First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Our Badlands Sasquatch has been a real joy but we have a gremlin in it our Ford dealership says they can’t find or recreate.

We have had our Bronco for about 4 months and it has a little over 4000 miles on it.

One morning (about 3 weeks old) I started it and got “Hill Assist Fault”. After acknowledging it, the fault cleared and it drove fine. The very next week the same thing happened.

Fast forward about a month and we were waiting to turn right into a busy road. When a spot opened we started forward but suddenly the accelerator didn’t work. I pressed it all the way to the floor but no response. As traffic was bearing down, I lifted completely and then reapplied throttle. It behaved as expected and accelerated away. Four days later the exact same thing happened.

Moving forward to this week, my wife was driving around a traffic circle at 35 mph and the engine turned off all the sudden. The display was flashing the auto start symbol and said “put the vehicle in park to restart”. We are fortunate she was not going down the highway with no place to stop. That could have been fatal. My wife snapped a photo of the screen after it rolled to a stop (attached).

The first deal with the Hill Assist did drop fault codes but they did not contain any diagnostic information, per our dealer. Everything else - including it switching off while driving - did not produce a fault or code.

The dealership just called me and said after 4 days they found no loose grounds or wires and could not recreate a fault. If they can’t reproduce it, there is nothing more they can do.

At one level I understand the response but, even though we love it, it is not safe to drive. There is something wrong in the electrical system. It is a very dangerous intermittent problem that could be in a harness or connector that would require massive disassembly to locate.

Not sure how to proceed. Thoughts?

Thanks for any feedback.

-MM

871301E8-0C16-4699-94FC-AAB193B87E3E.jpeg
Sponsored

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Did you/dealer check to see if the fuse box bolts were tight?

OP
OP
MikeM

MikeM

Raptor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Yes they checked those and all external frame grounds.

Sponsored
OP
OP
MikeM

MikeM

Raptor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Did you/dealer check to see if the fuse box bolts were tight?

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Darn, was hoping it could be a possible easy solution...

OP
OP
MikeM

MikeM

Raptor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Our Badlands Sasquatch has been a real joy but we have a gremlin in it our Ford dealership says they can’t find or recreate.

We have had our Bronco for about 4 months and it has a little over 4000 miles on it.

One morning (about 3 weeks old) I started it and got “Hill Assist Fault”. After acknowledging it, the fault cleared and it drove fine. The very next week the same thing happened.

Fast forward about a month and we were waiting to turn right into a busy road. When a spot opened we started forward but suddenly the accelerator didn’t work. I pressed it all the way to the floor but no response. As traffic was bearing down, I lifted completely and then reapplied throttle. It behaved as expected and accelerated away. Four days later the exact same thing happened.

Moving forward to this week, my wife was driving around a traffic circle at 35 mph and the engine turned off all the sudden. The display was flashing the auto start symbol and said “put the vehicle in park to restart”. We are fortunate she was not going down the highway with no place to stop. That could have been fatal. My wife snapped a photo of the screen after it rolled to a stop (attached).

The first deal with the Hill Assist did drop fault codes but they did not contain any diagnostic information, per our dealer. Everything else - including it switching off while driving - did not produce a fault or code.

The dealership just called me and said after 4 days they found no loose grounds or wires and could not recreate a fault. If they can’t reproduce it, there is nothing more they can do.

At one level I understand the response but, even though we love it, it is not safe to drive. There is something wrong in the electrical system. It is a very dangerous intermittent problem that could be in a harness or connector that would require massive disassembly to locate.

Not sure how to proceed. Thoughts?

Thanks for any feedback.

-MM
Hey there. I would like to take a closer look at these issues you've been experiencing with your Bronco. Can you please send over a private message with your VIN and the name/location of your local Ford dealer to get started?

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Make sure that the wiring harness near where the driveshaft enters the transmission is not rubbing on the drive shaft.

Sponsored
OP
OP
MikeM

MikeM

Raptor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Make sure that the wiring harness near where the driveshaft enters the transmission is not rubbing on the drive shaft.
Thank you, will check that closely myself.

OP
OP
MikeM

MikeM

Raptor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Hey there. I would like to take a closer look at these issues you've been experiencing with your Bronco. Can you please send over a private message with your VIN and the name/location of your local Ford dealer to get started?
Thank you and the information has been sent.

OP
OP
MikeM

MikeM

Raptor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
In the past there has been a known problem with the wire harness connector behind the passenger side kick panel. In some cases the factory tie-down prevents the connector from being fully mated together, causing all kinds of weird electrical malfunctions
Excellent information and I will check that too. Really appreciate the advice.

kiya

Badlands
First Name
Kiya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Macan S, Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, & Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Our 2.7l Badlands is having these identical problems. Reached out to the Ford rep here but they said they can't help us due to us being in Mexico.
Literally the identical issues as you including the same error (hill assist, etc..).
Dealer says they can't find anything but it just doesn't seem safe driving the car, and it's only got 400 miles on it.

OP
OP
MikeM

MikeM

Raptor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Our 2.7l Badlands is having these identical problems. Reached out to the Ford rep here but they said they can't help us due to us being in Mexico.
Literally the identical issues as you including the same error (hill assist, etc..).
Dealer says they can't find anything but it just doesn't seem safe driving the car, and it's only got 400 miles on it.
I found out about an hour ago that our vehicle did show engine control module faults for at least 2 of the items. Apparently on October 17 software was released to address an issue there. Our vehicle downloaded it on the 17th but the last problem- turning off - happened 3 days after that on the 20th. The other forum members have made suggestions which I will follow up on. If I find something that could be the cause, I will message here and DM you direct. I hope you get a resolution soon.
Sponsored

Last edited: