First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Anyone know of availability of steering column mounted shift paddles? Will Ford do it for the Raptor and would it be possible to add to a Outer Banks?

The little toggle on the shift lever really doesn't work that well...
Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

God, I hope not.
Our BMW X4 has paddle shifters on steering wheel. Must be a sports car (we drive it like one). I hardly use them but did so the other day, and discovered that the paddle shift worked even without shifting into manual mode. And so as soon as I got back in my Bronco I determined that it would act similarly, meaning one could downshift , particularly, and occasionally upshift with the buttons, without shifting into M. What happens after downshifting is that the transmission returns to auto upsetting.

I agree that the position of the buttons is awkward and would agree that a different method might be better, such as with my aforementioned X4. When we shift it into manual mode we can then change gears by toggling the gear shift lever itself

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I use the little toggle all the time, mainly when going down long hills to keep my speed in check. Cops love to hang out at the bottom of the hill with their radar. In higher gears, even coasting with your foot off the gas isn't enough to keep the thing from creeping over the limit, so toggling down to 7 or 6 will give you enough engine braking to maintain a constant speed.

Our old Explorer had the paddle shifters, which I preferred, and they worked the same way.

Sponsored

gryphon1231

First Name
dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Anyone know of availability of steering column mounted shift paddles? Will Ford do it for the Raptor and would it be possible to add to a Outer Banks?

The little toggle on the shift lever really doesn't work that well...
Sounds like you should have bought a manual

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
#thatguy ☝

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

NOT A SPORTS CAR...

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Paddle shifters are very handy. No I don't know about when you're driving off-road and bouncing around but you shouldn't be hitting them if your hands are placed right.

But driving down the road to be able to quickly hit a paddle shifter to down gear is very handy. I will miss this feature.

Sponsored

drew707

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Raptor has magnesium paddles. I don't think that's a simple retrofit though.
Sure it is. Buy the steering wheel and bolt it up. The paddles are integral to the wheel itself.

Not for sure on the wiring but I wouldn’t be surprised if it worked out of the gate. This mod has been achieved numerous times on regular F-150’s and even Super Duty’s though they needed a harness to use the paddles. Looking at the electrical diagram the wiring is supposed to be present for the select shift feature on the columns end.

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Energi, Ducati XDiavel
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Sure it is. Buy the steering wheel and bolt it up. The paddles are integral to the wheel itself.

Not for sure on the wiring but I wouldn’t be surprised if it worked out of the gate. This mod has been achieved numerous times on regular F-150’s and even Super Duty’s though they needed a harness to use the paddles. Looking at the electrical diagram the wiring is supposed to be present for the select shift feature on the columns end.
That would be pretty cool then, if only the dash worked in a way to make paddle shifting usefully...real tach and gear indicator would be nice.

drew707

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That would be pretty cool then, if only the dash worked in a way to make paddle shifting usefully...real tach and gear indicator would be nice.
Yeah I mean the full solution is to drop in an Explorer/Raptor cluster

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ‘1928 model A, “23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Yeah I love paddle shifters that actuallydo something when ya pull them but if they work like the buttons on the shifter, no so much...
Sponsored