First Name
Joe
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former Broncos - 76, 93, 95
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

All, instead of arguing, please see my signature 😎

For the record, I'm 95% mall crawler and carry a 4-way, plugs, and plug-in compressor along with an OE spare. Because that tow truck never shows up in '45 mins' and the gas station air machine is typically broken. I hate having to rely on others.

Egads when are we finally going to get the :rolleyes: reaction emoji so I don't actually have to type out how tiresome threads like this are ...
And a puking or sick emoji, from your mouth to 'Doug's' ears 👍hell, I only use the heart emoji on the dog thread :ROFLMAO:

weapon's grade taintwaffle
I apologize for not giving you your award for winning the interwebz the day you posted that & I'm totally stealing the phrase 😄 Your belated award Sir 👏 .... you said 'taintwaffle' & weapons grade at that 🤣

Advertisement

JAGSarge

Outer Banks
Staff member
First Name
Joe
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former Broncos - 76, 93, 95
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

tenor.gif

dangerzone79

Wildtrak
First Name
O- -O
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Cone of Shame
Clubs

Touchy subject but I'm still sold on the look of the spare tire delete. I'll keep it inside on my off-road jaunts & long drives.

Rear Tire Delete.JPG

deejaybee

Base
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Dodge Challenger
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

If you look at photos, the weird part of that is the center rear tail light. It’s on a “stalk” so it can be visible with the rear tire mounted. Without that tire it will probably look very odd and I’m not certain it’s easy to remove.
And the rear backup camera is built in to the spare tire hanger

NVCowboy

Black Diamond
First Name
William
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2019 Explorer (Bronco Starter Kit),
I know this was brought up pretty early on, but is it too late to talk about deleting the appendage in favor of a swing out rack for carrying a spare, jack, and traditional Jerry Can? I also want a vinyl spare cover with the horse like the Gen 2 - 5 Broncos used to run. I’m very happy G6 looked to the original for styling, but The half ton variants need love, too.

lowmpg

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Just un-bolt it ;)

Ascetically it will look bad IMHO. Probably weighs a little over 100lbs (tire/rim) then whatever the assembly weighs..so figure changing the weight distribution by around 200lbs (not like that means too much). Remember also the backup camera is in that assembly.

Hkak45

First Name
K
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 F150 Off Road
Clubs

Serious question for those that are worried about the rear camera. If you remove the spare tire, that will give you better visibility out the rear window so what is the need for the rear camera then? Just Look out the rear window and use your mirrors when reversing😂 I say that as someone who doesn’t have a rear camera in my trail truck that is lifted 6inches with 35’s. Just remember a rear camera is not needed as we got around fine without it for over 100 years so I wouldn’t worry too much about taking out that camera (Full disclosure I am NOT taking my spare off the back just wanted to give another point of view)

Hoofnmouth

Base
First Name
mark
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Clubs

I haven't had a flat in twenty years
About a month ago i could have said the same but then 3 flats one in the focus st at midnight hit a muffler u bolt,gf got a big lag bolt on freeway,and in the tundra i backed up to a curb that had a section cut out of the concrete and it tore my sidewall.
I think the no spare tire is not a good idea for me but i can see you wanting to make your rig look different,stuck on the side of a freeway is a really dangerous place to be especially at night.
If you do the rear tire delete for sure carry fix a flat and a compressor ,and a plug kit .

Markubis

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus, Hyundai Santa Fe, Can Am Ryker
Just un-bolt it ;)

Ascetically it will look bad IMHO. Probably weighs a little over 100lbs (tire/rim) then whatever the assembly weighs..so figure changing the weight distribution by around 200lbs (not like that means too much). Remember also the backup camera is in that assembly.
The 2.7L weighs around 400 lbs so removing 200 lbs off the back might change the driving characteristics of your Bronco.
Just removing it from the door and placing it inside will change it also due to the weight now being over the rear tires instead of over-hanging (physics laws still apply to Broncos)

Used2jeep

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Clubs

If you look at photos, the weird part of that is the center rear tail light. It’s on a “stalk” so it can be visible with the rear tire mounted. Without that tire it will probably look very odd and I’m not certain it’s easy to remove.
Or legal.

kimmnen

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit Connect
You have it wrong, when you remove the spare it protects the entire Bronco from getting dirty, nano technology.
Remove the spare and you most likely will not go anywhere you might get it dirty. Maybe the Bronco Sport is the spare tire solution.

Hkak45

First Name
K
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 F150 Off Road
Clubs

But if you drive around in reverse without the tire it turns into a Unicorn
24B7CEB7-7304-4EB2-9D48-0386956D9488.jpeg

Johnny Mo

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Energi, Ducati XDiavel
Vehicle Showcase
I think fix a flat is a good option. My last car just came with a compressor and a fix a flat can - I would be happy with a spare tire delete. Then the option to mount when going off trading or somewhere where the flatbed can't get you. I am sure someone can come up with a replacement brake light mount.
Fix a flat is NOT a good option. I have a Fusion and it came with the Ford/Motorcraft fix a flat included with the compressor for the vehicle. It ruins the tire pressure monitor and then requires that to be replaced at $75-100 per. Ford provided it and it causes a part to fail and it doesnt get covered by warranty. Just like the crappy 2 piece lugnuts they used that expand over time and then dirt builds up to the point that your lug wrench won't fit anymore.

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mitsubishi Lancer
Clubs

I've had too many flats to risk running without a spare. Once on a road trip home from AZ to MN, flat in CO. Could not find anywhere that had my tire in stock.

Advertisement

Advertisement