Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You’re right, I didn’t test the Bronco in terms of its off road capability. I tested it more so in how 95+% of my use will be. So the only thing I’ll disagree with you on is its merit as a daily driver. For that use, it is not as good as my 4Runner Limited, to ME it just isn’t. And perhaps that’s not a fair comparison because what I drove was soft top, cloth seats, low end (but adequate) radio. My 4Runner is optioned out quite a bit higher end. Once I get the WT version I ordered, probably in late 2022 or early 2023, I may change that opinion. Here’s the thing. I built a 74EB that by the time I was done it was a super off road machine, 35” tires, 3.5” SL, 1” BL, Smeding 427 cid windsor 390 hp at the rear wheels, built C4, Detroit locker in the back, and on and on…. Without breathing hard, it would have sailed thru anything that I have seen via the videos of the Texas Off-Roadeo. Thing is, I hardly ever drove it for that or anything else. I discovered all the fun I had was in the building and not in the driving it was set up to do. Test driving that WT reminded me of that same situation, i.e., getting a vehicle that was optimized to do something I likely wouldn’t spend much time doing. You are right, I am going to try again at the Vegas Off-Roadeo because that just gives me more windshield time than I had last weekend. But I think you are getting a little too caught up in Bronco vs Jeep vs 4Runner, etc. in terms of wheeling capabilities. That’s not the point. All of them will handle very well most off road I’ll be doing here in AZ. Problem is, like you, I’m a huge Bronco fan and I’m trying to come to terms with the fact that a 6G Bronco might not be the optimum use case for me. As I mentioned in another post, I’m giving thought to building a 2G Bronco for another fun project and to satisfy my Bronco fandom.
That makes sense to me. It just really helps highlight the engineering and where the $ and value is in the Bronco vs. other choices in the market. It becomes obvious that Ford targeted specific capabilities and features that for some, will be more valuable than other vehicles they are considering. To have a top performing off road vehicle, with a removable top, that also has very good driving dynamics and lots of very innovative tech hits the sweet spot for me. Hard to capture those things in a regular test drive👍🏽
I had my own set of struggles with the compromise in towing capacity vs a Ranger Tremor that would handle 90% of my off road use and cost &10k less.
Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I didn't test drive but sat in a Badlands at a dealership today. Maybe the layout in the Bronco looks cooler than a Wrangler, mostly due to the 12 inch screen, but man the materials felt significantly cheaper than my Jeep Gladiator with leather, I have more soft touch materials around me, leather with contrast stitching on the dash, etc. Bronco uses what felt like very cheap Hollow plastic, that being said, I'll keep my order as I probably won't see one until 2023 so I have plenty of time to evaluate.

20210731_134042.jpg
I agree. I'm cross shopping the Bronco with the Jeep.

I've driven both. The bronco drives much more like a normal SUV. The ride is excellent.
The noise is similar to a Wrangler or Gladiator fitted with AT tires. (Jeeps with MT tires are louder)

So on road, the Bronco is kind of like a loud F150. Except that as you said the materials are not nearly the quality of the F150 or the Wrangler in its higher trims.

Every vehicle is a compromise. I think the Wrangler and Bronco are a wash as far as off road capabilities. More than most of us will ever need. Except maybe in break over.

Bronco
1) more engine choices compared to Gladiator. Fewer choices compared to Wrangler.
2) Better ride
3)Removable panel for 2nd row passengers
4) larger screen
5) larger interior, especially hip/shoulder room.

Jeep
1) higher quality interior materials when equipped with leather option.
2) better stereo.

I don't consider the goat modes to be a plus or minus.

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
This morning I test drove a WT at the dealer that I have a reservation at. Had an order but 99ed it to get a MY22. After this ~12 mile test drive, mostly freeway and city streets, I’m questioning whether I want to continue with a Bronco purchase. This coming from someone that owned Broncos from 1989 through 2017. There is nothing particularly wrong with the new Bronco. But driving it caused me to understand more clearly that Ford’s target was a better execution of a Jeep Wrangler. With the Bronco, they succeeded brilliantly at that. Maybe I’ll end up with a Bronco in 22 or 23, I’m just not as enthusiastic as I had been. Here are some test drive observations.

One thing I wanted to do was make sure a WT would fit in my garage. I had done all kinds of measurements using data from this site and for sure, the WT fit. That was not a surprise, but great to validate my research. My wife‘s car is missing, but it would easily fit too. No clearance problems either. Easily another 5.5-6 inches of overhead clearance.

When I first sat in the driver’s seat I was amazed at how much looking out the windshield reminded me of an EB. The raised edges of the hood are very reminiscent of an EB. Very thoughtful design feature from Ford.

One bad thing is the window fit. As everyone knows, without a frame the window must come down just a little to open and close the door. So long as you open the door slowly, all is well. But if you open the door quickly, the window hangs up a little on the molding and sort of vibrates back and forth. I seem to recall others here mention that. I’m not sure this hurts anything, it’s just not something I had thought much about.

Of course, this was a soft top. I was surprised at how noisy the Bronco is. I have seen posts claiming that the soft top was fairly quiet. I suppose this is subjective, but I thought the noise was excessive. Maybe the more aggressive tires were at fault. I have had two soft tops (see my avatar for one and an old P911-C4 for another) so I am used to a soft top. I honestly think my 74 EB with a BC Broncos safari top was slightly quieter. I mentioned this to the dealer sales manager and he said he was surprised because his soft top OB was really quiet. He claimed that the OB had sound deadening within the body. I had never heard that. Obviously I think a MIC top, particularly with the headliner, would quiet things down a little. I had planned on a color matching modular top which would also probably be quieter. By the way, the sales manager confirmed to me that the color matching top would be MY23, even though as recently as March it was listed at a MY22 option. Crap…

As has been opined by others on this site, the dash was a somewhat underwhelming. The plastic just seemed cheap. By the way, this was a Mid trim level, yet I don’t think Lux (which is what I ordered) would be any different. My personal car is a 2017 4Runner Limited and my work vehicle that gets most miles is a 2015 Tundra SR5. I would say the Tundra’s interior is pretty pedestrian, but the quality of the plastic and overall quality is noticeably better than the Bronco. The 4Runner interior is way superior. This is when I reminded myself that Ford wasn‘t trying to create something fancy, but just something overall better than a Wrangler. Again, I think they have done that in spades.

The engine was adequate. I have to admit that I drive with a bit of a heavy foot, but the Bronco seemed a bit slow off the line. From about 20 mph up, it performed very good. The transmission was smooth. I couldn’t feel the shifts. I was hoping the engine performance would be noticeably better than the 4Runner. I think it was better, but not by as much as I had hoped. Actually, I have to admit that I forgot to try the sport mode. That may have improved the engine performance a bit and I’m kicking myself for forgetting that.

I really did like the handling of the Bronco. It’s turning radius is superb. The SAS on the WT really smooths out rough pavements. I drove over a pavement that had been trenched and patched for a water line and it was smooth sailing over that bumpy pavement. I think this was the most favorable thing about the Bronco. The brakes were great, although there was an audible squeak at times.

In summary, I think the Bronco is a great execution of an off road vehicle for the masses. For sure it will take a big bite out of Wrangler sales. But for me I would give up a bit of the fancy off road stuff for a quieter, better fit and finish interior vehicle more like the 4Runner or some of the high end trucks on the market. My off roading needs are mostly rough forest service roads and snowy roads in AZ higher elevations. I guess I’m re-evaluating what I really need. This vehicle is my present to myself as I head into retirement. I still may end up with a Bronco. But I’m beginning to think I might need to give a nice F-150 or F-250 a look and build myself another EB to satisfy my almost life long Bronco addiction.

EBD3ECB7-8629-441B-8907-0A15C38CEC8D.jpeg

37815539-6C11-4AAE-87D3-EF8361EFC1B2.jpeg

FA321078-8DFD-4120-B7DC-6604B2CADC1D.jpeg
I sat in one at my dealer last week, and found the dash and interior outstanding. What makes it "poor quality", how do you judge that? Just because its not "soft touch" or look like a Toyota? I have two Toyotas and a Mazda and they have nothing on the Bronco when it comes to interior quality. Ever pull a dash in a Toyota, total crap like every other car I never been so mad in my life. I don't expect Bronco to be much different in this regard, but the fit & finish is certainly nice and thank goodness it doesn't have horrible soft touch polystyrene foam crap.

Last edited:

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is why there's been so many abandoned orders on dealer lots already, the reality of the Bronco is not always what you wanted or expected it to be.
Please quote and provide a link to the number of abandoned orders vs delivered orders? Anything over 50% delivered orders is actually remarkable.

OP
OP
Bituman

Bituman

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S-Works Roubaix, Vassago Mooseknuckle, Turner Czar
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I sat in one at my dealer last week, and found the dash and interior outstanding. What makes it "poor quality", how do you judge that? Just because its not "soft touch" or look like a Toyota? I have two Toyotas and a Mazda and they have nothing on the Bronco when it comes to interior quality. Ever pull a dash in a Toyota, total crap like every other car I never been so mad in my life. I don't expect Bronco to be much different in this regard, but the fit & finish is certainly nice and thank goodness it doesn't have horrible soft touch polystyrene foam crap.
Probably depends on the trim level you are comparing. I drive two Toyotas also. The Tundra SR5 has an interior that is closer to the Bronco although it is holding up well with 100k miles on the odometer. The 4Runner Limited interior materials are noticeably better than the WT I test drove and the Tundra. Maybe “low quality” is not the right description. The textured dash material seemed like something you might see on some type of base model vehicle, not something that costs as much as some of the higher end 6G Broncos. Ford should have had higher end interior for the higher end Broncos. But again, it’s supposed to be an off road vehicle with an interior to match, not a Benz. As I pointed out up thread, the best interior (materials and design) I have seen was a new Dodge Ram. Was that ever nice!

Sponsored

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
And only the badlands Bronco or Sasquatch can compete with a Jeep. Most buyers can’t afford the options that make it better than a jeep.

An interesting comparison for the mass media reviewers would be a stock Black Diamond vs a stock Jeep Willys vs a stock 4Runner venture. Probably never see it as all anyone can talk about is the Sasquatch package.

You don’t need to drop 50k to get a capable off roader that will meet 90% of the public’s off road use. I have off-roaded in a JL sport before and it was extremely capable. Would a base model Bronco be as capable? That’s a test I’d like to see.
Sounds to me like you already made up your mind
Probably depends on the trim level you are comparing. I drive two Toyotas also. The Tundra SR5 has an interior that is closer to the Bronco although it is holding up well with 100k miles on the odometer. The 4Runner Limited interior materials are noticeably better than the WT I test drove and the Tundra. Maybe “low quality” is not the right description. The textured dash material seemed like something you might see on some type of base model vehicle, not something that costs as much as some of the higher end 6G Broncos. Ford should have had higher end interior for the higher end Broncos. But again, it’s supposed to be an off road vehicle with an interior to match, not a Benz. As I pointed out up thread, the best interior (materials and design) I have seen was a new Dodge Ram. Was that ever nice!
I get it some prefer a more luxurious interior. One of my favorite vehicles of all time is the Jeep XJ (original Cherokee) , exposed screw heads, poor quality interior (some would say) and all. One thing that did impress me on the new Bronco is the stock cloth seats and the switch gear feels very good -- I will say Toyota quality here. I agree Ram makes a nice truck, I was going to get one before I heard about Bronco. Even the base model with a few upgrades is pretty nice and won't brake the bank.

93_SVT_3503

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150, 1967 Bronco U-14, 1993 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I test drove a WT at a local dealership had really the complete different impression. I thought the soft top seemed quiet, didn’t notice the road noise like the OP. I have a ‘17 Tacoma and can say that the bronco’s interior is far superior than that of the Toyota. Toyota is way in need of a refresh- it’s boring and lacks quality. I thought the 2.7 had a lot of power and get up and go.
A lot of these drive reviews are so subjective and really should be taken with a grain of salt. Best advice drive one for yourself and gather your own insights...

55F1C645-1380-45B9-8667-7F6CF36FA31D.jpeg
Is that Sioux City Ford? They told me they weren't doing test drives with that one?

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is that Sioux City Ford? They told me they weren't doing test drives with that one?
Yes it is...
I think it depends on what salesmen u get. One told me no one day and the next day they threw me the keys..

this dealership is horrible. I’m glad I didn’t give them my business.

Bulletbill

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Sounds to me like you already made up your mind
I’m not going to lie, I am close to dropping my reservation. What the Bronco has is nostalgia for me. I owned one when I was younger and I love the look of the 6g.

Nostalgia only goes so far though, and I feel like a lot of things promised never came to be. From the saddle interior on the demo, to the white tops and trim, the MOD top, the bring your own device rail, trail maps, a delivery date…I could go on for a while, but you catch my drift.

The reality is, there was a lot of hype and promises made by Ford. They delivered on some of those, but failed at a lot of others. I’m giving them till MY23 to fix their current issues, and simultaneously show me the Bronco that was in the initial release video advertising the comeback. Otherwise you’re right, I don’t see the point in buying one.

Last edited:

jimmy234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You forgot to mention all the overlanding stuff strapped to the top and sides of all those “offroad lifestyle segment” vehicles. I really like that phrase…ha.
Offroad lifestyle? ha, yea I thought that was a pretty standard term for the segment, but maybe I just created something brilliant? lol

Yea, I love seeing the jeeps with all the overlanding racks and stuff that are never filled with anything and the jeep looks like it's never seen a speck of dirt.

Lots of stuff in life is about appearance, so I don't suppose I should be shocked by any of it. Still entertaining, though.

Sponsored

93_SVT_3503

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes it is...
I think it depends on what salesmen u get. One told me no one day and the next day they threw me the keys..

this dealership is horrible. I’m glad I didn’t give them my business.
I was there right after they got it off the truck. The sales manager told me she was buying it after the demo period was up and didn't want the miles on it. And yes, most of them are pretty clueless as to anything about the Bronco. I used to stop in there every month and talk to a buddy of mine about new details as they came out, and the other guys sitting around seemed like they could care less. I mentioned pricing a few times and they kept telling me there's no way to get one under MSRP. I showed them the Granger offer and was shrugged off. One of Fords biggest releases and they just sh*t the bed on it.

Dave_1978

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I get it some prefer a more luxurious interior. One of my favorite vehicles of all time is the Jeep XJ (original Cherokee) , exposed screw heads, poor quality interior (some would say) and all. One thing that did impress me on the new Bronco is the stock cloth seats and the switch gear feels very good -- I will say Toyota quality here. I agree Ram makes a nice truck, I was going to get one before I heard about Bronco. Even the base model with a few upgrades is pretty nice and won't brake the bank.
I guess you could look it with the Bronco Sport and F150 for a good comparison on what people mean. But beyond that, it quality issues too like wiggly grab handle that most likely need gorilla glue to keep secure at this point. Panels that don't line up correctly causing gaps. Yes it's an off road vehicle and this is give an take but 50K is still costly and the Bronco doesn't live in a bubble.

One reason I'm still holding out for the Bronco however is it's still a convertible SUV that works better as a daily driver than a Wrangler because of the IFS.

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was there right after they got it off the truck. The sales manager told me she was buying it after the demo period was up and didn't want the miles on it. And yes, most of them are pretty clueless as to anything about the Bronco. I used to stop in there every month and talk to a buddy of mine about new details as they came out, and the other guys sitting around seemed like they could care less. I mentioned pricing a few times and they kept telling me there's no way to get one under MSRP. I showed them the Granger offer and was shrugged off. One of Fords biggest releases and they just sh*t the bed on it.
I tried to give them my business but they couldn’t guarantee pricing, the salesmen I talked to said they were “auctioning” off the WT to the highest bidder! I laughed and walked away.

where are u located?

93_SVT_3503

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I tried to give them my business but they couldn’t guarantee pricing, the salesmen I talked to said they were “auctioning” off the WT to the highest bidder! I laughed and walked away.

where are u located?
South Sioux

93_SVT_3503

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

where are u located?
On their Facebook page, they said the Rapid Red one that was customer ordered and came in the week before was going to get swapped for a 5.0 :LOL: :censored:
Sponsored