Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You aren't alone. I feel dumb

See, apparently grey is only offered in the MIC but black is going to be the regular hard top.

What does that mean LOL
Wait...what? Why? That definitely makes no sense.
Sponsored

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I read this entire thread and still canā€™t figure out the difference between the two. :/ Somebody help me. Lol. What is the exact difference between the MIC and modular hard tops specifically for the four door version.
The modular top has removable rear quarter windows. They're made of different materials, and the modular is slightly heavier. And painted.

Lilj4425

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The modular top has removable rear quarter windows. They're made of different materials, and the modular is slightly heavier. And painted.
Thanks for the info. Any word on the weight of each? As long as the weight isnā€™t too much of a difference and I can get it in black, I will definitely go with modular as I want the removable rear quarter windows.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I read this entire thread and still canā€™t figure out the difference between the two. :/ Somebody help me. Lol. What is the exact difference between the MIC and modular hard tops specifically for the four door version.
4-door breakdown:

MIC: Stands for "Molded In Color" meaning the top is made molded out of a colored composite. 4 removable pieces. Two over the front seats (driver, passenger), one over both rear seats(the width of the vehicle), and the clamshell.

Modular: Built in pieces and painted. Heavier as a result, but rumor is that it will also be quieter. 6 removable pieces... the exact same 4 from the MIC, plus the two rear side windows on the clamshell.

No word on weight differences. There was an argument at some point what percentage difference it was, but even that devolved into a semantics fight (30% lighter vs 30% as heavy vs 30% heavier)

:EDIT:

Hello, itā€™s me from the future.

I wanted to check in and point out that @BroncoGuy clarified the construction later in this same thread. Hereā€™s what he said:

The MIC and Modular both use the same manufacturing process and materials with the exception of the outer shell. On the MIC a thinner thermoplastic sheet is used, while on the Modular it's a thicker SMC sheet.

Last edited:

Lilj4425

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
4-door breakdown:

MIC: Stands for "Molded In Color" meaning the top is made molded out of a colored composite. 4 removable pieces. Two over the front seats (diver, passenger), one over both rear seats(the width of the vehicle), and the clamshell.

Modular: Built in pieces and painted. Heavier as a result, but rumor is that it will also be quieter. 6 removable pieces... the exact same 4 from the MIC, plus the two rear side windows on the clamshell.

No word on weight differences. There was an argument at some point what percentage difference it was, but even that devolved into a semantics fight (30% lighter vs 30% as heavy vs 30% heavier)
Thank you. :) This info helps a ton.

Sponsored

Yolobaggins

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
4-door breakdown:

MIC: Stands for "Molded In Color" meaning the top is made molded out of a colored composite. 4 removable pieces. Two over the front seats (diver, passenger), one over both rear seats(the width of the vehicle), and the clamshell.

Thank you for this. So the modular has more pieces BUT you can remove different parts of the clam shell, meaning it will be much easier to remove the hard top completely (1 person easily)?

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you for this. So the modular has more pieces BUT you can remove different parts of the clam shell, meaning it will be much easier to remove the hard top completely (1 person easily)?
removing the glass first will certainly reduce the weight... but, the modular with the glass removed may not be lighter than the MIC top together... and either way, a Ford rep yesterday said that no matter what, it should be a 2-person job.

(Speaking from Jeep experience, even if you were capable of lifting it by yourself, navigating it off the vehicle with the roll bar and around the gate/spare... you'd want a second person anyway.)

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the info. Any word on the weight of each? As long as the weight isnā€™t too much of a difference and I can get it in black, I will definitely go with modular as I want the removable rear quarter windows.
A Webasto (hard top manuf.) employee on here said the modular is about 50% heavier.

If you take the rear windows out, it'll be much easier (lighter) to remove.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
A Webasto (hard top manuf.) employee on here said the modular is about 50% heavier.

If you take the rear windows out, it'll be much easier (lighter) to remove.
o_O hmm, 50% would be a significant difference in weight. I'm surprised to hear that.

I could see needing some different design around the rear side windows, that might increase the weight. For example, some additional bracings and framing thickness around the windows, and on the windows themselves, along with latching mechanism.

But how much weight would that add? I'm not sure why the entire top would need changes.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

o_O hmm, 50% would be a significant difference in weight. I'm surprised to hear that.

I could see needing some different design around the rear side windows, that might increase the weight. For example, some additional bracings and framing thickness around the windows, and on the windows themselves, along with latching mechanism.

But how much weight would that add? I'm not sure why the entire top would need changes.
Aside from the removable windows, everything else about the modular top seems to be different, down to materials and construction.

Sponsored

Yolobaggins

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Here is the $1000 question

Which one should people get?

Cause letā€™s be real, the soft top looks like garbage

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Aside from the removable windows, everything else about the modular top seems to be different, down to materials and construction.
I'm surprised at that. Especially if Ford makes the driver/passenger top panels different. Will be interesting to see the two tops up close eventually to compare.

BroncOBX

Black Diamond
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.polaris-intel.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford F-150 FX4; Mavic 2 Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is the same question I have. I want to know on the 2 door, if I can remove just the sides and back and leave the rear top on. How modular is modular?
+1 Exactly...how modular is modular and what are the structural differences? Still trying to get my mind right about after almost three months.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

+1 Exactly...how modular is modular and what are the structural differences? Still trying to get my mind right about after almost three months.
2-door breakdown:

MIC: Two removable pieces per the front seats (Driver and passenger) and the rear clamshell.

Modular: Exact same as the MIC, with an additional "gunner hatch" porthole thing over the rear two seats. Initially it was said that it also included rear removable windows... but a ford rep since said that wasn't the case. I don't believe we have had it officially confirmed either way. (B&P Where are you?!!)

Construction differences between the two are the same with the 4-door. My understanding is that each piece of the MIC is essentially a single molded unit. The modular top pieces on the other hand are comprised of components that are "assembled" to one another, resulting in a heavier unit.

::EDIT::

Another update from the future.
2-door Modular was ā€œconfirmedā€ by Ford rep to have removable rear windows.

And as I noted earlier in this thread, hereā€™s the construction differences:

The MIC and Modular both use the same manufacturing process and materials with the exception of the outer shell. On the MIC a thinner thermoplastic sheet is used, while on the Modular it's a thicker SMC sheet.

Last edited:

Killed By Death

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2C
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2-door breakdown:

MIC: Two removable pieces per the front seats (Driver and passenger) and the rear clamshell.

Modular: Exact same as the MIC, with an additional "gunner hatch" porthole thing over the rear two seats. Initially it was said that it also included rear removable windows... but a ford rep since said that wasn't the case. I don't believe we have had it officially confirmed either way. (B&P Where are you?!!)

Construction differences between the two are the same with the 4-door. My understanding is that each piece of the MIC is essentially a single molded unit. The modular top pieces on the other hand are comprised of components that are "assembled" to one another, resulting in a heavier unit.
Thanks for the summary! I was trying to read through all 9 pages to get the best 2 door answer.

I'm only interested in rolling bikini style (i.e. Rear windows removed). Doesn't look like that is happening for the 2 door. Gunner hatch only? No thanks, I'll save my money.
Sponsored