Sponsored

Rising gas Prices. Anyone Planning on EV or Hybrid as DD ?

West1

Base
First Name
DM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base with OBX wheels
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Before I took delivery of the Bronco, I looked hard at the Wrangler Rubicon 4Xe. I bought a base Bronco so the cost of the 4Xe was substantially more. I calculated the "break even" on the 4Xe using gas prices before the recent increase and decided to go with the Bronco. Given the recent increase it would have been a much closer call. I have a 19 mile commute and a charger at work that costs $1.85 to top the battery off, but the 21 mile battery range left a little to be desired. I would have been happy with either vehicle, but do not regret buying the Bronco.
Sponsored

RubyRedGT

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco. Sold the 1968 and 2015 mustang GTs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nope. I planned on gas prices being $4 or more someday so no worries.

iwantabasebronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gmc
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You might want to try Normal. When I had a Bronco for a 3 day weekend (thank you dealer) I got slightly better mpg in Normal. YMMV
[/QUOthat’s good to know! Trying an experiment this weekend. 160 miles b
You might want to try Normal. When I had a Bronco for a 3 day weekend (thank you dealer) I got slightly better mpg in Normal. YMMV
that’s good to know! Trying an experiment this weekend: 320 miles round trip. Normal out and eco back

Sponsored

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

the Chevron down the street from my house (keep in mind, in CA, we don't get anything higher than 91 octane, so these prices are for 87, 89 and 91):
I've been working from home for about a year and a half, but now that things are getting better with Covid, my employer recently announced the return-to-office strategy. starting in May, I'll need to be in the office 3 days a week. It's 40 miles round trip each day I go to the office - this will add up quick if these gas prices remain at this level. I don't have a Bronco yet, but I do drive a 2021 ZR2 Bison, which gets similar gas mileage. If I set the cruise control at 60 on the highway, I can get 22mpg on the highway.. my overall average if I baby it, is about 17mpg

Screen Shot 2022-03-12 at 10.50.17 AM.png
They really won't add up that much. That puts your commute miles at about 500 miles per month. At 20 mpg and $6 gas, that's $150 per month. At 40 mpg, that's $75 per month. At 60 mpg, that's $50 per month. So, you could swap out to a Prius and save $100 per month while gas is expensive but surely there are better ways to save $100 :poop:

That's typical.

"I can afford do drive a vehicle that gets shit mpg, so I'm cool."

Unfortunately, as supply and demand economics work, you just fucked over the person who struggles to fill his beater Honda Civic to get to work to feed his family.
Interesting take. If I drive a 17 mpg Bronco 9 miles round trip to work and my coworker Joffrey drives his 40 mpg Corolla 70 miles round trip, who's the bigger antagonist in this drama?

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I haven't really crunched the numbers on this but I'm guessing unless you have an extremely long commute you'll never offset the cost of the hybrid with the gas you'll save by not driving the bronco.

t3n2and4

Badlands
First Name
VJ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands, F150, VW CC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Recently got a Maverick with the Ecoboost and have a Bronco 2dr on the way. Would have bought the hybrid Mav but no AWD or 4K tow on the hybrid.

I imagine gas prices are killing guys with huge tires. There seems to be some very wealthy individuals on this forum. I’m not in that camp.

Seriously considering selling the Mav and trying to get some kind of hybrid AWD for DD and keeping the Bronco for the cottage.
if they had a bronco hybrid I probably would have gone that way. The total economic impact to us from buying something different would be a lot, but the cars you’d sell on are popular so you wouldn’t lose much.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
For me, the ideal vehicle (if I had to have only one), would be an F150 hybrid. Live in the Appalachians, redundancy of systems is necessary. It can provide enough plug in power to provide the necessities in the house running when the power goes out. Need a truck up in here...

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Nobody normal, who actually "works their ass off" is proud to brag about spending 20 grand a year to fuel their vehicle.

Try again.
Lol, you know it all. Bravo. Feel free to share your crystal ball with the class.

I said there were months that cost $1,900. Every month wasn't the same, obviously. This was back in 2011 and I was spending a paycheck on fuel back then. Still drove what I loved. FAR from "rich" but I have worked very hard to be at this point in my life I'm comfortable and gas prices don't have an effect on me.

I still have my V10 and plan to drive it this week. It stopped being my daily driver in 2014 when I got my 6.2 F150 so it gets maybe 3k miles a year now.

The Bronco is the only v6 and best mpg vehicle I own.

20220204_072936.jpg

Screenshot_20220313-012806_Chrome.jpg

Sponsored

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
IMO, EVs r a terrible solution in general. First of all, to get anything with decent range, towing capability, and 4wd you are spending at least $60-70k. Then you have to worry about battery issues. Range is mostly terrible and oh let me figure out some complicated route with chargers along the way whenever I want to road trip. Also, when it's freezing or super hot outside the already crappy range is significantly reduced even further. When the battery gets older, the range also gets worse. Can't even imagine maintenance or replacement costs. Not to mention the economic impact is just as bad when you consider the materials that have to be mined and where most of our electric actually comes from and ultimately needs to be disposed of.

Toyota was on the right track developing hydrogen it's unfortunate the industry/bullshit marketing is leading them to change course since it is a much better solution to our problem.

Tallday

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester Toyota Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I am enjoying my 21 forester Touring. If I am aware of what I am doing and carful I get 27mpg mixed town highway driving as my DD. On average 50 miles a day. What kills me is the winters in CNY and running the car for 20min at 5am before going to work. Heated seats and all the creature comforts l8ke gas also.. is what it is. I also use my base 2008 highlander with a v6 and average around 18-19mpg and use that when the wife needs a car for the day. When I get my 2 door base Sasquatch it will replace my Toyota as my second car. With me being 6” 9 320lbs it’s hard for me to fit in anything smaller then a forester. If y’all “normal” ish size boys and girls the cross track is hard to beat for the price and Performance. For a bit more I’d go with the rave 4 hybrid if you had the cash. Unless you live in An area that’s not hit that hard in winters. If that’s the case do the right thing and get a basic ass Camry or the hybrid… Toytoa has had the gas sipping game going on for decades.. but that’s just me..

Bigwheelin

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 f150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Recently got a Maverick with the Ecoboost and have a Bronco 2dr on the way. Would have bought the hybrid Mav but no AWD or 4K tow on the hybrid.

I imagine gas prices are killing guys with huge tires. There seems to be some very wealthy individuals on this forum. I’m not in that camp.

Seriously considering selling the Mav and trying to get some kind of hybrid AWD for DD and keeping the Bronco for the cottage.
[/QUOTE
Roll on a Honda Grom in the summer months at 150mpg when i can, evens it out

OP
OP

JackD

Base
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Base
The hybrids or EV’s don’t work in the cold is a myth. Many, many Teslas and hybrids plugged in outside and driving here and it gets damn cold and we have real winter.
Sponsored