Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Chevy S10 Ram 3500
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Industry analysts have pointed out that Ford makes a small but lucrative profit off its' vehicle shipping charges regardless of shipping rail/truck or truck only. Ford will probably make money off the train derailments since they vehicles were insured for somewhere south of MSRP and north of Factory Invoice.
Sponsored

mds5917

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, '21 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Has your imperious leader not implemented any so-called “carbon taxes” yet. It’s essentially a tax on air and up here in Canazuela there’s been no decrease in plant food emissions since our tax went into effect. It’s just another tax to cover apocalyptically-stupid government spending programs.

The only result of our air tax has been rampant inflation on anything requiring fossil fuel consumption - in other words, everything. All our wonderful fruit and produce freighted up to Canada is more expensive…and of course anything shipped by diesel-locomotive trains is also more expensive. All fuel taxes get passed on to the consumer.

Let’s go, Justin. The faster and the farther he goes, the better.
Leave the politics somewhere else. This is about Broncos.

OU812

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Exlporer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Destination charges have a component that is equivalent to the fees on cable and cellphone bills. it’s because they can, and most people won’t question them. Those that question them really can’t do anything about it.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Leave the politics somewhere else. This is about Broncos.
Fair enough, sorry.

But in Canada at least has a significant increase in shipping costs due to the fuel taxes. That comment is on point, as was my legit question on whether a similar tax was implemented in the US which may have impacted shipping costs between the Ranger and the Bronco arrangements.

mds5917

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, '21 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Fair enough, sorry.

But in Canada at least has a significant increase in shipping costs due to the fuel taxes. That comment is on point, as was my legit question on whether a similar tax was implemented in the US which may have impacted shipping costs between the Ranger and the Bronco arrangements.
No worries. I would always assume that fuel prices certainly drive some of this as they are a component part of whatever mode of transportation the subcontractors use to bid on the delivery services for the auto manufacturers (Rail or convoy). There were some early thread complaining (and rightly so, at the time) that the freight was jacked up inexplicably. I am sure that every manufacturer gets the bids, averages out the costs across the expected delivery market, and then makes some judgement about "what the market will bear for a markup, or perhaps is hedging against exactly what we have seen - costs increasing heavily. We have most of this to blame (moving forward) on the same things that have delayed auto production. COVID has impaired the worldwide supply chain, pools of employees, and equipment. It is a bidding war for services out there in many cases, now. Until that levels out, I can't imagine how crazy this could get.

If I were Ford (or any other mfr) I would build out a "Factory Tour and Vehicle Pickup" package that gets sold through your dealer They could probably make more on it, even with margin to the dealers for the loss in PDI. Would let them not be held hostage, financing would be handled (except for sign-off/acceptance) and people would love it. Of course, travel has been impacted too, so who knows. Just glad I shouldn't need to deal with this for a while (have two '21 vehicles now)

Sponsored

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yeah....I was thinking more size as in length (than weight)...as far as how many could fit onto a train and truck.
Ranger is 3 foot longer than the 2 door, and 2 ft longer than the 4-door. Bronco only "looks" big because of the stance, it's roughly the size of a Mustang.

One of the reasons I crossed the Ranger off my list is it's to long to fit in my garage and have enough room to actually get through the door into the house. (It's 210 inches long)

Last edited:

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Fair enough, sorry.

US diesel is taxed at $.11-$.23 per liter depending on the state.

I think Ford's shipping costs are the same from model year '21 to model year '22. Often times, big freight contracts are negotiated for several years. Depending on who owns the fuel cost risk, they may have hedged the costs throughout the contract period.

I'm sure Ford makes some money from 'destination' charges. Just like your dealer doesn't really pay 'invoice'. Ford writes them volume checks and other incentives to push vehicles.
Sponsored