Blaylock1988

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, 2004 Volkswagen R32
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I didn't realize how thin the metal on the stock hitch receiver was, my BAMF one looks a fair bit thicker. I can't say I'm surprised it bent some. The trouble is the 4/7 plug connection is mounted to the stock receiver, so if you go with an aftermarket reciever then you'll need to move that.

I did mine like this:
20220816_220656.jpg
Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

It's not about not blaming Ford or blaming Ford, but specs are specs and you can't argue with physics. It's just math. Once you start deviating from that, it's on you. Yea, we as consumers have come to expect the tolerances to be greater than what they report, but how much greater can you expect?

That's not saying they couldn't be better, of course they can, but in this situation, he created a pretty big lever and then put max foce on it, which is literally just math. He exceeded the limits and it failed just as predicted by Ford.
How anyone can be surprised at that is the real question.
Just curious, where in the towing guide does it specify the maximum hitch drop?

Because with a Raptor being an estimated 2-1/2” higher than Squatch, I’m going to need a drop hitch to be able to tow.

sniffHound

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Broken flux capacitor. A new one solves everything.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So what bent? I don't see the hitch support brackets bent and yet it is obviously at an angle.

When you look at the crossmember are you sure it didn't buckle where the hitch mounts.

Sounds like Ford made the crossmember a crumple zone which doesn't make for a good tow point.

Need to figure out a way to reinforce that crossmember ...... Or maybe somone will make a steel bumper with a hitch built in.
I asked that question before but OP hasn't answered. From one of the pics, the mounting bolts appear to be angled slightly so maybe the rear cross member has a twist. It would be good to get an answer.

DriveAllNight

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One Very Cool Ride
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Just curious, where in the towing guide does it specify the maximum hitch drop?

Because with a Raptor being an estimated 2-1/2” higher than Squatch, I’m going to need a drop hitch to be able to tow.
I have no idea, but the bigger the drop, the lower the max tow weight goes.

Sponsored

66GT

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Marauder, 66 Mustang GT, 65 Ranchero, 64 Comet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

robepa

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2006 Tacoma, 2020 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

On the pragmatic side I had been considering this, now its in my definite plans to add the Raptor style bracing. You can see how it is positioned to resist the bending moment. It may not clear non Raptor exhaust but having something fabbed up doesn't seam too challenging.

My trailer loaded is ~2300 lbs. and pulling it off road is probably "outside of the design specs". I would say loads coming over obstacles have to be in excess of on road emergency braking. I don't know how much of a drop hitch I will need (Bronco is in production now). Personally I like the smallest lift that will let me clear 37" with full articulation so I am guessing 2-3". Also the hitch on my trailer is high, non lifter vehicles need a raise hitch to tow it.
Ford Bronco Sudden stop, bent hitch. 1663613134805
Ford Bronco Sudden stop, bent hitch. 1663613155001

Last edited:

TakeNoGuff

Badlands
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Armada, Dodge Ram 2500 4x4, Soon Bronco BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Still no pics. I smell trollpost
I think you are correct. Bent just with a sudden stop, I doubt it, hit something with the 6" drop, maybe, or backed into something with a 6' drop, more likely.

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have no idea, but the bigger the drop, the lower the max tow weight goes.
agree. both extenders and drops change this, moving weight around. 15-25% is the minimum tow weight reduction when adding a drop, 50% is probably safe. other variables include setup and height added to compensate for tongue weight/drop.

Complete Guide to Towing with a Weight Distribution Hitch - Weigh Safe (weigh-safe.com)

also note that here is the weight distribution from a study of materials used. you can see standard weight distribution.

Ford Bronco Sudden stop, bent hitch. 1663678693919

still agree with others though, the actual tow design is not optimal by ford and lends to this issue. then again the bronco isn't really built to tow.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

On the pragmatic side I had been considering this, now its in my definite plans to add the Raptor style bracing. You can see how it is positioned to resist the bending moment. It may not clear non Raptor exhaust but having something fabbed up doesn't seam too challenging.

My trailer loaded is ~2300 lbs. and pulling it off road is probably "outside of the design specs". I would say loads coming over obstacles have to be in excess of on road emergency braking. I don't know how much of a drop hitch I will need (Bronco is in production now). Personally I like the smallest lift that will let me clear 37" with full articulation so I am guessing 2-3". Also the hitch on my trailer is high, non lifter vehicles need a raise hitch to tow it.
I was thinking of the same thing, of course the oem muffler would have to go.

But in looking at those braces, not sure how much support a basically flat bar, already bent in 2 spots is going to help.

Now if it were square or round tubes I can see it. Ford did increase the towing capability for the raptor.. so maybe they are stronger than they look.

Sponsored

DriveAllNight

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One Very Cool Ride
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
still agree with others though, the actual tow design is not optimal by ford and lends to this issue. then again the bronco isn't really built to tow.
And there it is in a nut shell. It's not really a tow vehicle, it is really just for very light duty stuff, great for bikes, small little trailers things like that.

I'd be willing to bet you're going to run into bigger issues if you start reinforcing and ,whether directly or indirectly (6 inch drop hitch) start towing above max weight.

I say, keep the weak breaking point a cheap fix, and it will hopefully keep you from pushing its limits, really bad things will happen.

Mainerunr

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Anyway, I don’t have pics right now. I’m extremely busy. When I inspected it, it looked like the vertical receiver brackets are what bent. I don’t believe the crossmember bent.

I own a metal fab shop, and build all sorts of aftermarket accessories for boats, so I am educated in all aspects of metal engineering, and load, torque, etc.

I’m sure the drop hitch was a factor in the issue. My question was if anyone else has seen this issue. There has to be thousands of lifted broncos that have towed out there.
I don't know anyone who owns a metal fab shop who has actual engineering experience or background, maybe you do but I doubt it. Being able to quote tensile or shear strength of a particular metal/alloy doesn't mean you understand what they actually mean. If you own a shop, I do think you have a lot more experience with metal fab than most people here and are probably in a better position to assess what happened from a practical standpoint and maybe work out a bracing system to prevent it from happening again (when you have time).

At any rate, thank you for pointing out an issue, I don't see any responses that anyone else has run into a similar problem so maybe your receiver has a material defect. either way, there are limitations and maybe you just found one. I've been wondering about this (not related to a 6" drop specifically, more related to bending moment on the crossmember and have wondered whether a receiver mounted to the frame would be much better...or a bumper with built-in receiver)

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I love folks blaming everything except ford’s weak design...what do ya think is gonna happen when folks hook a 10,000lb winch, tow strap, snatch strap to that 3500lb receiver
Absolutely nothing, because an inline pulling force on a shackle in the receiver is entirely different than a long moment arm pushing force on a ridiculous drop hitch.

jjack50

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2016 F350 4WD Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just so everyone is clear, I have not complained about Ford, claimed warranty, or said I don’t have any responsibility for the issue. I found a weak part, and wondered if I was the only one.
Here are a couple pics that display it.

I don’t think I’ve seen the answer to this, did you have brakes on the trailer? Surge or electric?

DriveAllNight

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One Very Cool Ride
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I don’t think I’ve seen the answer to this, did you have brakes on the trailer? Surge or electric?
Based on the outcome, I'd say it's very safe to say trailer brakes were not used when this happened.
Sponsored