Rate my detailing plan…

WIDirtFishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Lariat 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Okay so I am a complete newb. I took a deep dive into the rabbit hole of exterior detailing and ceramic coating. I have come to the conclusion that opinions are like… you know what.

So here is the summary. Bought brand new 2023 Bronco last week. Oxford white. Plan to do woolwax underneath and ceramic on the paint. Her is my ceramic coat plan.

1. Wash with Chemical Guys Clean Slate
2. Perform light duty clay bar
3. Wipe down with a 50% isopropyl alcohol solution
4. Do ceramic coating. Probably the Chemical Guys one but I’m open to suggestions.

Chemical guys is just available locally and seems to have decent reputation so just figured i’d give it a shot.
any suggestions?
Sponsored

MileHighCitizen

Badlands
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2D 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Griot's also makes good, easy to use products. They're available everywhere as well. Ive found their products to be more straight forward and very forgiving compared to others ive used and pretty affordable as well.

I use their Ceramic wax once a year and Ceramic quick detailer in between waxes ~3-4 months. Makes it so i can just rinse it off at the spray wash places during winter and when i dont feel like washing.

i do:
Wash
Ceramic quick detail
Ceramic wax
Ceramic quick detail

Fly by Nite

Base
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 F-150 Nite, 2001 Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sponsored

WheresMyBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Definitely use an iron remover and make sure the soap is wax free. If the dealership applied any type of wax the car also may need a polish to remove it... Just something to keep in mind.

Cux211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ram 2500 Laramie blackout cummins
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Definitely going to want to do an iron decon, look into expel ceramic coat and gtechniq don’t bother with any of the “ceramic” waxes or wipe on sprays it’s bullshit once you have it coated you can use a quick ceramic spray enhancer

Flattie

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GMC 1500 SLT 3.0L Duramax
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
If it were me I'd consider the following - I've had very good results with the following. The full clay bar, polish and wax is a twice a year process - Spring and Fall. My cars live outside, if they were garaged I could probably get by with once a year.

1. Two bucket wash - Soap bucket with Meguiars Gold Wash. Sponge to soak up soapy water and splash on the car. Goal is to keep dirt from the car from getting embedded in the sponge and scratching the surface so the sponge doesn't touch the car - just delivers the soapy water to the car. Then microfiber mitt to wash car 1 panel at a time. Rinse mitt in other bucket with plain water. I remove the fender flares to wash them and get the dirt that accumulates behind them off the car.

2. If you live near a steel plant or rail lines then using Iron X or the equivalent next. Rinse this off with soapy water.

3. Clay bar. I use a fresh bucket of really soapy water for lubricant.

4. Dry car - I use a synthetic chamois but some people prefer a microfiber drying towel or even a leaf blower.

5. Use 303 spray protectant on all fender flares, hardtop, plastic/rubber trim. I spray it on the microfiber to minimize overspray on the paint.

6. Turtle wax hybrid polish and ceramic wax. This stuff is pretty amazing. You can apply it by hand or use something like Griots polisher. Do roughly a 2 x 2 section at a time. This will remove light scratches and leaves you with a very good sealant that should last 6 months. If you don't feel the need to do any polishing/paint correction just skip to the Turtle Wax Hybrid Spray Wax from step 7.

7. Optional - after step 5 wait 24 hours for it to cure. Wash car again and use the Turtle wax hybrid ceramic spray wax. This adds another 3 months of protection.

8. Every other wash use the Turtle wax ceramic car wash and wax - it recharges the sealant and restores some of the water shedding/beading properties.

Link to products in no particular order

Turtle Wax Hybrid Polish and Ceramic Wax

Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic Spray Wax

Griots Iron Remover

Turtle Wax Ceramic Wash and Wax

303 Spray

Review of Turtle Wax Hybrid Spray Wax

Tortuga

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I plan on Woolwaxing the bottom and following the same ceramic process that Sarah does here. I use these filters to wash my cars and fill my spa. My well water is pretty mineral heavy.

MK0412

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord and Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Run from chemical guys.

Don’t do a clay bar. They are very abrasive. Clay towels with proper lubricant are better and much safer.

I would highly recommend to check out DIY Detail’s YouTube channel. They are very experienced and have ton of videos for beginners.

I bought my bronco with no idea how to properly clean it. How different story now

Last edited:

Sponsored

Ft. Worth Rob

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X7, Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sounds like you’ve done good research. I’ve had good luck with Opticoat.com’s Opticoat Pro ceramic product. Unless I’ve been offroad and picked up lots of dust and mud, I use optimumcarcare.com’s no rinse wash and I’m religious about never taking the truck through a car wash to minimize paint swirls and managing my various chamois and microfiber cloths. I tend to buy supplies from this site that also sells the no rinse.
https://www.autogeek.net/optimum-no-rinse.html

OP
OP

WIDirtFishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Lariat 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Run from chemical guys.

Don’t do a clay bar. They are very abrasive. Clay towels with proper lubricant are better and much safer.

I would highly recommend to check out DIY Detail’s YouTube channel. They are very expensive and have ton of videos for beginners.

I bought my bronco with no idea how to properly clean it. How different story now
i appreciate that info.
should i do a full polish instead then? Maybe like:

2. Iron Remover wash
3. Polish w/orbital
4. Wipe down with a 50% isopropyl alcohol solution
5. Do ceramic coating. Probably the Chemical Guys one but I’m open to suggestions.

OP
OP

WIDirtFishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Lariat 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Sounds like you’ve done good research. I’ve had good luck with Opticoat.com’s Opticoat Pro ceramic product. Unless I’ve been offroad and picked up lots of dust and mud, I use optimumcarcare.com’s no rinse wash and I’m religious about never taking the truck through a car wash to minimize paint swirls and managing my various chamois and microfiber cloths. I tend to buy supplies from this site that also sells the no rinse.
https://www.autogeek.net/optimum-no-rinse.html
Thanks for the info i’ll check em out

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Energi, Ducati XDiavel
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Okay so I am a complete newb. I took a deep dive into the rabbit hole of exterior detailing and ceramic coating. I have come to the conclusion that opinions are like… you know what.

So here is the summary. Bought brand new 2023 Bronco last week. Oxford white. Plan to do woolwax underneath and ceramic on the paint. Her is my ceramic coat plan.

2. Perform light duty clay bar
3. Wipe down with a 50% isopropyl alcohol solution
4. Do ceramic coating. Probably the Chemical Guys one but I’m open to suggestions.

Chemical guys is just available locally and seems to have decent reputation so just figured i’d give it a shot.
any suggestions?
You forgot Iron decontamination for any potential rail dust.

Also - and I can't stress this enough - make doubly sure that you wipe all the ceramic off COMPLETELY or you will end up with high spots and once they cure - it will look like an errant armor all swipe on your paint. (Ask me how I know)

I used the Chemical Guys ceramic - it was rated pretty high.
Ford Bronco Rate my detailing plan… PXL_20230906_224022302
Ford Bronco Rate my detailing plan… PXL_20230906_224041339

MK0412

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord and Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

btw meant to type experienced not expensive.

Go check it there YouTube page. Ton of great videos.

If you’re a newb I highly recommend more research and that can come as just watching YouTube videos before jumping into polishing and coating.

car detailing isn’t hard but need to take proper steps

i appreciate that info.
should i do a full polish instead then? Maybe like:

2. Iron Remover wash
3. Polish w/orbital
4. Wipe down with a 50% isopropyl alcohol solution
5. Do ceramic coating. Probably the Chemical Guys one but I’m open to suggestions.
Sponsored