First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
There are few older threads on this topic, but now that we have some more options I though I would ask again - what are considered decent skids for a BB with a plastic bumper under $1k?

The factory ones require some trimming and can be had for under $700
The ARB ones look real good in that price range
RCI also makes stuff in the price range

Plenty of others but they are out of my targetprice range. I only do light wheeling and the intent is to protect the vehicle from me making poor choices for approach lines :D

Thanks
Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The jcr is a nice set and their engine skid goes on regardless of what bumper you have.

Rspayde

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C/O Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I would recommend finding a bumper that you like and then getting skids. Seems pointless to hang on to the plastic bumper then getting skids to fit only to need different skids to fit the bumper you want to buy. I imagine if you need skids you're wheeling enough to bang up that plastic hunk of junk.

But that is just my unsolicited advice so take it or leave it.

If you are just getting skids to make sure you don't damage anything when you go over the parking stop at the mall then disregard all of the above.

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I would recommend finding a bumper that you like and then getting skids. Seems pointless to hang on to the plastic bumper then getting skids to fit only to need different skids to fit the bumper you want to buy. I imagine if you need skids you're wheeling enough to bang up that plastic hunk of junk.

But that is just my unsolicited advice so take it or leave it.

If you are just getting skids to make sure you don't damage anything when you go over the parking stop at the mall then disregard all of the above.
Not necessarily. You can still have a desire to protect the important bits from the occasional rock or root jutting up that could damage the goods... without doing difficult obstacles and slamming your vehicle into shit.

Sponsored

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Not necessarily. You can still have a desire to protect the important bits from the occasional rock or root jutting up that could damage the goods... without doing difficult obstacles and slamming your vehicle into shit.
This ^ I definitely want to add skids to mine, especially a fuel tank skid just for protection/piece of mind. Granted I have been off road once lol, but I heard enough little bumps and thuds underneath that I want some protection.

OP
OP

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have driven a Wrangler with a plastic bumper for 10 years and have only mildly dented it on two occasions in the rear when I wasn't sufficiently carefilt coming off some rocks.

Ike89

Base
First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Tahoe LT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm in the same boat brother. I want to stick with forest roads with the occaional high clearance roads and be able to protect my undercarriage. I'm heavily considering the asfir over the ARB to save weight and they would only be roughly $200 more for that set up.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I vote for a front bumper that allows using it as a makeshift work "table". I'm often clamping boards or metal to the C channel front bumper on my CJ. For sawing, drilling, etc. It's like my outdoor work table. Some of the Bronco bumpers I see are not much use that way.

If my Bronco ever shows up, I'll probably fab a front bumper that has some flat surfaces where clamps or a vise can be attached and used for getting work done.

SpringTXOR

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I recommend the asfir ones, light easy to install. You don't need to remove for an oil change either if you go with an aftermarket drain plug! I have the full set from bumper to tank on mine and love them!

Sponsored

Njchris1968

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford e350 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
I need to find one that works with my aftermarket bumper need to start looking I already trashed my plastic one.

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I've bolted up the factory lower engine skids & transfer case skid to my big bend with zero issue. Also looking for a metal bash plate, as I've rubbed my plastic one quite a bit in the desert.
Sponsored