WojBomb

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Big Bend Area 51 2DR 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Earlier today I was sitting in traffic when I was unfortunately rear-ended by a sedan who recklessly drove into me at about 20MPH, with no brake application at all. No injuries to myself or any of the occupants of the other vehicle, thankfully. Of course, I was a bit shook up. I got out of my Bronco, expecting the worst. The Chevy sedan's front end was completely crumpled (likely totaled). To my astonishment, the rear of my vehicle was almost completely unscathed, with minor scratches to the paint on the spare wheel. The rubber of the spare tire essentially took 100% of the impact. Built Ford TOUGH, I guess!

This picture is my vehicle post-collision.
Note: Not including pictures of the sedan for the privacy of the other driver.

UPDATE: As many of you had suspected, there is some damage to the rear tailgate - some deformation where the spare tire mount attaches to the tailgate. Tailgate opening/closing and struts function perfectly. Should hopefully be a quick and painless repair. In the collision, contact was only made with the spare tire (no contact with the rear bumper or elsewhere).
Thank you all for the feedback!

Ford Bronco Rear Ended at ~20MPH - Minimal damage! IMG_0639
Sponsored

Last edited:

TXBronco1313

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Glad everyone made it out safe! Bronco looks brand new that’s what I love about how high up the ground they are. I’d still get it checked out to make sure the tailgate and everything else underneath is still intac

OP
OP
WojBomb

WojBomb

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Check out your tailgate carefully. It might just be the angle or camera distortion but the spare looks tilted to me.
Good suggestion. I'm planning on having it checked out in detail tomorrow - will check for any possible damage, out of caution.

OP
OP
WojBomb

WojBomb

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Glad everyone made it out safe! Bronco looks brand new that’s what I love about how high up the ground they are. I’d still get it checked out to make sure the tailgate and everything else underneath is still intac
Absolutely, planning on getting it checked tomorrow.

Sponsored

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Glad everyone is okay, and that you are getting it evaluated. The rear hits often hide damage well. The spare looks canted. Probably tailgate damage, even if minor. Also make sure the frame section is checked. I've seen a few rear hits posted that looked okay, but were hiding quite a bit of damage. Hopefully it's minimal, good luck!

TrailRaider

Badlands
First Name
Mr. G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST, Mitsubishi Montero, Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not too bad for 20MPH. I keep a pintle hitch in my receiver just in case someone wants to not pay attention at a stop light ;)
Ford Bronco Rear Ended at ~20MPH - Minimal damage! 1710049938412

Sits about flush with the tire but will hopefully prevent too much contact with the tire.

FordFamily4Fun

Black Diamond
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'10 Escape, '16 Explorer, '22 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Glad everyone and Bronc is OK. Interesting in that I wonder if the plastic bumper on the BB was able to flex and remold whereas a metal bumper on BD or BL might dent/scratch. Have no idea, but I hope the metal (lower portion) of my BD rear bumper would do just as well.

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Glad you're ok! I had a near identical rear end collision and my spare carrier, recovery hook & tailgate were kinked. Also, the rear edge of the cargo floor where the spare tire tool tub was pushed in a bit. Definitely have a good look around that area. Be sure to pull the rear sill trim to look at the metal itself underneath.

Sponsored

EvilJim1971

Heritage
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Heritage Edition
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Not too bad for 20MPH. I keep a pintle hitch in my receiver just in case someone wants to not pay attention at a stop light ;)
Ford Bronco Rear Ended at ~20MPH - Minimal damage! 1710049938412

Sits about flush with the tire but will hopefully prevent too much contact with the tire.
I would rather have a tailgate issue than having that damage transferred to the small area of the frame where the hitch mounts.

CarGuy

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Remove the spare and thoroughly inspect the tailgate. Spare looks tweaked - possibly pushed the outer skin of the tailgate in.

Carnutdallas

Heritage
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Plaid, Duramax Suburban, Ferrari F355
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Based on the picture, you need a new tailgate. Possibly the lower rear body panel below the tailgate as well and the spare tire mount. 20mph is pretty fast and with zero braking, would do significant damage. Th bumper is required to not deform at speeds less than 5mph. Will definitely deform at speeds of 20mph. I keep a receiver hitch mount in for low speeds, but does not protrude beyond spare. Frame is way stouter than the bumper mounts, but our hitches are just mounted to a portion of cross member and bumper body, not as strong as Class 5 attached to full frame rails.
I own a Ford Certified Collision center and make this statements with some level of knowledge. It is purely based on the picture, but I have witnessed the damage caused by automotive accidents for 30 plus years and over 20,000 or more vehicles (maybe 30k??). The Chevy did not make impact with the bumper as they did “soft” damage to hood, grill, lights, etc., which is designed to crumple and absorb energy.​
Anyway, don’t discount the damage you may have and the liability of the person that hit you. Take the spare off and look for damage! Best of luck to you.​

OP
OP
WojBomb

WojBomb

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Based on the picture, you need a new tailgate. Possibly the lower rear body panel below the tailgate as well and the spare tire mount. 20mph is pretty fast and with zero braking, would do significant damage. Th bumper is required to not deform at speeds less than 5mph. Will definitely deform at speeds of 20mph. I keep a receiver hitch mount in for low speeds, but does not protrude beyond spare. Frame is way stouter than the bumper mounts, but our hitches are just mounted to a portion of cross member and bumper body, not as strong as Class 5 attached to full frame rails.
I own a Ford Certified Collision center and make this statements with some level of knowledge. It is purely based on the picture, but I have witnessed the damage caused by automotive accidents for 30 plus years and over 20,000 or more vehicles (maybe 30k??). The Chevy did not make impact with the bumper as they did “soft” damage to hood, grill, lights, etc., which is designed to crumple and absorb energy.​
Anyway, don’t discount the damage you may have and the liability of the person that hit you. Take the spare off and look for damage! Best of luck to you.​
Thanks for this feedback, this is very helpful. Fingers crossed for only minor and repairable damages!

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah I’d say rear body panel is damaged as well. I took the same type of hit in my wrangler and it was around 2700 in repairs
Sponsored