Sponsored

Raptor Owners - Do you think the Raptor is too wide?

Amcole1984

Big Bend
First Name
Amber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I was next to one in my big bend the other day in traffic, it made me feel like I was back in my Mazda. The raptor is massive lol
Same. One passed me the other day and my BB is lifted on 35s and I felt so small.
Sponsored

1st 75th ranger

Black Diamond
First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco bd 4 dr sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Raptor Owners!
I just got my 2023 Raptor and on a spirited trail ride I hit a rock concealed behind some bushes which sliced the sidewall on the BFG. Definitely driver error as I'm still getting used to the wiiiidth on this thing. 3.5" on each side doesn't seem too much, until it is. (Side note - factory jack gets the job done.)

Has anyone with a Raptor encountered a trail (wood/shelf road/rocks/etc) where they have discovered the Raptor is just too wide to continue the trail?

Overall the Raptor is amazing. I'm just worried about adventuring limitations due to the width.

Thanks!
Sean

IMG_6821.JPG

IMG_6847.jpg
yeah to wide unless open desert or beaches

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I added another 3" and dont have issues, the majority of built Jeeps/Bouncers on 37/40+s are just as wide for park trails.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

The Raptor will bounce a fender.
I did that the 2nd time I was out and gouged my driver front. The easiest solution is put some 1.5 spacers on it and the K02s will protect them or go with a new wheel 17x9 0 offset will do the same thing.

OP
OP
DBC Offroad

DBC Offroad

Raptor
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'23 Raptor & '21 4Runner TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I did that the 2nd time I was out and gouged my driver front. The easiest solution is put some 1.5 spacers on it and the K02s will protect them or go with a new wheel 17x9 0 offset will do the same thing.
Good to know! I figured a different wheel would help. Thanks!

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Totally agree with you. I was thinking the same thing. The difference: Widened Jeeps typically have slimmer fenders and will bounce a tire off the obstacle. The Raptor will bounce a fender.

I'd actually consider the ADV 4.5" Raptor Fenders for that reason.
Dang - I forgot to add removable BRaptor Flares to the Ford survey I did the other day.

OP
OP
DBC Offroad

DBC Offroad

Raptor
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Dang - I forgot to add removable BRaptor Flares to the Ford survey I did the other day.
I thought you were being sarcastic. Then I took at look at the fenders. They don't look removable like the Badlands with quick pops. Sad day.

JohnGalt

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Defender 110
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Has anyone with a Raptor encountered a trail (wood/shelf road/rocks/etc) where they have discovered the Raptor is just too wide to continue the trail?

Overall the Raptor is amazing. I'm just worried about adventuring limitations due to the width.
I do a lot of Wheeling in the central Sierras, with 100 miles from Reno. I haven’t found anyplace I couldn’t pass……yet. I definitely go through the trees slower than my friends 2D Bronco, I’ve had to make a few multi-point turns (been using TTA more lately) and have needed a few spots (between a washout and the shelf dropoff on Barney Riley this spring after dropping my front tire off, comes to mind).

I’ve also pinstriped my flares (ppf on paint only) a bit and now will use some wide painters tape to cover them if I’m going on a notoriously pinstripe prone trail. Plus I’ve gone to +6 rims to give a little poke to protect the flares and allow for a future tire upgrade.

But I share your concern on every new (to me) trail I try. Width is a strong consideration, but not a debilitating one. And that wide track inspires a lot of confidence when drifting around corners at speed on the track at Prairie City.

Everything has its trade-off

OP
OP
DBC Offroad

DBC Offroad

Raptor
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I do a lot of Wheeling in the central Sierras, with 100 miles from Reno. I haven’t found anyplace I couldn’t pass……yet. I definitely go through the trees slower than my friends 2D Bronco, I’ve had to make a few multi-point turns (been using TTA more lately) and have needed a few spots (between a washout and the shelf dropoff on Barney Riley this spring after dropping my front tire off, comes to mind).

I’ve also pinstriped my flares (ppf on paint only) a bit and now will use some wide painters tape to cover them if I’m going on a notoriously pinstripe prone trail. Plus I’ve gone to +6 rims to give a little poke to protect the flares and allow for a future tire upgrade.

But I share your concern on every new (to me) trail I try. Width is a strong consideration, but not a debilitating one. And that wide track inspires a lot of confidence when drifting around corners at speed on the track at Prairie City.

Everything has its trade-off
Thank you for the reply! This was exactly the info I was trying to find. 🤘🏻

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Trade you straight up for my Wildtrak. lol. I didn't realize that the BRaptor was nearly as wide as the F150 Raptor. My F150 Raptor feels like an aircraft carrier off-road unless it is wide open desert.

Sponsored

JohnGalt

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Defender 110
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Trade you straight up for my Wildtrak. lol. I didn't realize that the BRaptor was nearly as wide as the F150 Raptor. My F150 Raptor feels like an aircraft carrier off-road unless it is wide open desert.
and then add 2 inches to each side with 0 offset wheels and 13.5 M/Ts.

i just saw someone on another thread that wants to put portals on his Braptor, that’s about 7 inches of additional width alone…. plus rims/tires above that’s almost an addition foot of track width. idk.

Roostracing

Raptor
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Ford Bronco, 1964 F100, 1997 F250 powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Braptor (86.9) is actually a little wider than the F150 Raptor (86.6). Not by much though.

raptorusmaximus

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Those wider axles provide a HUGE stability advantage, that goes for everything like cranking down a winding road and actually keeping up with a mustang to being able to not roll over as easily in a crash, sliding off the road on ice or a traversing a steep hillside.....standard bronco and jeep will roll way before a BR.

jhruzek

Raptor
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Raptor, Lexus LC500
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Sounds like my date asking if her parts are too big!!

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sounds like my date asking if her parts are too big!!
Yep size is relative, the proper question is... "is it fit for purpose".

I've got a specifc use for mine, has to fit inside of an enclosed trailer. When I was offered a chance at a golden ticket, I said yes but knew I'd have to modifiy my trailer to have rollover fenders. On one hand, glad ford found me not worthy of purchasing one, on the other hand, hauling a$$ through the desert sure if fun.
Sponsored