Sponsored

Rear Shock and Link Mount Skids reviews / feedback?

Second Nature Overland

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Badlands Sasquatch 4-door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey all! I'm getting ol' Scrappy the Bronco (BadSquatch) ready some for Colorado trails around Buena Vista for Bronco Super Celebration West, including American Flag Mountain, and I wanted to get your feedback on the best rear shock mount skids for the money. Apologies if there's already a thread like this. I couldn't find one.

There seem to be quite a few to pick from, but they don't all include protection for the link mounts. How important would you say that feature is? Are we seeing a lot of rear link mount hits out in the wild? Are the skids stronger overall with the added material for the link mount? Any negatives to having the rear link mount skid like interfering with the trailing arm movement?

Also, I see a wide range in price.

Some examples:

$129.00 - MetalCloak - 3/16" steel, no link mount protection
$129.99 - DV8 - approx. 1/8" (3.5mm) steel plating, with link mount protection
$195 - RCI - 3/16" steel, with link mount protection
$197.10 - JCR - ?" steel, no link mount protection
$209 - BroncBuster - 3/16" steel, no link mount protection
$312 - ASFIR - 1/8" (4mm) steel, no link mount protection

I may be leaning more towards RCI, because I'm also interested in some of their other armor, including their crossmember skid plates and transmission skid plate, but I would really like to hear your recommendations and/or reviews for any of them. Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Tbrownski

Black Diamond
First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 2019 F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have the ac fab ones and accepted they’re going to be a sacrificial part because the shock bolt isn’t incorporated in them. Once they’re bent I’m going with the foutz ones. I have their rear diff skid and it’s HEAVY duty

Fastdrvn24

Wildtrak
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Wildtrak Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Just remember that the shock skid plates needed are dependent on which shock package you have. If you have a Sasquatch with the Hoss 3.0, the set from Lobo Off-road is a great choice (have it on mine).
https://lobooffroad.com/product/rear-shock-skid-kit-bronco-hoss-3-0/
Also, you’ll see in the pic a Rear Diff skid from Foutz, which I also highly recommend.

6E972EA5-8254-4430-8C38-08DA27D5CEDB.jpeg

A1CDEBD4-FE49-4887-B4EE-C62724754DE3.jpeg

Sponsored

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Rear link mount protection is kind of mall armor. Not really going to help with any major impact just the normal offroad wear and tear that is substantially less than what the shock mount gets.

I view the shock mount skids as a band aid, but serves a purpose if you have the SAS shocks with the easily removable reservoir. For the price of 2 drill bits or 1 uni-bit you can move the mount up.

More on topic, since its a forum unless we give our 2 cents first. I wouldn't buy a shock mount skid that doesn't have the shock bolt going through it. Your buying the skid to beef up the bracket and keep it from twisting. The lower shock bolt is the main point of strength and the other little bolts are stabilization. Some companies are selling you on ease of install but your just bolting metal to the part of the bracket that bends.

I like this design.
Ford Bronco Rear Shock and Link Mount Skids reviews / feedback? 1692891157119

I think this design will be cut off by a grinder after they take a hit and you can't get a socket back on the bolt.
Ford Bronco Rear Shock and Link Mount Skids reviews / feedback? 1692891250560

My personal take on the problem.
Ford Bronco Rear Shock and Link Mount Skids reviews / feedback? 1692891747800

OP
OP
Second Nature Overland

Second Nature Overland

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks all for the responses so far.

@Snacktime, I really appreciate your thorough reply. That information is very helpful. I'll look into the Metalcloak ones further. I'm not ready to move the mount up higher right now, but it's good to have that as an option in the future.

Rkgzx9leftcoast

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you wheel anywhere with rocks I would get the Rear lower arm front mount skid. ( the ones at the frame)
That is where mine took the most hits, they hang down and take a beating. Carli just released a lot of products for bronco, I like their design. acfab, asfir, and a few others make them as well

OP
OP
Second Nature Overland

Second Nature Overland

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you wheel anywhere with rocks I would get the Rear lower arm front mount skid. ( the ones at the frame)
That is where mine took the most hits, they hang down and take a beating. Carli just released a lot of products for bronco, I like their design. acfab, asfir, and a few others make them as well
Thanks. Yeah, I've contacted rocks on those previously, both on my Bronco and the one I drove at Bronco Off-roadeo. They already have light armor on them, so I just touch 'em up with Rust-Oleum as needed. If I did serious rock crawling, I might look into adding additional armor there.

Last edited:

Sponsored

NJBadlander

Badlands
First Name
Bravo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Rear link mount protection is kind of mall armor. Not really going to help with any major impact just the normal offroad wear and tear that is substantially less than what the shock mount gets.

I view the shock mount skids as a band aid, but serves a purpose if you have the SAS shocks with the easily removable reservoir. For the price of 2 drill bits or 1 uni-bit you can move the mount up.

More on topic, since its a forum unless we give our 2 cents first. I wouldn't buy a shock mount skid that doesn't have the shock bolt going through it. Your buying the skid to beef up the bracket and keep it from twisting. The lower shock bolt is the main point of strength and the other little bolts are stabilization. Some companies are selling you on ease of install but your just bolting metal to the part of the bracket that bends.

I like this design.
1692891157119.png

I think this design will be cut off by a grinder after they take a hit and you can't get a socket back on the bolt.
1692891250560.png

My personal take on the problem.
1692891747800.png
Curious what you did here exactly but appears you raised the whole shock mount unless is just the angle of the picture. That clearly solves the problem but not sure how you would do that without some cutting and welding along with a shock replacement.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Curious what you did here exactly but appears you raised the whole shock mount unless is just the angle of the picture. That clearly solves the problem but not sure how you would do that without some cutting and welding along with a shock replacement.
Drill new holes 2 1/4" higher, cut the rest off with grinder. Long as you lift the front to match you are good to go. Extremely noticable when wheeling, you just slide right over the top and drag the lower link.

IwannaGOfast

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ranger Long Travel, 2014 Cruze Commuter
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Drill new holes 2 1/4" higher, cut the rest off with grinder. Long as you lift the front to match you are good to go. Extremely noticable when wheeling, you just slide right over the top and drag the lower link.
I would assume you have at least 2 more inches of down travel with that setup as well. Unless another component is limiting the travel before the shock.

OP
OP
Second Nature Overland

Second Nature Overland

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Installed -- just in time for Bronco Super Celebration West!

Update: Added some better pics

Ford Bronco Rear Shock and Link Mount Skids reviews / feedback? DSC_5977.JPG
Ford Bronco Rear Shock and Link Mount Skids reviews / feedback? DSC_5978.JPG
Ford Bronco Rear Shock and Link Mount Skids reviews / feedback? DSC_5980.JPG
Ford Bronco Rear Shock and Link Mount Skids reviews / feedback? DSC_5981.JPG

Original pics (Sorry for the quality. I had to grab stills from the installation footage I shot.)
Ford Bronco Rear Shock and Link Mount Skids reviews / feedback? Untitled_1.1.1
Ford Bronco Rear Shock and Link Mount Skids reviews / feedback? Untitled_1.1.2
Ford Bronco Rear Shock and Link Mount Skids reviews / feedback? Untitled_11.2.1
Ford Bronco Rear Shock and Link Mount Skids reviews / feedback? Untitled_11.2.3
Ford Bronco Rear Shock and Link Mount Skids reviews / feedback? Untitled_11.2.4
Ford Bronco Rear Shock and Link Mount Skids reviews / feedback? Untitled_11.2.6
Ford Bronco Rear Shock and Link Mount Skids reviews / feedback? Untitled_11.2.7
Ford Bronco Rear Shock and Link Mount Skids reviews / feedback? Untitled_11.2.8

Ford Bronco Rear Shock and Link Mount Skids reviews / feedback? Untitled_11.2.9
Ford Bronco Rear Shock and Link Mount Skids reviews / feedback? Untitled_11.2.11

Ford Bronco Rear Shock and Link Mount Skids reviews / feedback? Untitled_11.2.10
Sponsored

Last edited: