Sponsored

Tailgate strut - is there a way to make it perform better or replace it?

SillyPosition

Badlands
First Name
Silly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is it just me that feels that access to the cargo area is so annoying because of the tailgate being SO heavy?
I mean, its not that its heavy but it just wont move that easily because of the strut that is barely extending when tailgate is opened.

I feel that I need to push it all the way open because it wont "pop" anywhere by itself.
Sponsored

Jruta

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A51 Bronco 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Base
I believe it’s designed to work that way so you don’t inadvertently swing it open into another object. Not sure about a replacement.

OP
OP

SillyPosition

Badlands
First Name
Silly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I believe it’s designed to work that way so you don’t inadvertently swing it open into another object. Not sure about a replacement.
I get it that it should be done carefully but even to 45 degrees it wont flex out by itself
As a father I have kids that go to school with giant bags of stuff and I always use the trunk for bags.
It makes the experience annoying

Mortonm

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I get it that it should be done carefully but even to 45 degrees it wont flex out by itself
As a father I have kids that go to school with giant bags of stuff and I always use the trunk for bags.
It makes the experience annoying
it is also to keep it in place so when its in those 3 stop positions, so the wind etc wont blow it closed on something or someone

thebigbadyeti

Base
First Name
Jonbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Oldsmobile 442
Your Bronco Model
Base
I feel like the gas strut is there to keep it where you leave it. Not push it open. There are a few situations I can think of where that is more beneficial than the door pushing out by itself. And afaik there don’t seem to be any other options for it.

Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It's not welded in place. Two nuts to be removed and it'll swing around and tire can contact the right fender and leave a mark.

For $3/10' and you only need 6' and Tom hanks charcter Otto will help you fight to pay only $1.80 you can replace with rope chain or cable.

Or (I was going to save this for day after the end of this month) remove and reverse the install. Now it'll swing open easy and shut hard

Sponsored

MattJ716

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Explorer ST - 2023 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Where would the spare go?
Cool idea but wondering the same.. and even if did drop down nice with the tailgate.. a bit heavy to close I'd say haha

0ne

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Base
Olden days the spare and frame attached/hinged to the body corner, latched to the gate separately and swung around the side free by itself and could be secured on the passenger rear quarter/fender then the gate dropped down.

Medic2586

Big Bend
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Big Bend Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Olden days the spare and frame attached/hinged to the body corner, latched to the gate separately and swung around the side free by itself and could be secured on the passenger rear quarter/fender then the gate dropped down.

Sponsored
---^^^ WHAT HE SAID!!!

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It is the stupidest and most annoying thing on the car. And the car doesn’t even have rear cup holders. It is truly a pain and stupid hassle. What the hell was ford thinking? Oh they weren’t. It’s not a big deal but the kick back after you open it a third is ridiculous. It has knocked stuff out of my hand.

SS Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco , F600, F5, LJ20
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can buy a replacement strut. It may not say for bronco tailgate, but if you measure it and match the ends you can get a lighter unit from a good auto parts store.
Sponsored