Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We shall see. Remember starters in vehicles with start/stop are not your past starters. They are fairly new designs of permanent magnet motors with higher temperatures and higher current capacity than past starters. Also starting a warm engine is much easier than starting a cold engine. If it meets the needs that Ford needs to warranty it, I think it is just fine. Again, we'll see.
True, im just more I didnt ask for it, I would have said no to be it and short of finding the right shit to pull to permanently disable it and possibly cause a CEL, Ill stick to plugs and FORScan
Sponsored

bradcd

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saab 9-3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I also have a 7MT with installed A.S.S. Eliminator. Purchased from Stickerfab for $100. Easy install and fully worth it.

KGRoberts

Badlands
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Chevelle
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Initially I was concerned that the auto-S/S would be difficult confusing and worrisome at a light....would it start quick enough to not cause me problems on the street...? In pretty quick order (a month) I learned that I didn't have to worry at all. Just drive like I usually drive and the Bronco will handle itself. I barely even notice anymore.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Initially I was concerned that the auto-S/S would be difficult confusing and worrisome at a light....would it start quick enough to not cause me problems on the street...? In pretty quick order (a month) I learned that I didn't have to worry at all. Just drive like I usually drive and the Bronco will handle itself. I barely even notice anymore.

Same thing, I've just grown used to it.

Actually, when it doesn't shut off it catches my attention now.

Also, not really that concerned about a starter that was designed for the "start in gear" process.
This isn't daddy's 1972 T-Bird with the 100k mile or 4 years max. life span.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
And you’re killing the starter as you allow it to turn off and on, all for a single Mpg
Most real world tests show zero fuel savings. But, the Starter is actually sized for repeated start/stopping. It's murder on your battery though.

Super annoying here in AZ. Come to a stop light, A/C turns off... stupid... forgot to hit the button grrr.

Sponsored

TheRealCobraBurnout

Black Diamond
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
A.S.S. Plug.

I installed it the second day of ownership, worth every penny
Thank you for this link! I just watched the vid and I'm adding this to my want list if my Bronco ever gets built. I like that it simply keeps a memory of what you select (either on or off). More like a "toggle" switch that doesn't reset when you turn the ignition off. Perfect.

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you for this link! I just watched the vid and I'm adding this to my want list if my Bronco ever gets built. I like that it simply keeps a memory of what you select (either on or off). More like a "toggle" switch that doesn't reset when you turn the ignition off. Perfect.
just be aware that under 30 degrees, as the girl warms up, it might cycle through on and off.

other than that, its flawless

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Most real world tests show zero fuel savings. But, the Starter is actually sized for repeated start/stopping. It's murder on your battery though.

Super annoying here in AZ. Come to a stop light, A/C turns off... stupid... forgot to hit the button grrr.
Why I disabled mine, period

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Here is some tech on this subject, a study performed by the Argonne National Laboratory on Stop and Restart Effects on Modern Vehicle Starting System Components.
https://publications.anl.gov/anlpubs/2015/05/115925.pdf

According to information gathered from technical experts consulted for this report, starter motors are designed to last for over 30,0000 cycles (estimated to correspond to 10 years or 100,000 miles of use). The upper bound of starter life was estimated to be approximately 60,000 cycles' most starters will experience failure before this point. The most common reasons for failure include excessive brush wear, armature bearing failure, and pinion gear wear, armature bearing failure, and pinion gear wear.​

bradcd

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saab 9-3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here is some tech on this subject, a study performed by the Argonne National Laboratory on Stop and Restart Effects on Modern Vehicle Starting System Components.
https://publications.anl.gov/anlpubs/2015/05/115925.pdf

According to information gathered from technical experts consulted for this report, starter motors are designed to last for over 30,0000 cycles (estimated to correspond to 10 years or 100,000 miles of use). The upper bound of starter life was estimated to be approximately 60,000 cycles' most starters will experience failure before this point. The most common reasons for failure include excessive brush wear, armature bearing failure, and pinion gear wear, armature bearing failure, and pinion gear wear.​
I learned recently that as battery tech has continually improved there are now specific spec for systems with auto start/stop. So the whole thought process going into the design of these systems is more complex than an old conventional starter and battery combo cycling all day. Still, having an Eliminator installed has to prolong the life of these batteries further, right?

duracell.JPG

Sponsored

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
I learned recently that as battery tech has continually improved there are now specific spec for systems with auto start/stop. So the whole thought process going into the design of these systems is more complex than an old conventional starter and battery combo cycling all day. Still, having an Eliminator installed has to prolong the life of these batteries further, right?
The purpose of the battery changes is to provide a larger reserve capacity to power things like electric fans, heater modules, and other various systems while the engine is shut off. I'm not an expert in battery chemistry so I can't speak to the expected life of the battery and how it may be impacted by changes in use. Start Stop has been around now since 2014.

I'm not worried about it myself. I think if I had the auto I would be more interested in the disabling because on every automatic vehicle with start-stop I have used, I catch it still starting often when say a light turns green from red. With the manual transmission, it only does it if I let out the clutch in neutral, and it's running by the time I'm moving the shift lever into gear. So I'm fine with it.

Sitruc_btb

Badlands
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was surprised how fast the engine starts afterwards. Clutch goes in and bam. Ford's system is pretty awesome, compared to the make/models I work on for a living. That idle stop system is finicky at best. I was worried at first, but the idle stop is seamless to me.
Sponsored