Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Had mine for a week so far so good. Pretty much agree with the other posters.

Has been much better in the cold than I expected. It was -4 this morning when I left for work, within ten minutes was nice and comfy inside.
Sponsored

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Not at all, just like every other soft-top car out there, car washes are fine.
The manual says don't take it through a car wash but hey whatever works.

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The plastic windows scratch really, really easy. And even if you are cautious, it is possible to scratch the paint on the metal frame while raising or lowering the soft top. But these things and their work arounds have been discussed extensively by others. Surprisingly the sound levels have never bothered me. Although it is not the best top around, it is fine if properly used and cared for.

Snydermann

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samurai, VW Thing, MINI, smart, Astro Van
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I wouldn't trust the detergents in an automatic car wash on any soft top I've owned and I've owned at least 20 since 1982. I currently own 3.

The killer of tops is UV, garage it, cover it, or use a top protectant. Should hold up okay, but it's definitely a wear item.

Sponsored

Firefight911

Wildtrak
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 4-door Wildtrak, Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The manual says don't take it through a car wash but hey whatever works.
True, as in the old school hitting brushes type. Touchless is just fine. I should have clarified in my post. I go to a full-service car wash every once in a while that operates in a more car-friendly attitude. Definitely, never go through one of the gas station types or old-school versions.

Attachments

HeliPilot

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.7L SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wouldn't trust the detergents in an automatic car wash on any soft top I've owned and I've owned at least 20 since 1982. I currently own 3.

The killer of tops is UV, garage it, cover it, or use a top protectant. Should hold up okay, but it's definitely a wear item.
You would if you lived in an apartment with no outdoor wash rack. Only touchless though

Snydermann

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You would if you lived in an apartment with no outdoor wash rack. Only touchless though
I lived in a condo for 8 years at which time I had my VW Thing and a VW Cabriolet (white top). I used a self-serve car wash and brought my own bucket, soap, and brush.

I replaced the top myself on the Cabriolet when I bought it (cheap, cause it needed a top). Really, the only thing wrong with it was all the stitching had rotted out of it. Previous owner only used automatic washes, and it was garaged. So what rotted the thread?

My wife has a 2015 smart convertible, garaged, top has never seen soap, just water and a soft brush and top protectant when new. It's now 7 years old and the top is still mint.

Last edited:

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
True, as in the old school hitting brushes type. Touchless is just fine. I should have clarified in my post. I go to a full-service car wash every once in a while that operates in a more car-friendly attitude. Definitely, never go through one of the gas station types or old-school versions.
That's fair. We've got Moo Moo Car Wash in Central Ohio and that's not "touchless" they still hit the vehicle with the big blue chamois monsters but that isn't my main concern.

It's the high pressure nozzles to rinse and 300 mph blowers they use to dry the thing.

HeliPilot

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.7L SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I lived in a condo for 8 years at which time I had my VW Thing and a VW Cabriolet (white top). I used a self-serve car wash and brought my own bucket, soap, and brush.

I replaced the top myself on the Cabriolet when I bought it (cheap, cause it needed a top). Really, the only thing wrong with it was all the stitching had rotted out of it. Previous owner only used automatic washes, and it was garaged. So what rotted the thread?

My wife has a 2015 smart convertible, garaged, top has never seen soap, just water and a soft brush and top protectant when new. It's now 7 years old and the top is still mint.
Totally not getting away with that here. The road salt from the snow and ice prep, make it necessary to run mine though every couple of days just to wash the salt off the plastic windows so that I can see. And at 20 degree's, I'm not spraying it myself with a bucket and brush. Not to mention how valuable getting the underbody sprayed is for the same concerns. I pay by the month for unlimited washes.

Sponsored

Firefight911

Wildtrak
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 4-door Wildtrak, Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

That's fair. We've got Moo Moo Car Wash in Central Ohio and that's not "touchless" they still hit the vehicle with the big blue chamois monsters but that isn't my main concern.

It's the high pressure nozzles to rinse and 300 mph blowers they use to dry the thing.
True. I always laugh after going to the car wash as the top streams water down with the lack of top drying after emerging on the other side.

Snydermann

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Totally not getting away with that here. The road salt from the snow and ice prep, make it necessary to run mine though every couple of days just to wash the salt off the plastic windows so that I can see. And at 20 degree's, I'm not spraying it myself with a bucket and brush.
Fair enough. Just relating my experiences. Maybe it will help someone reading the thread.

HeliPilot

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.7L SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Fair enough. Just relating my experiences. Maybe it will help someone reading the thread.
Don't get me wrong, I agree with everything you've said. I've had convertibles for past 20 years. And I've always hand washed every single one of them. But, recent move to CT prevents/discourages me from doing so here because of the conditions the bronco is being operated in.

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's an important point, IMO, to add. The noise is certainly more than a true tin can car/truck/SUV but no where near what I had anticipated. Use of the phone and having a conversation is lacking in any drama. Normal voice is fine, even with the top all the way down. I have only received some complaint while driving with top all the way down and windows down. Fix was to raise the windows during the conversation.
Soft top down, windows up is not too loud, and honestly not as windy as I thought it would be at highway speed. Very enjoyable.

Soft top down, windows down is like sticking your head into a wind tunnel.
Sponsored