Pilsner

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, 81 Bronco, 21 BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Most of the aluminum skids are from 5052, and because aluminum weighs so much less than steel it is possible to go to 1/4" plate for skids. Its not all about tensile strength when it comes to skids.

It depends on how you wheel. Uncoated Alu is not great for rock crawling as it tends to "grab" rocks, but people into rocks probably already know that. It is great for incidental contact. I don't like Alu for the front engine "bash" plate or sliders. I plan on keeping those steel, but the rest will eventually get Alu. Also lower control arms will have steel. Those tend to get slammed too.
Sponsored

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Depending on your engine configuration, Talons garage makes a very good transmission pan that mates up to your stuff. RCI makes one as well but itā€™s not as strong as far as ribbing. Talons garage has several more iterations coming to market soon to account for the cross members on the 2.7 and sway bar disconnect on the badlands. Until then, RCI works as does a Amazon company called Mabett. The Mabett May require some cutting to fit.

Here are some videos to enjoy on why a transmission skid is needed:)

And he is the Talons garage for the 2.3

I have a Talon Transmission skid and the skid @popo_patty installed is a response to the changes I made to mine to better work with a 2.3 Engine Bronco. Talon Garage transmission skid for the 2.3 is the best clearance, the most support and best coverage. This is an evolved product, how many other skid plate manufactures have revised their design?

I am also looking at Metalcloak. That gold is bada$$!!!!!
They need to redesign the whole setup from the ground up. Mine didn't survive the Rubicon, I have since bought different skids (Talon, RCI and stock is better lol).

I have a skids from mountain offroad. I went with steel. No more factory skid screeching. Not worried about damaging anything underneath. I installed a oil drain kit to change the oil without pulling the a skid. I installed Asfir skids on the transmission brackets with a little modification. https://mountainoffroad.com/collections/ford
Those look promising, one piece fuel tank skid, overlapping joints and good coverage.

telenerd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wanted a smooth surface skid that covered the control arms and gas tank. The area that seems to catch the most. I went with steel belly pan skids from Rock Hard since I like to go on rocky trails in the Rockies. šŸ˜‚

IMG_3989.jpeg

Sponsored

Squashed

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2020 F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Asfir transmission bracket guards are steel also

20230925_155408.jpg

OP
OP
Roofus

Roofus

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ford Bronco School me on skidplates IMG_2609
Ford Bronco School me on skidplates IMG_2610

I started pricing some of this out and realized along the way that this is going to be a hurdle. Iā€™ll try to snap a pic of the underside of my hidden winch mount for you guys, but any recs here would be helpful.
Iā€™ve got some time. Weā€™ve pretty much mapped out our big trips this year, and the only one that Iā€™ve been told absolutely needs skids will be The Pilgrimage in VT in October. So plenty of time to try to figure out what works, but trying to plan ahead a bit.
Sponsored