Rock Krawler Suspension coming Triangulated 4 link

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 6 Bronco - Jeep JKU - Wrangler LJ (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Heck, we did it in our garage with a floor jack and four jack stands. Just needed to hand the welding over to someone else as I can’t weld cast. (Not part of the install, but something I wanted done since the truss was being welded on too)
Agree... I would want it welded also. I wouldn't do the welding, but I know the "good" welder. ;)
Sponsored

SierraBronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Agree... I would want it welded also. I wouldn't do the welding, but I know the "good" welder. ;)
I took mine to a machine shop that’s been around forever. They put the axle in a lathe and straightened it if necessary as I have smacked it off rocks a bit. They lined the truss up perfectly, but the welds? They’ll hold but damn. They look awful. I think the guy could tell I wasn’t impressed and mentioned something about how difficult cast is, but the mig welds on the truss look pretty rough too. There’s penetration but…where’s the pride?

IMG_1400.jpeg

PEGB

Badlands
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Eruption Green Badlands Sasquatch Hardtop 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My god that’s awful. Welding cast isn’t dramatically different than welding steel (although cast is a widely used term full of nuances), it just typically pre-weld and post-weld procedures to avoid cracking related to stress. With modern filler metal options available for nearly every process, sound procedural methods that are readily available on the internet, and more consistency in the metallurgy utilized in modern casting operations, this isn’t difficult. What you have there is poor workmanship practices.

SierraBronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My god that’s awful. Welding cast isn’t dramatically different than welding steel (although cast is a widely used term full of nuances), it just typically pre-weld and post-weld procedures to avoid cracking related to stress. With modern filler metal options available for nearly every process, sound procedural methods that are readily available on the internet, and more consistency in the metallurgy utilized in modern casting operations, this isn’t difficult. What you have there is poor workmanship practices.
Thanks for confirming. I’m no welder but I could’ve done a better job, at least on the truss. I am very much considering getting these welds redone elsewhere.

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yeah those welds look like mine (shitty). Especially next to the factory welds from RK and NVM. But even so, if it was me, I'd just run it as-is. My guess is they're structurally OK even though cosmetically shit. Put a thick coat of primer and rattle-can, then go have fun. Save that shop time for the next upgrade.

Sponsored

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘24 V60 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Welding axles does take expertise.

You need to pre-heat it, work in small spread out sections, and then slowly bring it back down to temp by covering the axle with welding blankets overnight.

I just briefly scrubbed through this video, but it looks like good advice:

Dave Chappell (No relation) knows his stuff and even calls out the specific welding rod he is using.

Last edited:

PEGB

Badlands
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The first thing that needed to be done was identifying the base material as best possible. That would guide every decision moving forward (process, filler metal, joint design, pre/in-process/post welding needs, etc). Shooting from the hip here, if you brought that to me in its current state, I might advise you to start over. It might be cheaper/better outcome in the end. Cutting that off, getting all the parts back to a state they can be fit up properly then re-welded, and ultimately hoping that the excess heat he dumped into that axle hasn’t damaged the material or induced a deflection…it’s a bigger gamble than I would want to make. Not to mention the metallurgical challenges with whatever filler metal he chose. Do guys do it all day long and get lucky? Sure. Is it right? I guess it’s your money to say. Good luck and sorry this happened to you.

Edit: or as suggested, run it as is and maybe fix it later.

SierraBronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yeah those welds look like mine (shitty). Especially next to the factory welds from RK and NVM. But even so, if it was me, I'd just run it as-is. My guess is they're structurally OK even though cosmetically shit. Put a thick coat of primer and rattle-can, then go have fun. Save that shop time for the next upgrade.
The NV welds definitely bring out the shoddiness of their work. Steel-it covered everything up. And while you’re right, I can’t stand how awful it looks. I’m not exactly doing a cheap build.

IMG_1407.jpeg

SierraBronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The first thing that needed to be done was identifying the base material as best possible. That would guide every decision moving forward (process, filler metal, joint design, pre/in-process/post welding needs, etc). Shooting from the hip here, if you brought that to me in its current state, I might advise you to start over. It might be cheaper/better outcome in the end. Cutting that off, getting all the parts back to a state they can be fit up properly then re-welded, and ultimately hoping that the excess heat he dumped into that axle hasn’t damaged the material or induced a deflection…it’s a bigger gamble than I would want to make. Not to mention the metallurgical challenges with whatever filler metal he chose. Do guys do it all day long and get lucky? Sure. Is it right? I guess it’s your money to say. Good luck and sorry this happened to you.

Edit: or as suggested, run it as is and maybe fix it later.
Your tots and pears mean a lot 😂😉

PEGB

Badlands
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve been involved in manufacturing, fabrication and construction for a couple of decades or so. Specifically regarding welding and allied processes. The only definitive thing I can tell you is that our whole world is held together with “Tots and Pears”. I’m not religious, but it’s a miracle it all doesn’t just fall down around us, and dark comedy when it does.

Sponsored

SierraBronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Welding axles does take expertise.

You need to pre-heat it, work in small spread out sections, and then slowly bring it back down to temp by covering the axle with welding blankets overnight.

I just briefly scrubbed through this video, but it looks like good advice:

Dave Chappell (No relation) knows his stuff and even calls out the specific welding rod he is using.
Yeah, when I first asked him about it right away knew what rod to use and walked me through the process. Instilled confidence in his abilities and knowledge Looking at the housing it’s clear that he didn’t try to do it all at once and it appears that it was rotated to avoid warping. I’m not concerned with how it will hold up (with my minimal experience of such things) they just look terrible.

SierraBronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’ve been involved in manufacturing, fabrication and construction for a couple of decades or so. Specifically regarding welding and allied processes. The only definitive thing I can tell you is that our whole world is held together with “Tots and Pears”. I’m not religious, but it’s a miracle it all doesn’t just fall down around us, and dark comedy when it does.
Lmao. Right? Best to just not look at how well things like bridges are put together. Have some tots or pears and hope you stay lucky 😂
Sponsored