Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I search for a bit to try and find a thread for this so forgive me if this has already been discussed.

I've had my Bronco for a week now and I'm not super impressed with Sync 4 at the moment. So I realize there was an XM issue on Saturday, that was certainly part of the concern, but I'm seeing other annoying bugs as well.

First, when I end a phone call it seems like it take 30 second or so for the radio to come back on. Maybe it's something to do with my 2 year old phone and the connection, IDK, just seems weird.

Also after I make a phone call it seems to not let me go back to the radio page for the main display, it just get stuck on the Android page. I have to bring the navigation page up, then it lets me but the go to the radio page.

Anyone else seeing issues? I've checked for updates but none are available.
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don’t have an Android phone, so can’t speak to that part of it. BUT, if it is anything like CarPlay, then it is really designed to be used exclusively in lieu of the Sync and not in conjunction with Sync.

I thought that was a bit strange, but I’ve asked a few people… and nearly everyone I asked who uses CarPlay and Android Auto will only use that feature and rarely use the default Sync radio.

I personally disabled Apple CarPlay completely and noticed Sync 4 was a lot more responsive. Doesn’t have to bounce back and forth between CarPlay and Sync. Just uses the default Bluetooth connection for phone calls.

SigSauer226

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Ford Mustang Fastback, 2011 Ford Mustang G
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm having a problem but not the ones you mention. Mine goes back to the radio very quickly but I'm usually listening to Pandora via the phone so going back to Sirius might be different. Not sure.

My biggest problem is that sometimes my phone call audio go through the phone not the car speakers even though I'm connected.

ou812545

Outer Banks
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E60 M5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Same here. Having issues with Apple CarPlay. Had the car for 6 days.

-Doesn't always connect when I get in and start the car
-Today I was on a phone call and my screen went black. It eventually came back on when I was backing up.
-I would agree with another post that, switching between Sync 4 and CarPlay seems glitchy.
-When on CarPlay the right pane with the Nav was half blacked out.

Not sure if I need to do a restart or reset or bring it into Ford.

Sponsored

J.C.

Big Bend
First Name
J.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Owned mine for less than 12 hours and the APIM (computer that controls Sync 4) completely stopped working. Screen froze when trying to disconnect Apple Play and then went black. Never came back on. Even disconnected the battery thinking everything will reset. No luck. Any way, on day 2 now of it being at the dealer and they are waiting on an entirely new APIM.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Sync4 is no different than the previous Sync versions. Learn where the fuse is and pull it often. No need to pull the battery cable, that resets alot of other stuff you dont want to reset as often as Sync will need it.

SigSauer226

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've found a possible fix that seems to be working for me. When I get in the truck, I make sure I let it wirelessly connect to Android auto and then hit the icon on the screen. Then, if I need to plug it in I plug it in. It seems to be working if I let it connect wirelessly first.

Jim

navi

Base
First Name
Navi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
My iphone doesn't connect automatically to sync when I start the Bronco.
Are you supposed to go to the connect phone menu every trip?

SigSauer226

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My iphone doesn't connect automatically to sync when I start the Bronco.
Are you supposed to go to the connect phone menu every trip?
No I just wait about 20 seconds and the Android Auto icon shows up across the bottom and it connects. I think there is an option to Auto connect or resume in settings.

Sponsored

J.C.

Big Bend
First Name
J.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I did learn from the Ford customer service center and my dealership that the software for the APIM needed an update that is launching this Sunday. They have delayed shipping my replacement APIM until this software can be updated as they think this is what caused the entire system to crash. Not sure if this will be an over the air update or if you will have to take to the dealer to update but it sounds like this could fix some of the Sync 4 issues.

MostHumblest

Big Bend
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Recently been having an issue where Android Auto will freeze. Does any one know if there a way to force close AA while driving and return to the sync home screen? Thinking a button combo might do it but can't find one. Can't use the ford sync icon on the home page because it's locked up. Not always convenient to pull over and restart car/phone to clear it.

Owner manual only has options for turning on and off android auto as an option, and even then you still need access to the sync home screen.

MostHumblest

Big Bend
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Recently been having an issue where Android Auto will freeze. Does any one know if there a way to force close AA while driving and return to the sync home screen? Thinking a button combo might do it but can't find one. Can't use the ford sync icon on the home page because it's locked up. Not always convenient to pull over and restart car/phone to clear it.

Owner manual only has options for turning on and off android auto as an option, and even then you still need access to the sync home screen.
I finally found the answer somewhere else. Reset by holding power and seek right buttons for 10 seconds.
https://www.ford.com/support/how-tos/sync/sync-4/how-do-i-perform-a-master-reset-with-sync-4/

Last edited:

CKXVII

Outer Banks
First Name
CK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Owned mine for less than 12 hours and the APIM (computer that controls Sync 4) completely stopped working. Screen froze when trying to disconnect Apple Play and then went black. Never came back on. Even disconnected the battery thinking everything will reset. No luck. Any way, on day 2 now of it being at the dealer and they are waiting on an entirely new APIM.
Pretty sure I’m in the same boat as you. My Sync 4 has been more consistently glitching out than working properly. It shuffles between apps, music, functions, & calling my speed dial contacts. Delays & temporary freezes are common.

I let the Ford technicians work on it for the day and in short, they’re ordering a new 12” touchscreen unit… They think the issue is related to components behind the screen 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: R11

erics667

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2.3L MT A51, 1974 Ford Bronco Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I saw no advantage to running Android auto, didn't like it. I uninstalled it, turned off the prompt. I just merely use Bluetooth now like any other head unit for calls and messages. Much happier now.
Sponsored