I immediately turned around and went back to the Ford Dealership. The Ford advisor took my receipt and stated that she needed to speak with the technician that performed the service. The tech came out and removed the dipstick showing me that the oil level was “reaching” the hash marks. I asked how many quarts did you put in? His response: 6. I then asked why would you put in 6 quarts if the manual calls for 7.5 quarts? His UNBELIEVABLE response was that new engines do not require 7.5 quarts. HUH? At that very moment, the service manager walked up and asked the tech how many quarts he put in; he responded 6. The service manager then told him that was wrong and 7.5 should have been put in. I then asked what weight he put in — he stated 5W30. I asked why my receipt said 5W20 and he said it was an error. The service manager then asked him how he knew it was an error. The tech went into an explanation as to how oil is retrieved and the service manager accepted the explanation, confident that the correct weight was used. They then took my vehicle and topped it off with the missing 1.5 quarts.

I decided to post this merely to remind people to trust but verify. Don’t fall into the trap that you are at an authorized Ford Dealership thus the service will be correct (as I did — driving off without looking at the receipt). More importantly, if something doesn’t sound right (“new engines do not require 7.5 quarts”) elevate your concern and have them support what they are stating. Luckily, I had a service manager that intervened immediately.
After two recent bad experiences where Kia and Subaru dealerships overfilled motor oil, I started changing my own oil again. You'd think of all places the dealership would get it right, but unfortunately that's not the case. As you say trust but verify.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I am aware of these, Is the consensus still that they don't allow a full drain unless the bronco is leaning to that side? Based on there being additional height to contend with as a result of the plug itself in the pan? Never inspected the Raptor pan to know if this is accurate or not. Open to more info.
you still remove the plug once the initial drain is done or at least you should.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I am pretty sure all ford plastic oil pans use the same plug.

I use the same plug over and over again on my wife’s f150 without issue.
Yep, they’re all the same
Sponsored