First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Interested in this thread because I want a skinny tire (and hopefully lighter) on a stock black rim for the spare that’s the same diameter as the tires in the ground. (35’s or 37’s to be decided)
I mean, how often and how long does anyone use the spare? Only critical dimensions are circumference, speed rating, and load capacity.
I personally prefer to run a matching spare. Don’t want to have issues getting off a trail if I cut a tire and put the spare on. I also do 5 tire rotation’s to keep the wear as even as possible on all 5. If your not doing any off road driving then I guess a cheap basic spare with a cover on it would definitely work to get you to a tire shop. These mickeys were about 20lbs heavier than the stock tires but depending on what tire you are running it may be possible to find a generic spare that’s the same diameter as what you are running but with less weight.
Sponsored

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
that’s exactly the tire Started this thread about lol. Finally got them dirty yesterday.
Haha. Ridiculous. I’ve been preemptively digging deep on tires again and forgot that this thread was started about this spec.

Harsh at all being E rated and that heavy? Going from those very soft/road friendly Grabbers.

I’m not too concerned about MPG since I’m currently sitting at 16. But, do you notice a difference?

OP
OP
Dover157

Dover157

Black Diamond
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Haha. Ridiculous. I’ve been preemptively digging deep on tires again and forgot that this thread was started about this spec.

Harsh at all being E rated and that heavy? Going from those very soft/road friendly Grabbers.

I’m not too concerned about MPG since I’m currently sitting at 16. But, do you notice a difference?
Definitely notice a ride difference from the grabbers but it’s not really unpleasant, it just rides like a truck now. Also noticeably a bit slower on acceleration due to the increased size and weight but again not an issue for me just had to relearn what speeds to shift at, I don’t think I want to try anything larger as these seem to be at the edge of what the 4.46 gears can turn. I personally loved the traction and ride of the grabbers but the New Mexico rocks were tearing up the sidewalls and I knew I wanted E rated after a gravel road took out one of my factory C rated grabbers. So far I don’t regret the mickeys but only about 600 miles on em at the moment. Some pics of what happened to the grabbers.
Ford Bronco Tall and skinny tire time. IMG_4432
Ford Bronco Tall and skinny tire time. IMG_4430
Ford Bronco Tall and skinny tire time. IMG_4164
Ford Bronco Tall and skinny tire time. IMG_4170

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks for the feedback. I agree on the 4.46 & 34/35”.

Sponsored

xmod

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, Toyo 4Runner TRD, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Any lift?
No lift - just standard non-squatch Badlands suspension. Now it sits as high as my wife's Sasquatch Outerbanks.

HPNQ420

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '19 GTI, '88 R100GS, HPN BMW G/S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You may be a genius lol. At 2604 was still a little off, dropped to 2600 and it’s spot on below 40 and at 70 on display GPS was bouncing between 70-71 which I can live with. Ford must have used common core math when they set that algorithm up.
When set correctly the digital speedometer will read 1 mph high.

Air Biscuit

Black Diamond
First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That’s my next endeavor, correcting the Speedo

OP
OP
Dover157

Dover157

Black Diamond
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Some observations after 6000 miles. Went with a lower pressure when I got them installed to offset the stiffness of being load range E. Was running at 30 PSI and the ride was pretty good but fuel mileage took a hit. Went from 21-22 MPG on the factory grabbers to 16-17 on the mickeys. Ride was slightly rougher than the grabbers but not by much. Took it in for rotation at 5k and the guys at discount followed my directions on where I wanted each tire place for a 5 wheel rotation, but did not read the part about PSI and set them all back to 39-40. Immediately noticed a difference in acceleration when leaving the shop, the pep it had on the factory tires was back. On the highway headed home the ride was certainly rougher at the higher PSI but I was too lazy to stop and adjust it. After noticing the dashboard display of MPG was higher than before I decided to leave them at 40 to see what happened. Now a few weeks later MPG has gone back up to 19-20. It definitely rides like a truck at that pressure, but I don’t really mind since I was not expecting luxury car floating anyway. Off road they have been great. Dealing with some damage to a mountain top communication site I aired down to 10 PSI and had no problems blasting through 2-3 feet of heavy frozen snow. Once I encountered drifts over 5 feet it was just too much and I had to winch out and head back down.
Have definitely learned a lot about PSI and rolling resistance on the highway though. I knew it had an effect on performance and economy but did not realize exactly how much until I experienced it myself. As of now I would still recommend these tires. Just keep a few things in mind. They are heavy, especially on a steel wheel. They make more noise at highway speeds, not a horrible loud or annoying amount but the hum is there. At proper PSI they will ride rough on the highway, if you want your bronco to ride like a luxury suv you won’t like them.
to end a pic of how much snow was on top of the mountain after they were able to clear the road.
Ford Bronco Tall and skinny tire time. IMG_4815

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Try 35 psi, that's where I run my LREs, lost about 1 mpg from oem tires and doesn't ride too bad.

Air Biscuit

Black Diamond
First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I was curious about noise after some wear. New I’m very surprised how quiet they are considering how they look.
I’m running them 35 psi at the moment.
You’re not kidding about the weight. I’m no slouch and let me tell you after I mounted them, putting them back on the bronco, these on the steels wheels have some weight to them.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Glad to see the updates!!
I was just looking into this again tonight and saw this thread was updated ... kick ass .... karma. LOL

I dropped the Toyo's (35 x 11.5 C) down to 28 or 30 this winter and they edged out of being dangerous in wet/snow etc. Certainly nothing to brag about.
They're pretty squishy at that PSI.

When the shop had them at 39 I was getting some pretty good open highway mpg's ...flat land, 21 mpg , 5th gear, 2700 rpm. I couldn't believe it, but hand calculated over several tanks of fuel, same result.
I can tell it's way off that now, but at 39 psi you couldn't do a normal take off from a stop sign if it was wet. They just didn't stick. Hard ass truck rubber.

I have a line on some BD steelies, might jump into the 255/85 MT's and get the steelies painted the same argent/silver as the Base steelies color.