Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve been spending some time searching for the forums and interwebz, but having a hard time finding what I need.

I currently have mud flaps on my Bronco, which albeit I don’t mind, I would prefer to not have them at all. Yes, I know “iTz A bRoNcO” but I’d like to avoid unnecessary rock chips along the sides of my vehicle. I don’t want running boards, and am not going to buy different tires as I like the Goodyears.

Has anyone installed some form of rocker panel protection? I know Ford offers some, which seem kind of “cheap” looking and don’t cover much. Curious if anyone has done PPF on the rocker panels, and if so, how high up did you go? I haven’t seen anyone use bedliner/LineX on their Bronco rocker panels, but if you have, pictures would be great.

Any other options I haven’t thought of?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Mikerkelly

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So....I have a buddy who installs PPF professionally and he installed this on all 4 fenders, all 4 doors, and the hood in my garage.

https://a.co/d/b1WLvoK

I purchased two rolls of the 60"x20ft and we had leftovers, so one Roll will probably be plenty for all 4 (or 2) of your doors. Even though I assisted a professional....this was a pain to install. I STRONGLY RECOMMEND installing it inside a clean garage and use a clay bar (and no wax) before applying. Also watch multiple videos on how to apply it before hand.

I took mine to Big Bend in West Texas and got obvious cactus pin stripes that are no longer visible. A big enough rock will still put a chip through even the highest end PPF so don't go into this thinking it will be bullet proof...but a month into having this cheap PPF installed it seems to be doing okay.

OP
OP
604Bronco

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So....I have a buddy who installs PPF professionally and he installed this on all 4 fenders, all 4 doors, and the hood in my garage.

https://a.co/d/b1WLvoK

I purchased two rolls of the 60"x20ft and we had leftovers, so one Roll will probably be plenty for all 4 (or 2) of your doors. Even though I assisted a professional....this was a pain to install. I STRONGLY RECOMMEND installing it inside a clean garage and use a clay bar (and no wax) before applying. Also watch multiple videos on how to apply it before hand.

I took mine to Big Bend in West Texas and got obvious cactus pin stripes that are no longer visible. A big enough rock will still put a chip through even the highest end PPF so don't go into this thinking it will be bullet proof...but a month into having this cheap PPF installed it seems to be doing okay.
Thanks for the suggestion. I know PPF isn’t indestructible, however it should offer a decent level of protection.

I think I’m mostly interested on how LineX (or equivalent) might look on the lower rock panel, in white (to somewhat match my Oxford White Bronco). I saw one guy post on here his fully LineX’d Bronco, which looked good - But this is much different than a painted and partial LineX.

Tataman

Black Diamond
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Chevy suburban
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

WheresMyBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was originally planning on putting Xpel Armor along my rocker panels and I feel like this might actually fit exactly what you're looking for. It's a thick protective film that looks like bedliner/linex and is incredibly cheap (for a PPF type product). Go to "shop by the foot" for pricing.

I haven't seen many examples of people applying this to their vehicles when I was looking into it which sucked, but I did end up ordering some strips to see how they look. I'll try to dig those out and send you some pictures.

https://www.xpel.com/products/paint-protection-film/armor

Sponsored
OP
OP
604Bronco

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was originally planning on putting Xpel Armor along my rocker panels and I feel like this might actually fit exactly what you're looking for. It's a thick protective film that looks like bedliner/linex and is incredibly cheap (for a PPF type product). Go to "shop by the foot" for pricing.

I haven't seen many examples of people applying this to their vehicles when I was looking into it which sucked, but I did end up ordering some strips to see how they look. I'll try to dig those out and send you some pictures.

https://www.xpel.com/products/paint-protection-film/armor
Thanks - I’d love to see those pictures.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
There used to be a guy by the handle @broadicustomworks who has some thick stuff on the lower portions of his doors to protect from rock chips. I think it is the 7 mil thick wrinkle finish black vinyl they offer.

Not the closest pic of his rig, but you can zoom in like its somebody's garage and you're snooping for skeletons!

Ford Bronco Rocker Panel Protection 20230319_133713

Last edited:

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I know probably not what you are thinking, but I plan to Rhino Line the lower 1/4 of my Bronco.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
That's pretty sweet, too bad there's not a 2dr option yet
And it's $700+ with shipping.

Curious what type of adhesive they use on the material since magnets rarely stick to aluminum.

Sponsored

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

And it's $700+ with shipping.

Curious what type of adhesive they use on the material since magnets rarely stick to aluminum.
Probably the same kind of adhesive properties that a screen protector uses, which means the vehicle will likely need to be squeaky clean before application. Still, pinstriping is basically the only reason I haven't gone on a lot of trails that I could've gone down, so if that gets me there then it's worth more than just about any other mod I've done so far LOL

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I would have a good set of mud flaps and perhaps spray bedliner type material along the lower rocker panels...I think it would look good too.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think this is the stuff @broadicustomworks used on his Bronco.
It looks like it.
I have not read through the thread but if it is Xpel Armor, it's what I used.
Works great, I'd give it a 99 out of 100 score.
I've had it on there probably going on 15 months or so.
Cleans up easily, shows no signs of peeling up.
Only one spot had a rock penetrate it to the paint, other rock hits don't really show up.
Highly recommend it, cut it down to your liking as far as height.
I went with the body line down low and it cuts down on all of the rock dings, but to be 100% covered you'd have to do like the bottom 1/2 of the door.
I've had a couple happen above the protective film.
But the film itself is outstanding, does as advertised and then some.

Ford Bronco Rocker Panel Protection White rim entrance
Sponsored