Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
OBX Sas Bronco, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

OP did not say anything about rubbing.

Where are you getting that it rubs ? Plenty of other posts on B6G with this exact combination and I don’t recall any reporting they are rubbing.

If it rubs, then lift of course. Duh.
Sorry if I wasn't clear (and was mostly joking) but I meant offroad conditions when your vehicle flexes, I'd suspect a non-lifted 35 would rub when hitting an obstacle that required flex. I am sure 35s with no lift will be completely fine for normal road driving.

Looked through a couple of posts just now before posting and there seems to be a mixed consensus. So I'd reckon if there is rubbing, it would be minimal. I personally like the added wheel well space ... makes me want to go up to 37s :D ... BUT that will result in rubbing and requires quite a bit to get it not to.
Sponsored

BroncoA512021

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Shortly after I picked up my bronco, I swapped the wheels for sas take offs. I removed both crash bars on the front. No lift/level. No rubs or issues. I know this has been covered in the past I just figured I would add again incase someone is looking to do the swap.

I live on a gravel road so it wasn’t long before I added mud flaps and sas fender flares. They helped to cut down the rocks being thrown at doors. Then several months later I added a 2” lift just for the looks.

1st pic is new when we picked it up.
2nd pic is just with the wheel swap.
3rd pic is with the sas flares and mud flaps
4th pic is compare before and after the 2” lift.
5th pic is current

2023 obx. Non sas.
IMG_0253.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpeg

IMG_1136.jpeg

IMG_1170.jpeg

IMG_1679.jpeg

OBX Non-SAS -4" Lift - Wildtrack Wheels/Tires - Did not have to remove crash bars.
Bronco lift.jpg

BigShan808

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco and 2021 F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Sorry if I wasn't clear (and was mostly joking) but I meant offroad conditions when your vehicle flexes, I'd suspect a non-lifted 35 would rub when hitting an obstacle that required flex. I am sure 35s with no lift will be completely fine for normal road driving.

Looked through a couple of posts just now before posting and there seems to be a mixed consensus. So I'd reckon if there is rubbing, it would be minimal. I personally like the added wheel well space ... makes me want to go up to 37s :D ... BUT that will result in rubbing and requires quite a bit to get it not to.
Beware, a lot of members here are sensitive folk. Love to blow up comments and are finger-flexers! I got your humor the instant I read this.

To the OP, love the transformation. Hard to come across takeoffs here in the islands and when they did pop up, I didn't have the funds to allocate for them. We pay premiuim for everything here, and the markups are ridiculous. So we're gonna go with 285/70 or 295/70 on our OBX. I have Rough Country's N3 2" coilover lift kit sitting in the garage waiting to be installed once we get the tires. We're just manifesting/willing the funds be available.

RexAd

Outer Banks
First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco OB 2.7 Lux Non Sas
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks for the info.
I have the 3.7 ratio. Wonder how that would feel different with the 35’s from the get up and go.

Does your OBX bumper align with the new SAS flares or is there a visible mismatch since they’re wider?

Stock Goodyears from the Sasquatch package. 315/70/17

Fuel mileage is similar. Normally get around 18-20 mpg.

4.27 gear

You can tell it has bigger tires when starting and stopping but not a huge difference.

OP
OP

Brettlil17

Outer Banks
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks for the info.
I have the 3.7 ratio. Wonder how that would feel different with the 35’s from the get up and go.

Does your OBX bumper align with the new SAS flares or is there a visible mismatch since they’re wider?
I’m not sure about the 3.73 gear question. Id say it would be fine.

I have mud flaps so the fender flares actually aligns good. But they do sell the bumper extensions if you don’t want mud flaps.

IMG_2092.jpeg

Sponsored

jrandy

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I did the SAS take-offs on non SAS OBX as well. Just crash bars removed... And I have the 3.73 gears. I was expecting a larger difference after moving to the 35s to be honest.

I haven't properly taken it off road as it's only been a week or so. But, the most off road it will more than likely see are some fire access trails or Oceano Dunes in PISMO.

Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 10.36.03 AM.png

RexAd

Outer Banks
First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco OB 2.7 Lux Non Sas
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Was there any noticeable difference in day to day driving? Maneuverability, performance, control, etc?

I did the SAS take-offs on non SAS OBX as well. Just crash bars removed... And I have the 3.73 gears. I was expecting a larger difference after moving to the 35s to be honest.

I haven't properly taken it off road as it's only been a week or so. But, the most off road it will more than likely see are some fire access trails or Oceano Dunes in PISMO.

Ford Bronco SAS wheels and tires on non-SAS Outer Banks Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 10.36.03 AM

HotLap

Outer Banks
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor and 2019 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Looks much better, congrats! I went a similar route with my 23 OBX, SAS (Wildtrack) takeoffs, did the Bilstein 6112 2” lift and went with Toyo OC A/T IIIs (35x11.5) and was able to keep the OBX flares. If you ever decide to upgrade your suspension, I highly recommend the 6112s, a reasonably priced upgrade and a night and day difference between the soft OBX Hitachi suspension…

DBX2

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco; '23 F150 reg cab 5.0, custom interior
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Looks much better, congrats! I went a similar route with my 23 OBX, SAS (Wildtrack) takeoffs, did the Bilstein 6112 2” lift and went with Toyo OC A/T IIIs (35x11.5) and was able to keep the OBX flares. If you ever decide to upgrade your suspension, I highly recommend the 6112s, a reasonably priced upgrade and a night and day difference between the soft OBX Hitachi suspension…
Looks great. Enjoy!

OJzBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco OBX, Platinum Sequoia
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Shortly after I picked up my bronco, I swapped the wheels for sas take offs. I removed both crash bars on the front. No lift/level. No rubs or issues. I know this has been covered in the past I just figured I would add again incase someone is looking to do the swap.

I live on a gravel road so it wasn’t long before I added mud flaps and sas fender flares. They helped to cut down the rocks being thrown at doors. Then several months later I added a 2” lift just for the looks.

1st pic is new when we picked it up.
2nd pic is just with the wheel swap.
3rd pic is with the sas flares and mud flaps
4th pic is compare before and after the 2” lift.
5th pic is current

2023 obx. Non sas.
IMG_0253.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpeg

IMG_1136.jpeg

IMG_1170.jpeg

IMG_1679.jpeg
Love the ride height of this now. I see you lost the body painted fenders due to gravel road. Hope you kept them for later in case you move.

RustysBronco

Badlands
First Name
Matt "Rusty" R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco SAS wheels and tires on non-SAS Outer Banks 20220317_152244

Looks great. Having done this myself on my OBX, I'll share a few things from my personal experience, so that those interested can here caution.

1. When I did the swap, I found the stock front axles (M190 diff)had difficulty tolerating the extra weight of the larger wheels and tires. Occasionally, I would hear clicking sounds from the front when driving fast in turns. Maybe this was why the factory uses a completely different differential, axles, and rack for the SAS models?

2. There was definitely a lot more vibration felt afterwards. To the extent that even after 2 different balancing sessions, I changed tires hoping for improvement. While the BFG KO2's helped, it didn't make it go away completely. I'm guessing the changes in the suspension geometry were a culprit as well.

3. While the gearing did seem fine for daily driving, I did find having to give it a lot more gas to get it moving.

Frustrated with the issues notes above, I took a OEM SAS out for a test drive to compare the ride. Ultimately, I knew that getting the ride to feel right like was going to be a money pit, so I instead traded into a SAS Badlands.

Your mileage may vary.
Sponsored

Last edited: