First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Article: https://www.musclecarsandtrucks.com/tuning-the-ford-bronco-may-prove-to-be-futile/

TUNING THE FORD BRONCO MAY PROVE TO BE FUTILE
The Bronco May Feature The Same Level Of Cybersecurity Hurdles As The C8

August 20, 2020

When Ford announced that they will be offering over 200 accessories for the Bronco when it hits dealer showrooms, they made it clear they expect people to customize the SUV. And while the turbocharged powertrains that underpin the lineup may seem like a tempting place to look for extra performance, it appears that tuning the Ford Bronco may prove to be a futile effort.

The modern ECUs that control all of the techno-wizardry that cars employ today are extremely complicated. In order to prevent any bad actors from messing with any of these computer systems with malcontent, companies have started employing serious cybersecurity and encryption measures. As a result, this has made it much more difficult for aftermarket companies to do any sort of engine tuning.

Like other vehicles that allow OTA updates, like the C8 Corvette from General Motors, the aftermarket could be stonewalled from accessing the ECU from its cybersecurity measures. Thereby rendering any proper tuning efforts impossible.

“We have to walk carefully there because a lot of the systems interface with each other and the aftermarket doesn’t always think about those interfaces,” said Bronco Program Manager Jeff Seaman in an interview with MC&T. “We’re going to have to work with our strategic partners and make sure that they provide things to the customer that are certainly robust.”

The key here is that Ford is going to have to work in tandem with the aftermarket when it comes to any sort of ECU-related modification for the Bronco. Thanks to a previous interview with Ford’s Head of Icons Dave Pericak, we know that the Blue Oval is working with SEMA to try and find a solution for this problem. What this actually is going to look like in practice however has yet to be seen.

“There’s a SEMA agreement where we authorize third parties to make engine calibrations and updates,” said Seaman. “I think this is definitely an opportunity to explore as we go forward. We’ve got the OTA architecture in place for the Bronco, but how that works with third party developers vs doing it in house and internal updates is still something to see how it will work.”

So folks, it appears that we are going to have to wait to see what the future holds for the Ford Bronco and the aftermarket that will grow to support it. It will be a real shame if the SUV is limited by its ECU, but that is something we all may have to deal with moving forward. Perhaps only a select few tuning companies will be given full-access by Ford, though we wouldn’t want to be the one to have to make those phone calls.
Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
They’ll make it happen. Every new generation of tech presents a new problem to overcome.

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

It will definitely slow things down, but I wouldn't be too worried about it.

The C7 ZR1 has OTA updates and tuners have gotten around this by swapping the ECU entirely or sending yours in to be modified to be able to accept aftermarket software flashes.

acetdeucy

Badlands
First Name
daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Corsair Lexus RX350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford offers their own Branded "tunes" for the 2.3 and 2.7 in other products. I expect they will do the same with the Bronco... why wouldn't they want an extra $995 in their pocket???

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I know Ford offers a tune for the 2.3 BUT where do they offer a tune for the 2.7?

Ford offers their own Branded "tunes" for the 2.3 and 2.7 in other products. I expect they will do the same with the Bronco... why wouldn't they want an extra $995 in their pocket???

Sponsored

Corsair

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Unless Ford is actively against people doing their own aftermarket tunes, I doubt it’ll be a problem for very long.

LemonShark

Outer Banks
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG, 2018 Honda Odyssey
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Pssssh. Just gimme an exacto knife, zip ties, and a manual boost controller. I got this. Let's gooooo!!

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
People will find a way. Just like when jailbreaking an iphone was popular and they always found a way
First thing I thought of when reading your post.

Ford Bronco Report: Aftermarket ECU tune for 2021+ Bronco may not work 1598132921739

Sponsored

AKaye

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Corvette Grand Sport, 2005 Ford Focus SES
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This would be a real bummer if they can't crack it. I honestly look forward to the day I get a tune as much as the day I'll take delivery. Tunes on Ecoboosts really wake them up and completely change the experience.

acetdeucy

Badlands
First Name
daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know Ford offers a tune for the 2.3 BUT where do they offer a tune for the 2.7?
i found it at a Ford parts website, using a yahoo search. I was looking for the same thing, last week. The Ford upgrade is a warranty. I also found others that I don’t know if they would be covered by Ford, like Hennessy, etc.

Last edited:

acetdeucy

Badlands
First Name
daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lol back in my day we had to physically change the eeprom chip on the circuit board of the cars brain

Kids these days ?
Ha, in my day, we had to adjust the points, advance the timing, remove the air cleaner, and put on dual exhaust. Then, when that wasn’t enough, we milled the heads and changed up the cam.

Last edited:

Xodric

Badlands
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Manitoba, Canada ( Born/Raised in Kansas )
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco XLT, 1979 F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't see why Ford would make it so you can't tune it outside of Ford. Anyone wanting to do any kind of racing with the Bronco isn't going to want to trust it with the dealership to do fine tuning for their application. Let me take my Baja 1000 trophy Bronco to Ford Dealership to fine tune. Nah, ain't happening.

acetdeucy

Badlands
First Name
daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't see why Ford would make it so you can't tune it outside of Ford. Anyone wanting to do any kind of racing with the Bronco isn't going to want to trust it with the dealership to do fine tuning for their application. Let me take my Baja 1000 trophy Bronco to Ford Dealership to fine tune. Nah, ain't happening.
HA! But that's not really what I was trying to say... If you have ford put in one of their tunes (better, but still pretty mild) then Ford will warranty the tune and potential damage to other stuff. If you go to aftermarket, to get a great big ole tune from someone else, then that's great too, but no more warranty!!!
Sponsored