Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250, Ford Expedition Max, Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How long has the bushing been installed? Recently? Don’t see how that could be the problem but Its possible. Just for for reference I Installed 1.5 wheel spacers few months back and I took them off because it made the steering feel stiffer like the rack was working harder to turn the tires with the more aggressive offset I added. I just added front bumper and winch and I also noticed right off the bat that the wheel feels a little stiffer while turning when stopped. Both my scenarios have lead me to believe the rack isn’t just weak structurally it’s also mechanically weak. Too bad we can’t do hydro assist like jeeps.
I have a new bumper waiting at home and a winch mount and winch on backorder. I hope this doesn’t increase the problem but it makes sense that it would with the extra weight.
Sponsored

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would lean towards overheating and/or the BroncBushing being the culprit. There was another post on here about the bushing causing steering issues but I would have to search it for the details. I was going to ask if the front lockers were accidently engaged but it doesn't sound like that was the case.

A couple of other notes for you as well,
- Looking at the terrain in your pics, airing down to 9psi seems unnecessary and 15 - 18psi may have been more ideal and placed less stress on the system. I rarely go under 10psi and only do so if it is extremely rocky.
- Carry a small hand saw with your recovery gear. I don't know how big the tree was you encountered but a good bow saw or hand held will make light work out of a 6" tree in the way. Bigger than 12"?, yeah I'm turning around too.
- Always, always, check the depth of water/puddles. It blows my mind how many people just charge through without checking the depth.
- If wheeling alone (without another vehicle) best to do so with a winch. Sounds like you already addressed that issue

I have a lift, 37's, aftermarket bumper with winch, stock tie-rods (2 spares with my recovery gear), mostly run 15psi when wheeling and have not had any steering issues (knock on wood). I also have had the BroncBushing sitting in my garage for weeks and have not got around to installing it.

Edit. Not trying to lecture you but just trying to offer some helpful tips.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a new bumper waiting at home and a winch mount and winch on backorder. I hope this doesn’t increase the problem but it makes sense that it would with the extra weight.
It sounds like you gave your Bronco one HELL of a workout, and found a minor limitation. Extra weight in front is surely going to add to the limitation, but now that you know the symptoms to look for, and know that the solution is to let the thing take a cool down break, you should be able to manage it. Hopefully Ford will release a HD rack like raptor and HOSS 3.0 for us Badlanders that wheel hard!

GreyZ

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo 350z, Bronco Badlands, Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If it is the original bronc bushing they had issues with them being too tight. This would greatly increase the work load on the eps. I could see that, combined with the 37s, 9psi, and a good coat of mud on the rack causing the eps to overheat.

Sponsored
OP
OP
shawn6107

shawn6107

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would lean towards overheating and/or the BroncBushing being the culprit. There was another post on here about the bushing causing steering issues but I would have to search it for the details. I was going to ask if the front lockers were accidently engaged but it doesn't sound like that was the case.

A couple of other notes for you as well,
- Looking at the terrain in your pics, airing down to 9psi seems unnecessary and 15 - 18psi may have been more ideal and placed less stress on the system. I rarely go under 10psi and only do so if it is extremely rocky.
- Carry a small hand saw with your recovery gear. I don't know how big the tree was you encountered but a good bow saw or hand held will make light work out of a 6" tree in the way. Bigger than 12"?, yeah I'm turning around too.
- Always, always, check the depth of water/puddles. It blows my mind how many people just charge through without checking the depth.
- If wheeling alone (without another vehicle) best to do so with a winch. Sounds like you already addressed that issue

I have a lift, 37's, aftermarket bumper with winch, stock tie-rods (2 spares with my recovery gear), mostly run 15psi when wheeling and have not had any steering issues (knock on wood). I also have had the BroncBushing sitting in my garage for weeks and have not got around to installing it.

Edit. Not trying to lecture you but just trying to offer some helpful tips.
The pics don’t really do the terrain any justice. Those were where we aired up and down but most of what we actually did was all rocks, 3”-18” tall on the loose rocks, and rock ledges 3”-20” in height, until we made it into the heavy trees. 90% of it was uphill or downhill at about 7 to 20 degrees. Not anything super hard core but not anything easy either. You’re right, I probably would have been fine running a higher psi since I never slipped a tire other than in the mud. I’ll definitely experiment with 15 next time and see how it goes.
The treetrunk was about 5’ high laid over. Not something I wanted to take on with a hand saw but I do need to get one to carry 😉.
Couldn’t agree more on the mud puddles and the winch. I gave in to peer pressure and paid for it (been cleaning on the inside of my rig for hours already today 👎). Thanks for the feedback.

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What I was trying to say in my original post is that it doesn’t make sense to me that the angle of the tie rods would be the problem in this situation. That doesn’t mean they’re not the problem all together. I’m trying to figure it out. I’ve only had the lift and 37s for a few weeks now.
For those who are actually trying to think constuctively and help me figure this out, thank you.
Ah, gotcha. Alright so pending @flip ’s diagnosis, if it really is your steering motor going into limp mode, I’m going with it’s the angle of your tie rods pushing up on your ballscrew into the housing on the passenger side and that’s making your motor say “I’m done” til you reset the bronco and it just works again. It’s easy enough to check if you’re willing to drop the rack. You’d just remove the housing on the passenger side to check for cracks/rubbing and check your ballscrew for shavings. Here’s what I had on my ballscrew when I wiped it with a shop towel:
Ford Bronco New Steering Problems while on Epic Adventure E0025DDB-7917-449F-A8CF-4DD0EC8F7AE6

the tiny bits of black are metal shavings from the aluminum housing. was hardly anything but I never hammer on it off road with it being a first year vehicle and all. I’d rather not be the Guinea pig if I have other proven rigs.

Video here (first 5min covers the how to):

If it really is this, the people in here saying it’s your bushing and braces would be partially correct. They’re causing it in that they’re enabling your steering rack to push itself that hard without breaking the slack adjuster on the driver side first, or bending a tie rod. That’s the problem when you upgrade things in general. You’ll find the other failure point somewhere else if you’re hard on your stuff.

good news is he made a part to prevent this. Bad news is it’s pretty pricey and won’t do much for a heavily damaged steering rack because you’ve already had those metal shavings grind through your rack. A little bit is okay but there’s a point to where the rack becomes infeasibly repairable.

https://broncbustertx.com/products/passenger-rack-and-pinion-billet-aluminum-housing

Last edited:

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Curious: Were you using GOAT modes? Or manually engaging the transfer case and other features?

OP
OP
shawn6107

shawn6107

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Many thanks to @flip for looking up my codes. There are overheating codes on the power steering control module that correspond to my steering outages. That’s what happened for sure but it also showed the same code when I moved it 20’ from one parking spot to another today. It is 95 outside and it was 99 yesterday but it could mean the sensor on the control module has a problem. I appreciate the help in figuring this out.

OP
OP
shawn6107

shawn6107

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Curious: Were you using GOAT modes? Or manually engaging the transfer case and other features?
GOAT modes. Mostly rock crawl while manually engaging and disengaging front locker. I did run mud/ruts once in the mud.

Sponsored

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Many thanks to @flip for looking up my codes. There are overheating codes on the power steering control module that correspond to my steering outages. That’s what happened for sure but it also showed the same code when I moved it 20’ from one parking spot to another today. It is 95 outside and it was 99 yesterday but it could mean the sensor on the control module has a problem. I appreciate the help in figuring this out.
Interesting, same symptoms as others who ended up purchasing that housing. Next time that happens, could you restart the bronco and see if that fixes it immediately? Turn off, open the door, wait a couple seconds and turn it back on.

either way this goes, my first route would be seeing if the dealer would warranty this fix (likely a rack replacement). Do you have everything and more that would make them deny it? Maybe but doesn’t hurt to try:ROFLMAO: but do remove those braces at least before taking it in.

Last edited:

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There was another post on here about the bushing causing steering issues but I would have to search it for the details.
That was probably me! Im one of the few Broncos that has an out of spec steering rack which the first batches of the bushing didn’t account for. Made my steering really tight and unable to return to center on its own. When I finally figured out it was the bushing and not the new UCAs that went on same time, they sent me the updated one.

OP
OP
shawn6107

shawn6107

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Interesting, same symptoms as others who ended up purchasing that housing. Next time that happens, could you restart the bronco and see if that fixes it immediately? Turn off, open the door, wait a couple seconds and turn it back on.

either way this goes, my first route would be seeing if the dealer would warranty this fix (likely a rack replacement). Do you have everything and more that would make them deny it? Maybe but doesn’t hurt to try:ROFLMAO: but do remove those braces at least before taking it in.
It depends on how hot my turbos are. If they’re heated up, I’m not shutting it off until they cool down. According to what @flip found in the service manuals, this is definitely heat related but until I can get it in the shop and inspect the housing, I don’t know if it’s more than that, or if it’s a sensor, or a recalibration issue from when I changed my tire circumference in Forscan, or if it’s a damaged rack. Because of the circumstances and what’s pointed out in the service manual, the most likely scenario is it just overheated due to the ambient temperature, my 500 point turn right beforehand and being aired down on top of that. It literally points out all of the things I did except airing down and says it will just do that from time to time in those conditions.

I’ll know more next week after get back home.

GreyZ

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo 350z, Bronco Badlands, Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It depends on how hot my turbos are. If they’re heated up, I’m not shutting it off until they cool down. According to what @flip found in the service manuals, this is definitely heat related but until I can get it in the shop and inspect the housing, I don’t know if it’s more than that, or if it’s a sensor, or a recalibration issue from when I changed my tire circumference in Forscan, or if it’s a damaged rack. Because of the circumstances and what’s pointed out in the service manual, the most likely scenario is it just overheated due to the ambient temperature, my 500 point turn right beforehand and being aired down on top of that. It literally points out all of the things I did except airing down and says it will just do that from time to time in those conditions.

I’ll know more next week after get back home.
If you are in low range, it is almost impossible to have your turbos hot enough to need to worry about shutting it down. Just a reassurance that you likely don't need to worry about it unless you are in high range really wailing on it in the mud.