Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Funny how most posts here are people that are going off the assumption that is the Average MPG. I still an leaning towards it being the CURRENT.. so it doesn't matter what he did, just what he is doing now. And it came across to me that he was driving at 28 mph, low RPMs so not gunning it.. and pull pulling 15.8.

We'll see when the EPA comes out because we know it will be less than that! :)
Sponsored

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

That is 15.8 four wheeling? I got 8 and 10 on 2 previous rigs. Even if it average from Rubicon to driving to Utah and then Moab that is pretty good.

4 L kills gas mileage as it is a much lower range.

That said my Raptor gets 18.1 average, it has 3.5L twin turbo (bronco is 2.7L which get much better MPG) it is heavier by a ton. Wider, taller. Both have same trans. The Raptor has 4.10 gearing and the bronco has 4.70. So that will probably drop the mileage 1-2 mpg, but the smaller size etc should get it 1-2 better. So basically I expect 18 average and around 12-14 4 wheeling.

If it better I'll be happy! :)
Raptor crewcab weighs in at 5525lbs. 4-door bronco 5300lbs. I think your analogy of Raptor mpg vs Bronco mpg will be very close. In town it will suck. high teens on the highway.

Sammy7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Funny how most posts here are people that are going off the assumption that is the Average MPG. I still an leaning towards it being the CURRENT.. so it doesn't matter what he did, just what he is doing now. And it came across to me that he was driving at 28 mph, low RPMs so not gunning it.. and pull pulling 15.8.

We'll see when the EPA comes out because we know it will be less than that! :)
Why would you assume it’s the current MPG when it’s between two fields that reset to zero? It makes more sense to have it reflect MPG since the trip odometer was last reset.

OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Why would you assume it’s the current MPG when it’s between two fields that reset to zero? It makes more sense to have it reflect MPG since the trip odometer was last reset.
2 reasons... one knowing avg is only needed when you put gas in it. While you are driving, Avg does nothing for you but current lets you know how you are doing that moment (like back out of the throttle, etc)

2nd reason is that ^^ showed his F150 dash and "AVG" was right there next to the mileage. In the picture, it's not there. All cars I've had that have that feature do the same... AVG or "blank" for current.

Of course we are all guessing, but just my best guess. Had I though it was Average, I would have never even posted this thread because that would be like "duh" he's been off roading. :)

Sponsored

ohvrider

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The F150 with 2.7L with that jpeg had 3.55 gearing, badlands has 4.70 which is what I plan to get. So it will be less then the F150 because of the lower gears.

LarryZiegler

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The F150 with 2.7L with that jpeg had 3.55 gearing, badlands has 4.70 which is what I plan to get. So it will be less then the F150 because of the lower gears.
The larger tires will negate the effect of the lower gearing to an extent, but the larger tires add extra weight to be pushed.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
With proper gearing it should do fine with the larger tires. There will be more road resistance although I would expect around 20 on the street with the 4 or the 6. Better than my current TJ, which gets around 16 and has a hard time keeping up with traffic with only 180 HP. But it has 31's on it and it came with super small tires from the factory and I think 3:08 gearing.

OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I see and we don't have to agree. I can't speak to Fords. But on my current Mazda, when it says how much until Empty... it is CURRENT not average. How the heck would you Avgerage Miles to Empty anyway?

when I set my cruise control to say 55 mph... my "Miles to Empty" starts to actually go up the longer I drive. So as I'm actually using gas.... I can drive farther...

But it really doesn't matter.... we should be within 4 weeks of the B&P and hopefully the 13th and the 18th will give us some tangible facts. In the meantime, it is all nothing but opinions and we know what that means :p

BroncoJosh

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'96 F150, 2x4, SB, L6, 5spd; '07 Liberty 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm sure someone else caught this, but in the Moab video... the opening shot shows a dash readout that claims the Bronco was getting 15.8 mpg.

I'm guessing it is a Badlands, but it seems to have the wider flairs that are part of SAS.

Just wanted to see what folks think? Like the dissecting begin!

Screenshot_20200809-074027_YouTube.jpg
Forgive me if I missed it, but has anybody pointed out that the physical speedometer on the left is in km/h? It this a Canuck Bronco or something?

Sponsored
OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

apparently not! I think that last line "... is with avg and not instant...." is what was stuck in my head.

Really, I seriously hope I'm wrong because the idea that a vehicle would be produced with such bad mpg (for normal street/highway driving), or that a factory option (like SAS) would do this I find unbelievable.

Once my tires hit the dirt, I don't care what the MPG is.

BunkieDuster69

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 3.6 OB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Assuming they did a full reset and not just the trip odometer, but out west, 60mph avg gets you run over, maybe the were running 75 and idled for 25 minutes..
The trip shows 157mi in 2:44. That's highway driving if I'm reading the numbers right.

It's not the best MPG but I wasn't expecting great numbers with any trim.
Well, my wife wasn’t behind the wheel - avg. mph would have been lower?...
No doubt, these test drivers/ engineers are pushing (longevity testing) those horses to the limit. Reducing potential unforeseen/ recently corrected flaws translates to less bugs arising on active sold Broncos- post commercialization.
No Eco-mode ( that red button on the dash) for these fellas..... Baja mode during Ca to Ut, plus off-road excursions might be resultant of shown 15.8mpg Avg.

121A1EFF-042B-4C02-A9B2-90D0D7D31DFF.jpeg
Sponsored