Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I am interested in more clearance in the back area, for standing with a pop top camper with access from the inside.

1) Anybody know if the Bronco would fold up in on itself if you deleted the roll bar?

2) For example what if only : the roll bar rear cross bar was deleted?

3) What if the rear cross bar was deleted - and replaced with the mid-cross bar as found in the Raptor?

Any insights would be appreciated!

Ford Bronco ROLL BAR DELETE 2021-Ford-Bronco-Four-Door-18813

Ford Bronco ROLL BAR DELETE Screenshot 2023-01-24 135550

Ford Bronco ROLL BAR DELETE Screenshot 2023-01-24 135638

bronco brace.jpg

Bronco parts.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Layman

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No way would I risk the structural stability by removing the rollbar.
I am with AMTRV. This is a bad idea. My guess is you will not get any feedback on this, because no one has tried it, because "this is a bad idea."

Rspayde

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C/O Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I would be interested in a pop-top camper top that was full integrated into the Bronco top. Some day we will get it just not anytime soon. Until then I would not advise messing with the hard top design to much. Hardly works as is.

Sponsored

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Only one way to find out...

saw-makita.gif

I in no way recommend doing what you suggested but the only plausible way would be option 3, but instead of using the BRaptor bar, maybe relocating the existing bar 18" forward or so. I am very pro DIY but, again, I don't recommend doing this. Just, no, don't do this.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It's body on frame construction. It won't fold up. That said you will likely have issues with the body itself. Doors and rear door would likely stay aligned. You would need to add in some bracing to keep things where they belong.

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I am interested in more clearance in the back area, for standing with a pop top camper with access from the inside.

1) Anybody know if the Bronco would fold up in on itself if you deleted the roll bar?

3) What if the rear cross bar was deleted - and replaced with the mid-cross bar as found in the Raptor?
Most of the dissenting opinions you'll get are from people who have never built anything. But of course this can be done by a COMPETENT fabricator with the right tools and skills. In fact I think it would be an interesting project. Do like you suggested in option 3. Cut out the rear cross bar, weld in a custom-fabricated cross bar further forward to allow access for your camper. That said, I wouldn't consider this as a driveway mod or DIY project for a first-time fabricator.

There is a legacy for Bronco-mounted campers reaching back to the Early Bronco. I think it would be cool to see that brought forward.

Just my opinion, which is worth what you paid for it.

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base

Any insights would be appreciated!

Ford Bronco ROLL BAR DELETE saw-makita

As mentioned, because Bronco construction is body on ladder frame, you don't have to worry much about body shell integrity (compared to if you were dealing with a unibody construction).

I bet you could modify the Bronco roll bar structure without much issue, providing you take into account that the window surround seals and some other stuff, needs to be kept in same location to function properly. Because that stuff is located by the roll bar structure.

I happen to have a Jeep TJ with back portion of roll bar removed (see photo below). No issues at all. But the roll bar was not doing much else functionally (other than providing a mounting point for rear seatbelts).

Personally, I'd be hesitant to hack too much into a brand new expensive vehicle. That's the beauty of older 4x4s, they can be a canvas where you can do all sort of creative mods. If you do end up modding the Bronco roll bar, please share it would be interesting.

Ford Bronco ROLL BAR DELETE JeepTJ

OP
OP
Bruno

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

As mentioned, because Bronco construction is body on ladder frame, you don't have to worry much about body shell integrity (compared to if you were dealing with a unibody construction).

I bet you could modify the Bronco roll bar structure without much issue, providing you take into account that the window surround seals and some other stuff, needs to be kept in same location to function properly. Because that stuff is located by the roll bar structure.

I happen to have a Jeep TJ with back portion of roll bar removed (see photo below). No issues at all. But the roll bar was not doing much else functionally (other than providing a mounting point for rear seatbelts).

Personally, I'd be hesitant to hack too much into a brand new expensive vehicle. That's the beauty of older 4x4s, they can be a canvas where you can do all sort of creative mods. If you do end up modding the Bronco roll bar, please share it would be interesting.

JeepTJ.jpg
Thanks - yea basically just wanted to move the cross bar forward, to be able to stand up back there with a pop top camper.

This company is supposedly making one for the Bronco
https://ursaminorvehicles.com/j30-pop-up-camper-jl-2.html

They have not in the past - but I pray they make the bed fold up, so you can use the back to stand up like this:

** The AluCab Hercules does this:
https://www.alu-cab.com/product/hercules-roof-conversion/

Im super doubtful AluCab will make a Bronco Pop-Up - which sux

Ford Bronco ROLL BAR DELETE alvord_jl_1200_x_800

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ask your insurance company.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thanks - yea basically just wanted to move the cross bar forward, to be able to stand up back there with a pop top camper.

This company is supposedly making one for the Bronco
https://ursaminorvehicles.com/j30-pop-up-camper-jl-2.html

They have not in the past - but I pray they make the bed fold up, so you can use the back to stand up like this:

** The AluCab Hercules does this:
https://www.alu-cab.com/product/hercules-roof-conversion/

Im super doubtful AluCab will make a Bronco Pop-Up - which sux

Ford Bronco ROLL BAR DELETE alvord_jl_1200_x_800
I've got an old Series Land Rover, and that reminds me, there was a camper option called the Dormobile. There were a few different variants, but similar to those photos you posted, the new popup top section replaced the upper portion of the hardtop.

Ford Bronco ROLL BAR DELETE LandRover-Series-Dormobile
Sponsored