First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Correct, and nre (Non recurring engineering) matters. I do not have the time or willingness to do this myself and test it, let alone market it. $400 is cheaper than tie rods and imo this serves a much better purpose than beefier tie rods.
Knowing how to do what you indicated does not mean it's not worth what he is charging, most people have either the brain power or time.
Like I said, you do you.. I'm hoping for a fix that works long term AND doesn't involve paying more than 300x markup for a piece of plastic with zero engineering time involved. I'm just kind of crazy like that. ;)
Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah it's a tough call. If you were in his shoes and spent a bunch of R&D time and money, you'd want to make your money back. However as a fellow Bronco person, who knows what all of us have been going through and how everything has a Bronco ADM, you'd think he'd be a little more reasonable. I mean hell, did he ever even offer a group buy for this forum?

It kind of reminds me of football players and how overpaid they are. You have a limited time... And threads like the HOSS 3 prove it.

There's going to be a point when Ford probably puts the bigger rack in all their Broncos and get rid of the POS that's in there now. In the meantime, we have the HOSS 3 rack cracked and can be had cheaper. And of course Ford performance keeps saying they're going to release something.

At that point, his well would have run dry.

spaceman666

Black Diamond
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Explorer, 1998 Cobra, 2006 H3
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hi guys!

So, I was running a 9 rated trail yesterday and had a very curious issue that I have not experienced prior with any vehicle and I'm not quite sure where to even go for help. This issue hasn't popped up on rutted roads or in washes etc. Only when I start crawling on rocks does the steering become unresponsive. Yesterday was the worst.

My steering would get so tight as to not be able to move the wheels at all without forward motion - even the tire in contact with the ground was on a somewhat slippery surface. As you can see from the photos below, the surface is very loose/sandy and even the rocks are crumbly. I would not expect very much steering resistance, even on 37s.

No grinding noises, no slipping feel.. nothing. Just an incredibly tight steering wheel. It almost feels like you would expect if you were trying to turn your wheel with some type of object in the way, stopping the wheel from turning. Once I'm back on flat ground, the steering feels just like the day I got it.

My only guess is I'm binding up the steering rack some how, but the only issue I was aware of with the Bronco steering is when the rack/pinion separate and teeth get damaged. Nothing like that has happened, and my steering wheel is still dead center (I would expect it to be crooked if the rack/pinion slipped.

Could it be the camber? I know camber plays a roll in steering. I do believe my camber may be a little positive right now..

My relevant rig setup is as follows:

2021 Badlands Sasquatch w/2.7
37x17x12.5 Yokohama Geolandar MT 003
Factory wheels with 1.5" spacers to clear UCA's
Icon Dynamics Adjustable Coil Overs
Icon Dynamics Billet UCA
.75" bump stop spacers installed front and back to limit rubbing with 37s
JKS Max Clearance Kit
JKS Tie Rod Braces

Lots more mods, but I think those are the only that matter for this conversation. Steering is still factory other than tie-rod braces being installed. Photo 3 shows the problem the best - you can see both front tires are on pretty slippery surfaces (the entire obstacle challenge is to get through without slipping and smashing your entire vehicle body into that car sized boulder)

So... any ideas? Anyone else have this issue?

1669682502536.png

1669682706765.png

1669685134859.png

This last shot is just a really nice photo from the same trip..

1669684311532.png
What light kit is that? The 5 Raptor style ones.

OP
OP
Theherofails

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah it's a tough call. If you were in his shoes and spent a bunch of R&D time and money, you'd want to make your money back. However as a fellow Bronco person, who knows what all of us have been going through and how everything has a Bronco ADM, you'd think he'd be a little more reasonable. I mean hell, did he ever even offer a group buy for this forum?

It kind of reminds me of football players and how overpaid they are. You have a limited time... And threads like the HOSS 3 prove it.

There's going to be a point when Ford probably puts the bigger rack in all their Broncos and get rid of the POS that's in there now. In the meantime, we have the HOSS 3 rack cracked and can be had cheaper. And of course Ford performance keeps saying they're going to release something.

At that point, his well would have run dry.
I don't begrudge the guy at all. Most people don't have the time or skill to design this part, even if it is rather basic. If he can sell it all day at $350, its worth $350. It's just not worth $350 to me, and I have to laugh out loud every time someone tries to justify spending that much on a piece of Delrin. Grade 2 titanium would be cheaper! Of course, it'll chew your steering rack to pieces.. trade offs I guess. :ROFLMAO:

My steering still works perfect for regular driving and off-roading at about the 7 and below level. I'll just avoid the big rocks until I find a good bulletproof solution - ideally a third party rack designed to take a bit more abuse, but I think I'll be waiting a minute or two for that.

OP
OP
Theherofails

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What light kit is that? The 5 Raptor style ones.
https://www.amazon.com/LED-Grille-L...pY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

High quality, easy install. Just pay attention to the writing on the back of each light module to make sure you put it where it goes. They'll say "left outer" "left inner" etc. Something like that anyways.

I like the 5 lights much better than the 3, and it stands out a bit from all of the other vehicles with width markers.

In my case, I went widebody (I'm something like 84-85" wide now) so for liability, I needed some markers.

Sponsored

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not sure if someone has suggested this already, but next time this happens, turn the Bronco off and back on again. If the steering magically starts working again, it's the motor throwing in the towel.

Alot of people called BB's stuff snake oil. I'm just sitting back to enjoy the show:ROFLMAO:

spaceman666

Black Diamond
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Explorer, 1998 Cobra, 2006 H3
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
https://www.amazon.com/LED-Grille-Lights-Accessories-Easy-Installation/dp/B0B8RXFJWN/ref=sr_1_22_sspa?crid=2H6ZHTWMJEBF0&keywords=bronco+grille+light+5+pieces&qid=1670177900&sprefix=bronco+grille+light+5+piece,aps,124&sr=8-22-spons&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.fa474cd8-6dfc-4bad-a280-890f5a4e2f90&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExTFJNRTQ4SDEyWDlPJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTI0ODE5M0gyTjRFSlhQWjcwQiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMTgzNjkyMVc3NkgyRVkwU0JURyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX210ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

High quality, easy install. Just pay attention to the writing on the back of each light module to make sure you put it where it goes. They'll say "left outer" "left inner" etc. Something like that anyways.

I like the 5 lights much better than the 3, and it stands out a bit from all of the other vehicles with width markers.

In my case, I went widebody (I'm something like 84-85" wide now) so for liability, I needed some markers.
Thanks! I do like the 5 style a whole lot better, I also don't want to be trying to look like a Raptor clone haha

MaxtheMonster

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hi guys!

So, I was running a 9 rated trail yesterday and had a very curious issue that I have not experienced prior with any vehicle and I'm not quite sure where to even go for help. This issue hasn't popped up on rutted roads or in washes etc. Only when I start crawling on rocks does the steering become unresponsive. Yesterday was the worst.

My steering would get so tight as to not be able to move the wheels at all without forward motion - even the tire in contact with the ground was on a somewhat slippery surface. As you can see from the photos below, the surface is very loose/sandy and even the rocks are crumbly. I would not expect very much steering resistance, even on 37s.

No grinding noises, no slipping feel.. nothing. Just an incredibly tight steering wheel. It almost feels like you would expect if you were trying to turn your wheel with some type of object in the way, stopping the wheel from turning. Once I'm back on flat ground, the steering feels just like the day I got it.

My only guess is I'm binding up the steering rack some how, but the only issue I was aware of with the Bronco steering is when the rack/pinion separate and teeth get damaged. Nothing like that has happened, and my steering wheel is still dead center (I would expect it to be crooked if the rack/pinion slipped.

Could it be the camber? I know camber plays a roll in steering. I do believe my camber may be a little positive right now..

My relevant rig setup is as follows:

2021 Badlands Sasquatch w/2.7
37x17x12.5 Yokohama Geolandar MT 003
Factory wheels with 1.5" spacers to clear UCA's
Icon Dynamics Adjustable Coil Overs
Icon Dynamics Billet UCA
.75" bump stop spacers installed front and back to limit rubbing with 37s
JKS Max Clearance Kit
JKS Tie Rod Braces

Lots more mods, but I think those are the only that matter for this conversation. Steering is still factory other than tie-rod braces being installed. Photo 3 shows the problem the best - you can see both front tires are on pretty slippery surfaces (the entire obstacle challenge is to get through without slipping and smashing your entire vehicle body into that car sized boulder)

So... any ideas? Anyone else have this issue?

1669682502536.png

1669682706765.png

1669685134859.png

This last shot is just a really nice photo from the same trip..

1669684311532.png
Where was the trail and was that a wash, possibly Sycamore Canyon? I noticed 4 peaks in the background. (I live in Mesa)

OP
OP
Theherofails

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Where was the trail and was that a wash, possibly Sycamore Canyon? I noticed 4 peaks in the background. (I live in Mesa)
Yep. Rocker Panel Pass connected to Upper Sycamore. Started having the issue going back through the first two obstacles after clearing it the first time. Really washed out this year after the crazy monsoon we had.

I map trails for OnX Off-Road and was out looking for a connection between Upper Sycamore and the trails to the north (Thrill Ride). No luck that trip - the old mining trails are crazy overgrown right now.

MaxtheMonster

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Yep. Rocker Panel Pass connected to Upper Sycamore. Started having the issue going back through the first two obstacles after clearing it the first time. Really washed out this year after the crazy monsoon we had.

I map trails for OnX Off-Road and was out looking for a connection between Upper Sycamore and the trails to the north (Thrill Ride). No luck that trip - the old mining trails are crazy overgrown right now.
Thank you very much!

Sponsored

MaxtheMonster

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

BTW, OnX Off-Road is a cool app. I just signed up

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't begrudge the guy at all. Most people don't have the time or skill to design this part, even if it is rather basic. If he can sell it all day at $350, its worth $350. It's just not worth $350 to me, and I have to laugh out loud every time someone tries to justify spending that much on a piece of Delrin. Grade 2 titanium would be cheaper! Of course, it'll chew your steering rack to pieces.. trade offs I guess. :ROFLMAO:

My steering still works perfect for regular driving and off-roading at about the 7 and below level. I'll just avoid the big rocks until I find a good bulletproof solution - ideally a third party rack designed to take a bit more abuse, but I think I'll be waiting a minute or two for that.
It's not the piece of plastic that costs $350, it's the piece of mind that your rack won't pop like a zit in the middle of nowhere.

It's insurance. We all begrudgingly pay a LOT of money towards insurance and complain... until we need it.

Leesnell91

Black Diamond
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond Advanced 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It's not the piece of plastic that costs $350, it's the piece of mind that your rack won't pop like a zit in the middle of nowhere.

It's insurance. We all begrudgingly pay a LOT of money towards insurance and complain... until we need it.
EXACTLY!!

BB spent a lot of time and money developing a solution to a problem when nobody else was willing to do so.
$300-$400 is a lot cheaper than a new rack AND it’s actually obtainable. At the time the product was released steering racks were all back ordered. Even still hard to find now.
Not everyone knows how to engineer something like this and do it properly.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

EXACTLY!!

BB spent a lot of time and money developing a solution to a problem when nobody else was willing to do so.
$300-$400 is a lot cheaper than a new rack AND it’s actually obtainable. At the time the product was released steering racks were all back ordered. Even still hard to find now.
Not everyone knows how to engineer something like this and do it properly.

Well the one bushing doesn't actually fix the problem. It completely ignores the passenger side so you need his other half.

Problem is by the time you buy the bushing and the other and, you've reached the price of a HOSS rack.

Which makes the decision harder. If his solution was cheaper than a new rack, I'd jump on it.

Leesnell91

Black Diamond
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond Advanced 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Well the one bushing doesn't actually fix the problem. It completely ignores the passenger side so you need his other half.

Problem is by the time you buy the bushing and the other and, you've reached the price of a HOSS rack.

Which makes the decision harder. If his solution was cheaper than a new rack, I'd jump on it.
still debatable on if the severe duty rack can handle much abuse. Not many have tested it at all from what I’ve seen. The hoss 3.0 is still a cast aluminum housing and is part of the issue as well hence the housing upgrade by BB.

It’s still a matter of timing too since BB part came out over 1.5 years ago before ford even talked about a severe duty rack.
I don’t have much faith in the 3.0 rack yet.
im just saying BB tried to fix the problem and be helpful to our community and spent a lot of time and effort to test and produce a product to fix issues that arise.
Sponsored