Sponsored

So what IS the typical Payload for OFF ROAD rigs?

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

A lot of concerns about how much people and cargo weight we'll be able to put in our Broncos. Many have compared it to other non-off road vehicles which is not valid.

I just started looking myself but seems like most SUV styles 4x4s are all pretty low.

Just thought it would be helpful to compare Bronco with similar rigs instead of scrutinizing its number out of context.

(Comparing a Bronco to a Truck is apples to oranges)
Sponsored

SamG

Black Diamond
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Any legit off roader will have soft suspension - therefor low payloads and towing capacity. Trucks with high payloads and towing capacity use leaf springs for rear suspension which is what allows for high weight capacity.
It will likely match the wrangler - as it does everywhere else (minus the front axle)

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

You have a good point. I think the diesel wrangler has restrictions like the four door Bronco will.

OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So doing some quick googling (so it must be accurate right?)

Gladiator Rubicon
Payload Capacity1,200 lbs.

Wrangler Rubicon
Payload Capacity1,280 lbs.

4Runner TRD Pro
Payload Capacity1,550 lbs.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

fwiw

2020 Defender 90, payload capacity 1780 #
2020 Defender 110, payload capacity 2000 #

and my old series 1 land rover discover, payload capacity 1550#

Sponsored

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Unpopular opinion here, they shouldn't even offer a hitch on the Bronco. It screws with departure angles.

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Any legit off roader will have soft suspension - therefor low payloads and towing capacity. Trucks with high payloads and towing capacity use leaf springs for rear suspension which is what allows for high weight capacity.
It will likely match the wrangler - as it does everywhere else (minus the front axle)
So doing some quick googling (so it must be accurate right?)

Gladiator Rubicon
Payload Capacity1,200 lbs.

Wrangler Rubicon
Payload Capacity1,280 lbs.

4Runner TRD Pro
Payload Capacity1,550 lbs.
SamG nails it and that should end the topic.

The payload capacities as listed are the maximum possible for the model, any option weights will have weight taken off those numbers. A fancy 90lb extra stereo? 110lb power seats (over manual ones)? Take off 200lbs. Heavier carpet, another 30lbs, the real info will be on the door sticker. Heavy suspension? You know the drill. The basic Bronco is right around 1200lbs or so (I am sure someone has the number and will correct me).

OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The basic Bronco is right around 1200lbs or so (I am sure someone has the number and will correct me).
I've been trying to follow the other GVWR threads and that is was made me start this one. I wanted actual numbers between competitors and not pages and pages of blah.

From what I gathered, seems like the Bronco was <900... pics showed at least 1 bronco with a 817 sticker I think.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ā€˜05 LJ & ā€˜17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've never looked at what my 05 LJ Wrangler GVWR was until just now. Apparently the GVWR is 4600 and my rig weighs 4460 with all the mods Ive done (turbo, fenders, bumpers, 5 35" MT tires, aftermarket wheels, winch, aluminum skid plates, aluminum control arms, adj trackbars, antilock swaybars, lockers, HD brakes, manual hub kit, storage box in rear and more), so the payload is technically only 140lbs lol. Ive never had an issue in 7yrs and the suspension hasn't sagged one bit.

Wife's GC trailhawk that gets wheeled hard offroad on moderate - difficult trails has a payload of 1500.

AZHUND

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500 5.7L 4x4, 2018 Wrangler S 3.6L
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Last time I did the math I think my JLU sport was a little under 1300 lbs. which Is high as it doesnā€™t have that much ā€œluxury ā€œ stuff and is a soft top. When I saw that it amused me how close it is to my full size truck (but my truck on the other hand is a 4x4 5.7L crew cab with all kinds of gizmos). Thankfully both have plenty for my use case (including towing a small trailer, two adults, two dogs and still have capacity for beer).
Sponsored