Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, 2019 BMW X3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm new to this as well (but don't even have a VIN yet!), these links and other people's input/experience has been super helpful.

When those threads went sticky it made it tons easier to find things.

One thing I find is that your local geography will impact what you need to buy/get. I'm near forests so a winch is easier to use than if you were out in flat terrain or desert terrain. So take that into consideration when lining up your kit.
I’m in Minnesota so mostly wooded terrain as well. I have lots of research ahead of me! What a fun hobby to get into.
Sponsored

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Title of the thread says it all! So I'm interested in getting the gear required to be safe and prepared while off-roading. I want to buy a recovery strap but have no idea where to start. Any advice? What is necessary and what is overkill? Good brands? Any good videos that explain how to use them safely? Should I be buying the shackles? I have a Big Bend would the recovery strap be used differently with those recovery points versus the ones on say a BL or BD?

Thanks!
Ted
You can't go wrong with one of the ARB "kits"

ARB Weekender Recovery Kit
https://www.4x4truckleds.com/arb-weekender-recovery-kit/
Ford Bronco Recovery Strap - Where do I start? 1657418973236

Includes:
  • ARB 17,600 lbs snatch strap (ARB705LB)
  • 2 type “S” Galvanized 4.75T rated shackles
  • Leather Recovery gloves
  • Rugged PVC recovery bag
ARB Essentials Recovery Kit
https://www.4x4truckleds.com/arb-essentials-recovery-kit/
Ford Bronco Recovery Strap - Where do I start? 1657418996560

Includes:
  • 17,600 lbs snatch strap
  • 26,000 lbs tree trunk
  • 19,800 lbs snatch block
  • Snatch pack storage bag
  • Two 4.75T bow shackles
ARB Premium Recovery Kit
https://www.4x4truckleds.com/arb-premium-recovery-kit/
Ford Bronco Recovery Strap - Where do I start? 1657419034272

Includes:
  • 17,600 lbs snatch strap (ARB705LB) featuring genuine 20% stretch, 100% nylon, and made with reinforced eyes
  • 9,900 lbs winch extension strap(ARB720LB)
  • 26,000 lbs tree trunk protector (ARB730LB)
  • 19,800 lbs snatch block (10100020)
  • Recovery damper (ARB220)
  • Winch pack storage bag
  • Two 4.75T bow shackles
  • Pair Recovery Gloves – cow grain leather palm, cow split leather back
  • 600gsm PVC recovery bag (ARB501A)

Basically a snatch strap is used to have another vehicle pull you out of something like sand. You get a bit of momentum from the first vehicle and as it pulls the line stretches and "snaps" you out.

A recovery strap is used for a steady pull. NEVER get a running start with a recovery strap. Used if you are stuck in a hole and need someone to help pull you out as you drive out. Again you don't use existing momentum but you assist someone by pulling them as they drive out. This is also used with winches as you'll attach it to the tree safer/trunk protector.

A trunk protector/tree saver is a smaller strap that goes around a tree. It helps protect the tree so that your winch/lines don't dig into the tree. Throw it around a tree then attach your winch/recovery strap to this and winch yourself out.

Winch extension straps are used as they definition is... to extend a winch line a bit.

No matter what if you are hooking up any of these to something else (winch, tree, another vehicle) you want to use a dampener over the line. The Premium kit includes that, which goes over your lines, whereas the other 2 kits you would just use the bag itself. In a pinch, throw a towel/shirt/matt over your line. But ALWAYS have something thrown over your line. The idea is IF your line snaps, it'll fall to the ground from the weight of the dampener rather then fling around and hit someone.

And ALWAYS stand clear of vehicles/lines when a vehicle is being recovered. Do NOT stand next to a line. Just be safe.

ChompSticks

Black Diamond
First Name
ChompSticks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 E55 wagon, '98 Suzuki X-90, '96 Town Car
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Whatever recovery gear you get, just make sure you know how to use it correctly.

Tow straps work differently than kinetic ropes.

Pkrpro19

Badlands
First Name
Jaxon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5 M Sport, Mercedes Benz E350, Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Title of the thread says it all! So I'm interested in getting the gear required to be safe and prepared while off-roading. I want to buy a recovery strap but have no idea where to start. Any advice? What is necessary and what is overkill? Good brands? Any good videos that explain how to use them safely? Should I be buying the shackles? I have a Big Bend would the recovery strap be used differently with those recovery points versus the ones on say a BL or BD?

Thanks!
Ted

Harbor Freight, Badland gear is top notch that doesn't break the bank.

Murph914

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 F-350 reg cab srw v10 manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had a 7/8” Bubba Rope for my F-350 for years. Pulled out forklifts, my truck, other 1 ton trucks, fedex trucks. Sold the rope to a fedex guy that “had to have it”. The Bronco’s weight is on the edge of what a 3/4” kinetic rope will do, but I’m getting the 3/4”x20’ this time around. That 7/8”x20’ is a pretty bug gear bag. But they can get kinda violent. Make sure you know what you’re doing. Tow straps that have no stretch won’t slingshot at your head, but that violent yank is tough on both vehicles.

Eventually you’ll want a couple straps, a winch, shackles, and a kinetic rope.

Most guys should start with an ARB kit (bullet proof quality) as others have suggested. The kinetic rope is more fun, but a little advanced (make sure whatever you’re pulling on is strong - like a recovery point. The Bronco tow hitch is kinda weenie. If the other guy’s hitch snaps its coming back at you at a great rate of speed)
Ford Bronco Recovery Strap - Where do I start? 1657426902453

https://www.bubbarope.com/gear-sets/recovery-gear-set-bronco-edition

Sponsored

TXscooterguy

Black Diamond
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Corvette Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What would happen if I doubled up two separate 1/2 inch kinetic ropes? I'm sure it wouldn't have the same capacity as a 1 inch rope but it would have to be greater than a stand alone 1/2 inch. A big box store has a 1/2" x 20' kinetic rope for $29.00. Yeah, I know I'm cheap but in truth i'm not sure the thing will ever be used.

BulldogBear

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2000 Mercedes-Benz G500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What would happen if I doubled up two separate 1/2 inch kinetic ropes? I'm sure it wouldn't have the same capacity as a 1 inch rope but it would have to be greater than a stand alone 1/2 inch. A big box store has a 1/2" x 20' kinetic rope for $29.00. Yeah, I know I'm cheap but in truth i'm not sure the thing will ever be used.
Don't.

BulldogBear

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2000 Mercedes-Benz G500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Title of the thread says it all!

Thanks!
Ted
This thread has a lot of good information:
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/basic-recovery-gear.33947/

I'll repost some of the info I posted there, and this is mainly for those using straps as opposed to kinetic ropes, but many of the same points hold true:

1. MAKE SURE, Before you purchase ropes/straps/shackles/etc, you get items with the correct Working Load Limit (WLL). A Bronco GVW is ~6200lbs. If you get a strap rated for "Minimum Breaking Strength" of 7000lbs, you are not getting a strap with the proper WLL, and you, or someone helping you, will be very sorry. When your vehicle is stuck, the load on that strap is a lot more than ~6200lbs.

2. You want a Safety Factor of at least 5:1 on your straps/shackles/etc.

3. The static straps like the ARB versions have a 'recovery lifespan' - many are rated for 10 full-load pulls and are meant to be retired after that.

4. Wear gloves during a recovery.

5. Clean your straps/ropes after use (soap & warm water). Any foreign material (sand, dirt, mud, etc) trapped in the fibers decrease it's WLL, and will cause premature fatigue/failure. Last spring I pulled two side-by-sides out of some AZ quicksand where I used both my 150' synthetic rope and my 100' ARB strap. When I cleaned them, there was about 2" of sand left in the bottom of the 5 gallon bucket I used to wash them.

6. When you have to walk across the rope/winch line/strap connected to two vehicles (not under load), always step *ON* the rope/line/wire/strap. If it's under load, always walk the LONG way around.

7. Don't trust your rigging to anyone but yourself.

8. If you're using a "D-ring" (screw pin anchor shackle) - tighten it to where it's snug, then back it off a quarter turn.

I'm partial to synthetic rope vs the larger/wider tow straps, mainly because of the weight and space savings. Neither of those work the same way as a kinetic rope - with the straps/synthetic rope, you don't want to have a bunch of slack and then try to yank out a stuck vehicle like you would with a kinetic rope. Tow straps and synthetic ropes are designed to work much more like wire winch cable - slow pulls under constant load.

Blue Hen

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Base
I went with Rhino recovery strap and soft shackles. Lifetime warranty on all Rhino products. Small family run business in Cali.
Sponsored