Sponsored

Speedometer correction with tuner / programmer?

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I use an SCT X4 tuner with a 93 Octane Performance tune from 5startuning.com for my 3.5 Ecoboost. The SCT X4 tuner can change a ton of things through the OBD port. You can calibrate the speedo, tire size, account for bolt-on upgrades (though you really should send these types of upgrades to your tuner so they can account for it when they are designing your custom tune), plus a ton more. You're still looking at $400 though for the programmer. Like Zack said, you can go to a dealership and they can recalibrate the speedo for you for probably $75 max (I would hope anyway).
I have this same tuner and like it, except it is large and hand held so hard to leave connected if you need on the road data. I am hoping 5star can just email me the Bronco tune to upload to it in addition to my current vehicle, it can hold several tunes.
Sponsored

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

drive21bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

A Ford dealer will be able to set the correct speedometer via their Ford Scan tool. I think in the Scan tool there are pre set tire sizes, usually all the tire sizes available for that particular vehicle. This may have changed in recent years, I know this was the case a few years back.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Remind me never to buy one of your "low mileage" used cars. :LOL:
Only 1 in 3 of my cars has a functioning speedo, odometer, fuel, voltage or temp gauge.
Both the cars without those functioning gauges have nice tool kits in the trunk for roadside repairs.

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

After looking...they updated the part nbd but I did notice it won’t support a SAS package tire. Does this mean you can’t use the FPT and would have to go aftermarket?
That's for the Ranger, and the Sasquatch Bronco isn't even for sale yet...

I'm sure Ford will update.

bloominguez

Black Diamond
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Br BD, '22 5BW, '95 Integra, '94 VFR, '04 SV
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yikes, that's $450. May as well buy a performance tune if that was the case! Thank you for the reply. So no matter what it'll be expensive to recalibrate?
If only there was a forum on which you could reach out and ask to borrow the calibration tool from someone reasonably close to you... ;)

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My understanding is that with speed sensors on the hub instead of rotating mass, that modern cars are self-correcting ECU's now. There are too many other metrics that rely on vehicle speed such as stability control to have to manually adjust them anymore.

You kids and your fancy OBDI! I have to have speedo gears made for the transmission housing to get my classics adjusted for different wheel sizes. (Ultimately that being a waste of time, I just eyeball it or disconnect the speedo entirely)
I used to pull the gear, count teeth, calculate and head to the parts depo to see how close I could get.

2022 base

Base
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Chevy, 2004 Cooper S
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thank you @ZackDange and others. I was going to be surprised if it was more than $100-$150 as I bought a primitive speed calibrator for my 2000 Mustang that worked well for $150-$200 and that was 20 years ago.

Cars have changed a lot over the past 20 years. I feel old saying that but it's true.
I found this on the web....
Hypertech 730125 In-Line Speedometer Calibrator
Sponsored