Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I’ve been spending some time searching for the forums and interwebz, but having a hard time finding what I need.

I currently have mud flaps on my Bronco, which albeit I don’t mind, I would prefer to not have them at all. Yes, I know “iTz A bRoNcO” but I’d like to avoid unnecessary rock chips along the sides of my vehicle. I don’t want running boards, and am not going to buy different tires as I like the Goodyears.

Has anyone installed some form of rocker panel protection? I know Ford offers some, which seem kind of “cheap” looking and don’t cover much. Curious if anyone has done PPF on the rocker panels, and if so, how high up did you go? I haven’t seen anyone use bedliner/LineX on their Bronco rocker panels, but if you have, pictures would be great.

Any other options I haven’t thought of?

Thanks!
I installed PPF along the bottom 6” of the door panels and on the front of the fenders. I like how you can’t even see it unless you’re right on top of it, been through gravel and dirt roads, never had any issues with it. Bought it off Amazon

Vivid 3M Clear Vinyl

Ford Bronco Rocker Panel Protection C2E1CD0A-E6AA-4689-9F71-93AB586C6C77

Ford Bronco Rocker Panel Protection EC573CF2-185C-4CE2-818E-81B451AABA4D

They sell pre-cut kits for the 3M PPF but I didn’t feel like paying $120 for film I could just buy and cut myself.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Murph56789

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Broncos/F350s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I sprayed raptor liner on my rockers when I switched rock sliders again. Been on there for a long time now and holding up. But that’s what I expected, I’ve sprayed all kinds of stuff with raptor liner over the years. Holds up very well, and can be fairly smooth depending how you spray it.
4EE2ED99-EC94-4F01-B225-160AD03EBF2E.jpeg

OP
OP
604Bronco

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I sprayed raptor liner on my rockers when I switched rock sliders again. Been on there for a long time now and holding up. But that’s what I expected, I’ve sprayed all kinds of stuff with raptor liner over the years. Holds up very well, and can be fairly smooth depending how you spray it.
Ford Bronco Rocker Panel Protection 4EE2ED99-EC94-4F01-B225-160AD03EBF2E
Looks good!

I’m looking at going up the doors a bit higher, to where the natural “line” is part way up the door. I reached out to a local LineX dealer this morning and he mentioned he can colour match the Oxford White - albeit I know it’d have a matte sheen to it vs. shiny paint/clear coat. Being an authorized dealer, I assume if anyone’s going to get it as close to matching it’ll be them.

Definitely very interested in doing this, but also nervous AF on how it’ll look since there’s no going back after…

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Looks good!

I’m looking at going up the doors a bit higher, to where the natural “line” is part way up the door. I reached out to a local LineX dealer this morning and he mentioned he can colour match the Oxford White - albeit I know it’d have a matte sheen to it vs. shiny paint/clear coat. Being an authorized dealer, I assume if anyone’s going to get it as close to matching it’ll be them.

Definitely very interested in doing this, but also nervous AF on how it’ll look since there’s no going back after…

Yeah, I'm looking at having it done to the crease on the door and the full door sill. They scuff the paint pretty good, so once it's done, it's done. I'm thinking of having my flare deletes and sliders done as well so there will be more matching. If I still had flares I'd probably have them done too.

OP
OP
604Bronco

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, I'm looking at having it done to the crease on the door and the full door sill. They scuff the paint pretty good, so once it's done, it's done. I'm thinking of having my flare deletes and sliders done as well so there will be more matching. If I still had flares I'd probably have them done too.
*Anxiety intensifies*

:ROFLMAO:

Sponsored

Murph56789

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Broncos/F350s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That should look good. I didn’t want to spray my sliders because after every offroad trip I spray paint any scrapes. While bedliner will hold up to a lot, it won’t hold up to the whole weight of the bronco scraping across a rock. I am planning on spraying my fender deletes though. I have the rough country ones and the paint was chipping before I even installed them.

OP
OP
604Bronco

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Further to my post last night, I forgot to mention the LineX guy suggested doing black instead of white. Any feedback from you fine folks on black vs. white?

After sleeping on it, I'm wondering if the flat black of the LineX would compliment the front/rear bumpers and rock rail, as well as my vinyl decals, or would it looks stupid and better to try to get as close of a match to Oxford White as possible? Keeping in mind that even a very close match to Oxford White would still not be an exact match to the paint itself.

The below picture shows from which point I'd have it sprayed (white or black), downward.

Ford Bronco Rocker Panel Protection IMG_9028

talbot

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr BL AMB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Further to my post last night, I forgot to mention the LineX guy suggested doing black instead of white. Any feedback from you fine folks on black vs. white?

After sleeping on it, I'm wondering if the flat black of the LineX would compliment the front/rear bumpers and rock rail, as well as my vinyl decals, or would it looks stupid and better to try to get as close of a match to Oxford White as possible? Keeping in mind that even a very close match to Oxford White would still not be an exact match to the paint itself.

The below picture shows from which point I'd have it sprayed (white or black), downward.

Ford Bronco Rocker Panel Protection IMG_9028
a flat black that closely matches your decal would probably look good

OP
OP
604Bronco

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

a flat black that closely matches your decal would probably look good
Yeah, good point. I also have an ADV hardtop on order, so that'll be another layer of a flat black on the vehicle too.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

IMG_9028.jpeg
Personally I like complimentary or contrasting colors on a vehicle.
I think it can serve to bring out details or hide others with the correct use case.
A lot of times it can serve to tie in other details or balance out overall the use of two totally different colors.
ALL of which is what you talked about with the bumpers and top.
With your wheels being black, bumpers, decals, top, and all the pillar and ST trim and hardware, a black underside would continue to add to that and tie it all in.
The detriment would be more dark on your white overall vehicle.
It's kinda the opposite of people color-matching everything they can until it's almost monochrome.

If it were my ride, I'd go with the matte black Rhino.
I think it would pair nicely with the features and accents you already have.
And it will be immensely easier to keep looking nice and clean vs something white AND textured down low on the dirt-belt of these things.

But maybe take it a step further and do at least the rails as well. It would draw the eye and balance it out even more if "everything from here down" had the same sheen and texture.

Sponsored
OP
OP
604Bronco

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Personally I like complimentary or contrasting colors on a vehicle.
IT think it can serve to bring out details or hide others with the correct use case.
A lot of times it can serve to tie in other details or balance out overall the use of two totally different colors.
ALL of which is what you talked about with the bumpers and top.
With your wheels being black, bumpers, decals, top, and all the pillar and ST trim and hardware, a black underside would continue to add to that and tie it all in.
The detriment would be more dark on your white overall vehicle.
It's kinda the opposite of people color-matching everything they can until it's almost monochrome.

If it were my ride, I'd go with the matte black Rhino.
I think it would pair nicely with the features and accents you already have.
And it will be immensely easier to keep looking nice and clean vs something white AND textured down low on the dirt-belt of these things.

But maybe take it a step further and do at least the rails as well. It would draw the eye and balance it out even more if "everything from here down" had the same sheen and texture.
Always appreciate and respect your input, Dave - Thank you! I keep looking more and more at it, and thinking black may be the best route to go if I do this. I was even looking for some black masking tape to see if I could (poorly) mock this up on the truck to see what it may look like :ROFLMAO:

Funny you mentioned doing the rock rails too - If I go with the black, my intention was to do the rail as well. I think it'd help in the overall look (and further protection).

paperboy

Badlands
First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Passport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Always appreciate and respect your input, Dave - Thank you! I keep looking more and more at it, and thinking black may be the best route to go if I do this. I was even looking for some black masking tape to see if I could (poorly) mock this up on the truck to see what it may look like :ROFLMAO:

Funny you mentioned doing the rock rails too - If I go with the black, my intention was to do the rail as well. I think it'd help in the overall look (and further protection).
Hey 604, did you ever complete this mod with the LineX? Sorry, can't recall from your build journal.

I just received my 2023 VB 2 Dr Badlands. I also want to cover my rocker panels and also at the same height as you were suggesting. Given my VB colour, I was always going to do a matte black.

I am curious about your experience with LineX. The Xpel Amor used by Dave @broadicustomworks also looks very appealing. Not sure which is better and which is easier as a DIY.

Thanks for all thoughts!

Cheers.

OP
OP
604Bronco

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey 604, did you ever complete this mod with the LineX? Sorry, can't recall from your build journal.

I just received my 2023 VB 2 Dr Badlands. I also want to cover my rocker panels and also at the same height as you were suggesting. Given my VB colour, I was always going to do a matte black.

I am curious about your experience with LineX. The Xpel Amor used by Dave @broadicustomworks also looks very appealing. Not sure which is better and which is easier as a DIY.

Thanks for all thoughts!

Cheers.
Hey,

I didn't end up doing it, and opted to install the GOAT Fab rock sliders instead. It has done a great job protecting the area I was most concerned with since removing my mud flaps.

Sorry I can't be more help on the LineX piece. If you do go this route, please post some pictures!

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

paperboy

Badlands
First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Passport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There is also this option sold by Ford or Air Designs. Would match the flares and the hood deflector a lot of people install.

https://www.airdesignusa.com/2021-2022-bronco-appearance-kit-set-side-2-doors.html
Thanks for posting this option. I was unaware. Now I have 3 to consider. (I find myself spinning in circles with every mod and all the options o_O)

Looks simple enough, durable, and can be painted. I would worry about water sitting in behind. Do you know if that is a problem?

Do you know of any forum photos of these installed?

Edit - sorry I see these are on pre-order...
Sponsored