First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Anybody else have the issue where, while driving in sport mode, and coasting down a hill, the car automatically downshifts?

this happens every time. Which makes me think it's not a flaw. Ill be going 40-50 and it suddenly downshifts. The RPMs will ramp way up into the 4-5k range.

Almost acts like a brake. Like its supposed to slow the vehicle down? But why the F would that be part of the standard behavior? It drives me crazy.
Sponsored

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've noticed that in normal mode as well though not often. I've ran sport mode only a short bit. I was like why is this engine braking without my intentionally putting it in manual and selecting a gear that would cause engine braking. I have NEVER had an automatic transmission do this, always the trans would let it coast unhindered to get the best fuel economy.

My only guess is that somehow they decided to have it do this to automatically do those completely ignorant don't overheat their brakes.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This is a good thing. Don't worry, b happy. :) and if you find it too aggressive shift to normal mode.

I actually don't like sport mode, except going downhill on curvy mountain roads.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3063

But why the F would that be part of the standard behavior? It drives me crazy.
I've noticed that sport mode in various Fords do downshift more readily but assumed it was to keep the turbo spooled for sporty throttle response, no turbo lag.
Go into a corner and it downshifts so it's in the right gear to blast out the other side.
So I suppose it is "standard" behavior for sport mode.

Sponsored

George Ellis

Badlands
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-350 DRW CC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Being sporty with a manual, that is what I would do. Normal.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

This thread makes me laugh 🤣 like some folks have never driven a stick shift, a truck or a high performance vehicle....? The only flaw here is the driver!!!
The sluicebox your used to is too responsive in Sport mode? Predicts your needed downshifts for you and keeps turbo spooled for the "sporty" mode you've just selected??? Seriously though, OP must have come from a previous turd of a car? The new Ford autos are FANTASTIC and multiple modes to match your driving style.are awesome! Can't handle sport mode, then don't select it🤪...try Baja mode in 2wd for an even more aggressive feeling. 😆 Oh wait, mine downshifts so hard it barks the tires!!! Hahaha love doing that next to the scoobaroos in traffic along with a loud BOV and straight pipe... The look on the soyboys faces is priceless.

Last edited:

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Land Rovers do this also. (Most recent Rovers were designed and develooed when owned by Ford)

It is a good thing, don't reject it. Next you'll complain that the smart cruise control prevents you from riding some yahoo's bumper ( which is also good and convenient when traveling through work zones with zero feet on the pedals)

OP
OP
John Whammer

John Whammer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This thread makes me laugh 🤣 like some folks have never driven a stick shift, a truck or a high performance vehicle....? The sluicebox your used to is too responsive in Sport mode? Predicts you needed downshifts for you and keeps turbo spoiled for the "sporty" mode you've just selected??? Seriously must have come from a previous turd of a car? The new Ford autos are FANTASTIC and multiple mode to match your drive in ng style. Can't handle sport mode, then don't select it...try Baja mode in 2wd for an even more aggressive feeling. 😆 Oh wait, mine downshifts so hard it barks the tires!!! Hahaha love doing that next to the scoobaroos in traffic along with a load BOV. The look on the soyboys faces is priceless.
LOL!! So douchey!!
These guys … make me smh and just laugh.

Can’t handle sport mode? Huh?
Soyboy? Really, big-guy?
🙄

do you roll coal bro? You dont eat soy, or quiche either right? because you are a real man?
LOL!!
Tell us more!!! PLEASE!!!
We are so impressed!!!
Fuckin LOL!!!

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

LOL!! So douchey!!
These guys … make me smh and just laugh.

Can’t handle sport mode? Huh?
Soyboy? Really, big-guy?
🙄

do you roll coal bro? You dont eat soy, or quiche either right? because you are a real man?
LOL!!
I actually do prefer beef over soy....and think a better air conditioner will fix global warming too. If I could delete ECO mode it would already be done....im guessing that one's yer favorite?

Again this is just funny to complain about sport mode being "flawed" because it's too sporty. Go watch a ken block video and then maybe youll get it.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
It's supposed to do that. If you take your foot off the gas, then it's supposed to downshift to engine brake.

Sport mode will downshift more aggressively than normal.
Sponsored