Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Badlands 2D, 22 BD 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I blew up one of these cases in my old ranger. I work at the dealer so we opened it up. I'll see if i can find the pics.

What happens with these most of the time in snow or ice, is that the tires spin, then abruptly make contact, coming to an abrupt stop and shred the gears like butter. The tech write up will most likely just say internal failure.

Not saying this is what happened to you. That's what I did..... and what most that we see have done.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Kickit

Kickit

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

When the repair is finished OP should get a copy of the invoice which should include the technician writeup. It will likely show what the failed (causal) part is and provide clarity, this is also what Ford sees when it's submitted for warranty reimbursement. If not, the OP can give me their VIN and I can check the warranty history (after Ford pays the claim) and verify what was done.

Although I don't have numbers to back this up, single, much less multiple failures of the same component, is rare. Not accusing or suggesting this but the first assumption that's made after same component failure is usually driver induced. There're so many factors that can impact this type of failure (internal components, overheating, outside damage, multiple modules and control systems, sensors, etc). The possibility the repairing tech is able to say with 100% confidence what happened is not likely to happen. Ford expects us to identify the causal part when doing a repair to make sure what failed is first, warrantable (AWD module going bad and causing transfer case to shit the bed may not be covered if the module is only 3/36) and second, make sure it is the only cause of the failure so they won't be on the hook for a subsequent repair .

The more systems and complexity of those systems is making it a lot more difficult for techs to properly find the root cause. We've had engines preform rapid, unscheduled, disassembly, perform what failure analysis we can, then be given grief on the claim because we couldn't say for certain if a rod broke first, it dropped a valve, fuel injector stuck open, piston split or something else. Claim got denied and we had to go round and round with Ford for months to get it paid.

The only hope in this situation is the internal damage was extensive enough to warranty replacing the assembly in order to eliminate the possibility of a missed internal anomaly.
I will gladly offer up the technician write up when itā€™s given to me if that would shed any light on whatā€™s caused the problem. It does sound like they arenā€™t really going to do much investigating at the actual repair shop itā€™s at currently though and have just decided to turf the part to ford for further input so Iā€™m not sure Iā€™ll get a lot from them.

As for user error, Iā€™m not above admitting fault (at least on here) if it is me who caused the problem. That being said I donā€™t think I did anything grossly outside what would be expected for a first time off-road vehicle owner. Both times the failure occurred was when I was stuck in snow, it was in 4h, my initial attempt was to drive out and the wheels spun a bit before I stopped pressing the gas. Of note each time the wheels were spinning, if I tried to turn the steering wheel I could hear what almost sounded like a pinging noise. It truly did sound like the gears werenā€™t catching for whatever thatā€™s worth given my limited knowledge of auto mechanics. So definitely level with me on here, Iā€™d like to not make the same mistake again. As it is Iā€™m just disinclined to take it to the snow now.

in spite of the problems that seem to occur in the snow only, Iā€™m overall thrilled with the Bronco. As familiar as I am with the saying ā€œfool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on meā€, my husband and I have both agreed that if we were to have to get a new vehicle, it would probably be another Broncoā€¦ā€¦ā€¦šŸ˜¬

NorthShoreBronco

Badlands
First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

These are the only two pictures I could find. But if your tires were spinning and all of a sudden grabbed onto some traction, that's what caused it.

153603411_225016459304106_362415494487953005_n.jpg

PXL_20210104_134438152.jpg

OP
OP
Kickit

Kickit

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

These are the only two pictures I could find. But if your tires were spinning and all of a sudden grabbed onto some traction, that's what caused it.

Ford Bronco Second failed transfer case PXL_20210104_134438152

Ford Bronco Second failed transfer case PXL_20210104_134438152
Well thatā€™s gnarly. So aside from trying to avoid spinning the tires how does one avoid doing this?

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry for your trouble & hope they get you fixed before too long.

Here is some good info for those following the thread šŸ¤  .

I don't think I've ever seen someone split a case while still in the rig. If it works it works.

I really don't like using 4A, don't trust it. In the rare instance I want to use Sport I always switch back to 2H.

Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I will gladly offer up the technician write up when itā€™s given to me if that would shed any light on whatā€™s caused the problem. It does sound like they arenā€™t really going to do much investigating at the actual repair shop itā€™s at currently though and have just decided to turf the part to ford for further input so Iā€™m not sure Iā€™ll get a lot from them.

As for user error, Iā€™m not above admitting fault (at least on here) if it is me who caused the problem. That being said I donā€™t think I did anything grossly outside what would be expected for a first time off-road vehicle owner. Both times the failure occurred was when I was stuck in snow, it was in 4h, my initial attempt was to drive out and the wheels spun a bit before I stopped pressing the gas. Of note each time the wheels were spinning, if I tried to turn the steering wheel I could hear what almost sounded like a pinging noise. It truly did sound like the gears werenā€™t catching for whatever thatā€™s worth given my limited knowledge of auto mechanics. So definitely level with me on here, Iā€™d like to not make the same mistake again. As it is Iā€™m just disinclined to take it to the snow now.

in spite of the problems that seem to occur in the snow only, Iā€™m overall thrilled with the Bronco. As familiar as I am with the saying ā€œfool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on meā€, my husband and I have both agreed that if we were to have to get a new vehicle, it would probably be another Broncoā€¦ā€¦ā€¦šŸ˜¬
Are you talking about the planetary gears being destroyed?

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I don't think I've ever seen someone split a case while still in the rig. If it works it works.

I really don't like using 4A, don't trust it. In the rare instance I want to use Sport I always switch back to 2H.
90k miles more than 95% in 4A sport mode.

"Oh, no! We'll never get it out now!

So certain, are you? Always with you, it cannot be done in 4A. Hear you nothing that I say?

Master, moving Jeeps around is one thing, but this is... totally different!

No! No different! Only different in your transfer case. You must unlearn what you have learned.

All right, I'll give 4A in the Bronco a try.

No! Try not. Do... or do not use 4A in the Bronco. There is no try.

Gearing matters not. Look at my Bronco. Judge my Bronco by my transfer case, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Ford Warranty, and a powerful ally it is. The 4x4ing creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous owners are we, not these crude Jeeps. You must feel the Bronco around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere. Yes. Even between the land and the tires.

You want the impossible. I don't... I don't trust it!

That is why you fail to use 4A."

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Both times it happened she was in 4H, not 4A.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Kickit

Kickit

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Are you talking about the planetary gears being destroyed?
If thatā€™s what it sounds like when the planetary gears are destroyedā€¦ā€¦.then yes

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If thatā€™s what it sounds like when the planetary gears are destroyedā€¦ā€¦.then yes
Sorry ment to reply to
I blew up one of these cases in my old ranger. I work at the dealer so we opened it up. I'll see if i can find the pics.

What happens with these most of the time in snow or ice, is that the tires spin, then abruptly make contact, coming to an abrupt stop and shred the gears like butter. The tech write up will most likely just say internal failure.

Not saying this is what happened to you. That's what I did..... and what most that we see have done.
When you say shredded the gears, are you say the planetary gears shredded or let loose? I've never seen them shred, but have seen them separate. The Teraflex 4:1 units would do that at high RPM. Had a few guys in the local club have that happen & I wasn't going to be next so sold it & in went a 5:1 Atlas šŸ¤ 

NorthShoreBronco

Badlands
First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry ment to reply to
When you say shredded the gears, are you say the planetary gears shredded or let loose? I've never seen them shred, but have seen them separate. The Teraflex 4:1 units would do that at high RPM. Had a few guys in the local club have that happen & I wasn't going to be next so sold it & in went a 5:1 Atlas šŸ¤ 
This is what I call shredded. This was my 19 ranger. same case.

153603411_225016459304106_362415494487953005_n.jpg
Sponsored